The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Watneys Red Barrel.  I'm the (proud?) owner of a tankard dated 1961 which holds "pint to brim".  Obviously of more value empty than full.

Bill

Bill, your tankard is always full, but never of red barrel! If nothing else, it will always be full to the brim with air!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Frazzled Fraggle again.

I recall a decent pint of Tetleys in Leeds, Baz - talking of dives - the Lord Nelson in Holbeck.  A friend's In-laws had it in the 80's-90's, beer was good.  Pub was.....less so.

Of course even Newcastle Brown is brewed elsewhere now.  I recall a brewery visit (with the Institute of Personnel and Development - who said HR was all boring!) where they showed the separate water supply used to brew it, from a different reservoir apparently.  So now it isn't, and is, well, crepe.

I also have a reaction to a beer - Stones bitter gives me an awful headache.  It's awful anyway of course, but was better than the alternative McEwans Best Scotch when I was but a lad, until I began to get the headaches.  Beer here is sort of OK, Okells do a nice IPA, and Bushy's beers are good.  I have to say that because Martin Brunschweiller allows the archery club Mrs NHN belongs to use his land!  His beers are OK though, really.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I have a couple of Red Barrel pint glasses, I can't think where I got those from...…………………………………………….(students eh!)

When we moved to South Derbyshire I took the kids into Burton on Trent, they were both gagging, wanting to know why I had brought them to such a stinky place, indeed with the wind coming up the A38 we got a mix of beer, coffee from the Nestle factory at Hatton and the sewage farm all mixed in together......nice...…………………...not.

I suspect that the luvly smell (not!)from the breweries of Burton is the reason that I never became a drinker. Horrible!

Edited by laurenceb
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ref44 said:

Brings back memories of working at Plaistow nick. Silvertown area with the brewery, Knight's glue factory, Tate and Lyle's refinery and a mile up the road Beckton Sewage works. If the wind was in wrong direction, the resulting aroma was distinctive!

It certainly was. Says he who lived on Viccy Dock Road for a year 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

39 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

I suspect that the luvly smell (not!)from the breweries of Burton is the reason that I never became a drinker. Horrible!

The irony is I used to make my own beer, wine and cider, guess I did it on a much lower level of smell.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

I really didn’t like beer until I left the Midlands. 
I went with my grandfather to Burton once. He wanted to get his haircut. I didn’t like the smell, I did like the little loco crossing the road near the brewery. I also remember being shocked at the awful racist remarks my Grandfather made in the barbers. I went and sat outside.  I was really pleased to get back home. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Our club room sin Dock Street in Leeds was next door to Tetleys Brewery. Out local (the Adelphi) was the dray mens local so the beer was OK.

As a student I drank Tetleys dark Mild, Timothy Taylors, Sam Smiths but not Websters or John Smiths..

In the North east we drank Strongarm or any other real ale we could get! 

I have always had a problem with Newcastle Brown Ale..I prefer Sam Smiths Brown..

Nowadays I struggle with some of the "Craft" beers as they can be like Grapefruit Beer - and I hate Grapefruit!

Now I need some shut eye so Goodnight all!

baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Simon G said:

I have spent an hour this evening looking at a layout and vast amount of stock that belonged to a modeller who recently passed away.  There must have been nearly 100 locos, both UK and US, with a mix of DC and DCC.  Providing a valuation is going to be a real task, as a lot of the locos were kit built, and a number apparently don’t work.  The owners daughter (who I haven’t met) may have unrealistic expectations as she thinks it all could be worth around £10k.  In my view, she will only get anyway near that by selling items individually on eBay or Facebook sites, which would be a long task.  She may see what a couple of relatively local dealers will offer, which I suspect would come as a shock to her.

Typically, a dealer will offer about 1/3 of what it will sell for.

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Problem was the grains still contained alcohol and we found great amusement watching drunken pigeons trying to fly. 

I think one of those may have flown into one of my windows a couple of weeks ago, it made a right bl00dy mess too!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15