The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

190 miles ish...3.5 hours from home to derby by car ( on a good trip) .. £ 60 is petrol. 

Train £75 booking ahead,  4 hours plus, 2 or 3 changes of train.  Then I'd have to get to the station 10 miles away.. 

Flying  3.5 hours plus via Edinburgh or Amsterdam!!!  £ 275 minimum!!! 

Bus 6hours 20 minutes with. 3 changes.. 

Some thought will have to go into this if I were to try to make it. 

But think of the environmental footprint.

The whole thrust of high speed (300Kmh or greater) is about reducing this and getting there faster than air travel (with its incumbent security checks and prolonged agony between arriving and leaving, etc.) The Air France check-in for flights from Bruxellles to Paris is at Bruxelles Midi (Zuid) station! You're going by Thalys TGV!

I know you have to get to London to achieve this, but London to Amsterdam, 20 min check-in time, 4 hours in the train and no waiting for your baggage to come round on the carousel because it's with you all the time.

A couple of years ago, I travelled from home on the South coast to Derby three times in 5 weeks, all day trips by train.

OK, given that the starting point may have an influence on the trip, for Amsterdam, Paris, Bruxelles, Zurich, Derby, it's train all the way for me!

• Like 15

14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Here in the Pacific Northwest are forecast to have a grand total of 0.1" (2.5mm in new money) of rain tomorrow. While rain was rumoured in the area yesterday, where I live there was little more than dampness evident on the ground. We are well into what is usually the wettest month of the year with very little in the rain gauge (apparently 0.24" at the airport, but I've seen none of that) and are now more than 3" behind what is "normal" since the beginning of October.

Unlike the 75% of the US that will experience wintry weather tomorrow, here in the Northwest we are expecting a high of around 15°C. 

It has been delightful Autumn weather, but it is odd. Hopefully the mountain snow will come. We drink and bathe in this in August.

Same weather up here in WA although don't really need rain for a few days while our decks are finished!

In my skiing days, we were always concerned about yellow snow!:fie:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

5 page catch up today 

I felt a bit under the weather today after walking the dog, I had some Heinz mushroom soup and all is well totally knackered I had a kip this afternoon as both meals out have been deferred.

I'm off to bed to bury my head in a good book, sleep tight :superman:S.L.Eepie :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I noticed some estimates of cost / time etc getting to Derby. It is possible as a day trip from here but just out of interest I looked at some hotel prices overnight. I think for one hotel to include “all rooms include toilet paper “ as a point of interest may not be as good an indicator of quality as they think.  Is this normally extra in the East Midlands?

I wonder which hotel that was ?  Obviously living here, I don't use the local hotels but I'll try to answer any queries.

Mike

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Nothing of note happened during the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, apart from the sun shining, YES, I said sun shining! Both cakes were also made, I just have to decorate the carrot cake tomorrow morning. I also managed to make a couple of MERG kits. One was a reverse loop controller and the other was an event sequencer. The later can control up to 5 events, with an adjustable time delay between them.

Goodnight all

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

1) It's Thanksgiving week here and there are only 3 work days anyway. It's INSANE to travel in the US that week and I never do!

Yes. Business travel during Thanksgiving week is inconceivable. Worse is travelling on the Sunday of the Thanksgiving long weekend - it is the absolute worst travel day of the year.

Presumably the snowy weather in the east will have dissipated by then. I can only imagine the chaos of the combination of widespread snow and Thanksgiving.

• Like 19

MrsID "suggested" it was about time we had a heated towel rail in the bathroom. I considered circulating water from the hot water tank through a cleverly constructed series of large diameter copper tubes until I discovered low output (120 Watt) electric towel rails are not ridiculously expensive. Then I found a nice example online that was "used", meaning someone had bought it and had no idea how to install it. I bought it for about 30% of the regular price.

The only snag is all the bits of conduit required to connect* it cost as much as I paid for the blinking towel rail.

*Fear not. The connection will be fully compliant with the NEC (National Electrical Code) and fed via a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) aka RCD.

• Like 19