The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Debs. said:

If they'd enjoy coming; having partners along too, would be really nice (esp. from my talkative perspective).:imsohappy:

At present that weekend is free although it is the BH weekend with the Friday being the BH. My other half would almost certainly be coming as we would make it a weekend visiting various good pubs in and around the area possibly including Sheffield aswell.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Any idea which railway company it is from...?

Can't be a Grate West Tern engine.

It hasn't got pannier tanks or is a 4-6-0...…………...

As others have mentioned and considering the location somewhere by the Dart, it definitely is Great Western but what of the carriage?  Something painted over(?) for sure, but what?  Film companies are renowned for efforts such as this but as this was shot in the UK(?) there wasn't much effort here.:O  Even spaghetti Westerns usually had a balloon funnel or a snow plough, at least!

Brian.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Now a little translation test from French to English - with a difference because we are talking railway terminology and not literal translation.  So what is the British railway terminology equivalent of the SNCF term 'saut du mouton'?  (Oh a small clue, the answer has nothing to do with the transportation of livestock.)

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

'saut du mouton'

I'm thinking "Pig's Ear", but that is a knee-jerk reaction!

Peut etre c'est quleque choses a faire avec les mouches!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

As an advisor, I need a higher level of child protection training than occasional helpers, so have to get the relevant boxes ticked on my qualification card.

Aditi always seemed to get “volunteered “ for the advanced training. Not so much child protection but vulnerable adults. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. An ER's get together? How about making it at a preserved railway? The GCR appears to be the ideal venue, centrally located and easily accessed. Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Someone did suggest the NRM, thats also a possibility.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. An ER's get together? How about making it at a preserved railway? The GCR appears to be the ideal venue, centrally located and easily accessed. Has anyone got any thoughts on this? Someone did suggest the NRM, thats also a possibility.

The GCR is close to the UK’s centre of population Phil but I’m not sure what facilities it would have to host such a gathering, having never been there myself. I wonder what accommodation could be found nearby as those making a long journey to put faces to names may wish that it includes an overnight option. It would have to be arranged around the GCR’s events too.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening, with weather far from conducive to outside activities I made myself scarce from the auld wifies gathering in our living room and adjourned to TOSH where some scattering of adhesives and green synthetic grass along with the movement of things reminiscent of my childhood took place along parallel bits of metal...…………………...most enjoyable(I think I might have snuck that bit of muddling under the wire...…………….)

G'night all

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

The GCR is close to the UK’s centre of population Phil but I’m not sure what facilities it would have to host such a gathering, having never been there myself. I wonder what accommodation could be found nearby as those making a long journey to put faces to names may wish that it includes an overnight option. It would have to be arranged around the GCR’s events too.

Another option would be an event under the auspices of RMweb.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Leap Frog? Flyover?

Exceedingly warm - just a matter of some terminological exactitude needed.

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

“chevauchement”. I thought that was goats cheese but Aditi said it wasn’t cheese. 
She liked the vision of sheep leaping over railway lines though. She is still amused by our outing to see Shaun the Sheep recently. 

Again very warm and as it happens as near spot on as makes no difference for the literal translation of the phrase among various SNCF folk (rather than a translation given online).

G'night all

• Like 13