The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a strange thing!

ERs has disappeared from Wheeltappers:  At least on this computer.

I can only access the thread if I see it in the latest activity or by going into my profile and looking for a previous post I've sent.

I presume I've pushed the wrong button somewhere along the line.

Any suggestions?

Or is it a fiendish plot to try and get rid of me as I have outlived my usefulness?

log out from RMweb. clear your browser history and cookies. log in again. That should cure the problem. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have been looking at pub projects recently. No names, no pack drill, but one brewer sells one of its bottled beers to its tenants at a price 50% higher than I can buy it in Tesco. Any wonder that so many pubs are closing. The traditional brewers are killing them off.

If I were a pub landlord I think I'd suddenly take an interest in shopping at Tescos....or even paying a fiver for them to deliver (do they deliver booze?)

Unfortunately, no doubt there is some crafty small print in the pub lease etc.......

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

Greetings all from a very cold LBG.

Tonight sees the company quiz, held in the downstairs room of a pub by the river, which, last time I went in it, did a decent pint of Taylor's Landlord.

When I was a student 30+ years ago, we thought Tetley's was awful and would try to go to any pub that wasn't tied to it - which, in Leeds took some effort. The further you went away from Leeds, the better Tetley tasted - I think it was the sur aftertaste that got us - and the best pint of Tetley's I ever had was at the Coach & Horses in Hexham. I was never a big fan of Bodingtons either - even the Cheshire lads in Leeds didn't rate it highly, far preferring Robinsons. For us, the best pints we could get were Theakstons (still brewed at Masham back then), Timothy Taylor's (occasional guest beer at the Fox & Newt, Burley St) and the Fox & Newt's own brewed Old Willow. I wonder if its significant that I more easily recall the beer than I do some of the more esoteric points of medieval history....

The beer at home was Fremlins and Flowers, brewed pretty locally. or at least, the hops were grown locally. Maybe drinking that coloured my view of Tetley.

These days I am happy drinking London Pride, but the local micropubs always have a good selection of lesser known names to choose, usually with some indication of how far the brewery is from Sidcup. The distance doesn't generally sway my choice - the desire for a particular style usually does.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thank you  for that but Nope!

however, removing ERs from the Ignored Topics list did fix the problem!

What I want to know is how it got into the Ignored Topics list in the first place.

One has to question whether the Obergrumpenfuhrer's sense of humour might have had something to do with this.

I was just about to suggest you had accidentally selected “ignore topic”. The same happened to me when I was on holiday afloat. My finger must have touched the ignore topic “button” on the first page of ERs. There are probably other ways of ignoring the topic from other menus!  

Tony

• Like 7
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, Tony_S said:

One Christmas a bank completely messed up and locked Matthew’s student bank account. It was locked as while he was initially trying to sort it , the telephone assistant said as Matthew had answered a question by asking me something he was unsure about, he had to lock the account for security purposes. So next day Matthew went into a local branch to close the account. The manager (in full Christmas party mode) said he could only take out a small amount each day. When we went back the next day a nice lady who was training a young cashier apologised profusely, closed the account and made sure we were happy. She then asked if we had a moment would Matthew help her trainee by raising a formal complaint about what had happened the day before. I suspect a little tension between management and staff!

Wouldn’t happen now though, all the banks we have accounts with have closed their local branches. 

Tony

I had an online account with ING, which I found quite easily accessible and useful for small savings.

it got transferred to Barclays after which I found I could no longer access it without a card machine or by telephone banking. The card machine didn't work and they never sent the telephone banking stuff. The replacement card machine worked but then the card expired and they didn't send another. I left the balance there earning interest until they told me that as I hadn't used the account they would take the money away and keep it safely until I had forgotten it completely after which it would be all theirs. (well actually they didn't say all that but that would have been the effect of doing nothing).

I eventually got round to phoning and asked to close the account, giving the details of where I wanted the money to be; this flummoxed the woman on the phone because I wasn't on telephone banking and my mobile phone and e-mail details had changed. I couldn't update them online because the card was out of date and I couldn't request a new card because I wasn't on telephone banking. Eventually the only way around all this was to be sent telephone banking details, so that I could promptly pick up the phone and close the account. That was several hours of my life I won't get back!!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

4 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I remember going to Llanelli and as we walked from the station to the town centre we saw a bar that looked a real dive, some scruffy looking blokes were unloading loads of cans from the back of a beaten up car into the pub. Not even one decent looking can so we walked straight past. Even Spoons was down to the worst level of any that we have been in and service was definitely not for strangers in town like us. The best thing about Llanelli is the station.

Looks  like any train trip into London is off the cards due to a person getting in the way of a train at Anerley this morning. It took my other half nearly 45 minutes longer to get into work and she was the first by a long way as she has learnt some of the alternative routes from me. Many GW Worms cancelled along with Southern services so she is going to have fun trying to get home. Might get bus into Croydon and meet her there then bus home after the usual pubs / bars visited. Not the railways fault this time but I suspect a good part of the South East where Thameslink trains run are up the creek. The sooner the Thameslink is made a metro local suburban service the better but suspect that I will dreaming for this for a long time.

When I walked through LBG an hour ago the signs were saying that the TL service would get back to normal by 3. That may be optimistic.

• Informative/Useful 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Presumably you were happy that they still had one hole in? ;)

There was always someone in the staff room who made that remark. I usually replied I would bring them back after use for them to check. 

Tony

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I had an online account with ING, which I found quite easily accessible and useful for small savings.

it got transferred to Barclays after which I found I could no longer access it without a card machine or by telephone banking. The card machine didn't work and they never sent the telephone banking stuff. The replacement card machine worked but then the card expired and they didn't send another. I left the balance there earning interest until they told me that as I hadn't used the account they would take the money away and keep it safely until I had forgotten it completely after which it would be all theirs. (well actually they didn't say all that but that would have been the effect of doing nothing).

I eventually got round to phoning and asked to close the account, giving the details of where I wanted the money to be; this flummoxed the woman on the phone because I wasn't on telephone banking and my mobile phone and e-mail details had changed. I couldn't update them online because the card was out of date and I couldn't request a new card because I wasn't on telephone banking. Eventually the only way around all this was to be sent telephone banking details, so that I could promptly pick up the phone and close the account. That was several hours of my life I won't get back!!

Matthew’s account was with Barclays. I asked why he had an account with them as we all used another bank. He said at 6th form student enrolment day “a woman” kept pestering him until he signed up.  Somehow they had recorded his birthday incorrectly and this caused real problems with online banking. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Tried a pint of Young's Original a few days ago. That has been moved twice in recent years: from Wandsworth to Bedford and now from Bedford to Burton. Original used to be known as Ordinary. Not the best brand name admittedly but it was a lot less ordinary back then than the insipid pint I had last week.

Youngs used to be good but went off it when it moved to Bedford especially the Winter Warmer that was a superb Burton style beer but awful when Charles Wells tried to imitate it and I haven't seen it in many years. Our local Youngs pub best ale is St Austell Proper Job!! They used to serve keg Meantime Yakima Red but now its Beavertown Neck Oil which I find very bland and service can be poor as it was last Tuesday where no staff anywhere visible in a large pub so after waiting a while I walked out.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t recall drinking Courage but I am sure it was their brewery our coach was stuck outside for ages on a school trip to Chessington Zoo (before it became adventurous ). The smell caused one child to vomit, then loads of her classmates joined in. The two other teachers feigned not to notice so I ended up dealing with them. After that I always insisted that sick bags should not have holes in them when planning trips. 

Had that problem when working in Guildford opposite Friary's and also in Burton on a number occasions in the 70s.

• Friendly/supportive 12

16 hours ago, bbishop said:

Someone came down from Head Office to the Stroke Club this afternoon.  I was told that our club already had two first aiders so my certificate wouldn't be renewed unless I was prepared to relocate to another club.  I know that I'm merely a volunteer but they are treating me as a resource who can be moved around as required, without consultation.  Feeling very unhappy.

Bill

More than a bit naughty, what do they do if the others depart? insist that you go back.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Bit busy today and attending a talk by Simon Kohlner this evening so I will leave collecting my new computer until tomorrow, I wasn't expecting it to be ready until Monday anyway. Got to get ready for this evening, be back later.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Beer drinking, used to be a lot of fun, then became boring, now getting interesting again with small brewers getting some of the market back. Leicester was surrounded by good beer brewers in the 1950's and 60's but made none itself, Everards was never a beer I could take to. Ruddles used to be good, ditto Banks's, Marstons and Bass, but we had to search long and hard to find it. Double Diamond seemed to be more common than Watneys in Leicester in the mid late 60's when I was a student. I now seem to be allergic to something in beer, possibly due to the amounts drunk as a rugby player, and only have the occasional pint, cider however does not affect me at all. I began drinking Phipps Bison brown ale as a yoof in the early 60's.

• Like 16

I had a Car Sales business opposite Gale Ales at Horndean in Hamshire, and NOT being a drinker it made me feel quite ill at times when the wind was in the wrong direction, (AND I'm not talking about MY WIND), haha.

HSB anyone? Horndean Special Brew!

• Like 17