The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I note you've lot are following me around,  from. California, Caister,  near me now,  through Sutton near me,  through Sutton bridge on the way north to California, falkirk, near my parents  ( dads in falkirk hospital) .

Then back down Pennsylvania,  Bath.  Bath being where I spent the first few months of my life. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

We could always use the site of New Zealand sidings in Lancaster.

Good morning all from a quite bright Charente. Once again thanks for all the thoughts and concern.  The first parts of the cunning plan have worked well.  I'm off train watching in about an hour and after picking Joan up should get to Beth at about 2pm.  Fingers are crossed. 

I like the idea of a moisture meter, I may well invest in one.  At the moment our logs are stacked on pallets and I have to remember the provenance of each pallet load. Here they say that timber must have been felled at least 2 and a half years before it's burned. What we burn is mostly oak. We tend to use a mix  of offcuts from the barrel naking industry and logs bought from neighbours in the village. However we have ash, sycamore, fir, pine and plum from our garden. I try to not use too much of the pine and fir at the same time. It's very different from just turning on a gas boiler.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Probably more than you ever want to know about water content here

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr06.pdf

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is curious that there are so many places named "California" in the UK.

Would it not be that the US State is named from one of these locations, rather than the other way round?

Think New England, New York ...

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2019 at 19:05, Northroader said:

Didn’t the kids at school used to go “I’ll show you mine if you’ll show me yours?”, I thought that was something to do with it.

They certainly did. Behind the bike sheds or in the gym showers. At an all-boys school with an all-male staff

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 9

11 hours ago, Kingzance said:

There is a newly established memorial to The Merchant Navy on The Hooe which I hope to visit at some time. I would be very obliged if you could doff your beret on my behalf to the very many that memorial finally represents. Thanks in anticipation.

With the passing of the years as well as the passing of the participants, it will take a dedicated response to keep these events in the public eye.  I well remember such parades on Plymouth Hoe, even bands in the bandstand (long gone) on the Hoe and the military marching on Royal Parade and down Tavistock Rd.  I can no longer witness these events in person but we always watch the Ceremony at the Cenotaph on the BBC which was usually televised in full but all we get now is an excerpt lasting about two minutes.  The same over here; very little on Remembrance Day, war films on TV, and not much on Dec.7th (more war films); even Trumps plans for a grand parade ala May Day in Moscow, fizzled when it was found there was not enough military might to be found and it cost too much and ruin the Washington boulevards!

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, brianusa said:

With the passing of the years as well as the passing of the participants, it will take a dedicated response to keep these events in the public eye.  I well remember such parades on Plymouth Hoe, even bands in the bandstand (long gone) on the Hoe and the military marching on Royal Parade and down Tavistock Rd.

I remember those as well - I have some photos somewhere from the Western Morning News. They'll turn up someday

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

59 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

They certainly did. Behind the bike sheds or in the gym showers. At an all-boys school with an all-male staff

Our school never had showers gym or otherwise; come to think of it there wasn't any at home in those days.  Friday night, bath night and that was it!  Now we have three bathrooms, two upstairs and one down and we're all clean as a pin!  Hard to believe though in this day and age!:stinker:

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I forgot to mention earlier some of the items I obtained from the swapmeet. First off was a 1/43rd scale Bedford OYD army truck from a French partwork. The other items were 1/72 scale diecasts, the first a Winnebago motorhome that when I dismantled it proved to contain some sort of electronic gubbins. What its purpose is and what it does is a mystery. It will be going into my pile of code 3 projects. The last item is a diecast replica of a Nissan Cube, similar to Cararama models but by a company called Epoch, no I haven't heard of them either. Tea to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Would it not be that the US State is named from one of these locations, rather than the other way round?

Think New England, New York ...

Not in this case. Las Californias were named by the Spanish and not for a location in the UK.

Now the city I live in (Portland) was certainly named for the island in Dorset by way of the town in Maine. It was almost named Boston for the town in Lincolnshire by way of the town in Massachusetts.  The story goes that two early residents (one from Maine and one from Massachusetts) tossed a coin to decide how to name Portland, Oregon in 1845. Prior to that, the locals called it, (accurately it appears) "Stumptown". 

Actually, New York is not named for the city of York. At the conclusion of the third Anglo-Dutch war in the Treaty of Westminster (1674), the Dutch traded  their North American colony (New Netherland, which included New Amsterdam on Manhattan Island) for Suriname. The colony of New York and the city were named to honour the person of the future King James II, while Charles II was king and James was the Duke of York. At the time he was also styled the Duke of Albany (his Scottish title). The capital city of New York state is consequently Albany rather than Orange. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

Of the 13 North American colonies, no fewer than six were named for royal personages.

Virginia - Queen Elizabeth I

New York - King James II (as Duke of York)

Maryland - Queen Henrietta Maria (consort of Charles I and known in England as Queen Mary)

North Carolina - King Charles I / Charles II

South Carolina - King Charles I  / Charles II

Georgia - King George II

Delaware was named for the Delaware River which was named in honor of Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr who had been Governor-for-life and Captain-General of the Colony of Virginia.

Pennsylvania (Penn's wood) was named to honour Sir William Penn (who captured Jamaica). His son (also William Penn) was given proprietorship of the colony to settle his late father's case for prize money.

New Jersey was named (by James II as Duke of York) to honour Sir George Carteret who had been the Governor of Jersey. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not in this case. Las Californias were named by the Spanish and not for a location in the UK.

Now the city I live in (Portland) was certainly named for the island in Dorset by way of the town in Maine. It was almost named Boston for the town in Lincolnshire by way of the town in Massachusetts.  The story goes that two early residents (one from Maine and one from Massachusetts) tossed a coin to decide how to name Portland, Oregon in 1845. Prior to that, the locals called it, (accurately it appears) "Stumptown". 

Actually, New York is not named for the city of York. At the conclusion of the third Anglo-Dutch war in the Treaty of Westminster (1674), the Dutch traded  their North American colony (New Netherland, which included New Amsterdam on Manhattan Island) for Suriname. The colony of New York and the city were named to honour the person of the future King James II, while Charles II was king and James was the Duke of York. At the time he was also styled the Duke of Albany (his Scottish title). The capital city of New York state is consequently Albany rather than Orange. 

I knew about the New Amsterdam / New York but had never heard the origin of Albany!

Little to report from NEHerts, a day full of pottering, entertained the two grandsons who temporarily ran away from home as their eldest sister was in a foul mood and mother was consequently affected, face-timed my sister in Crete and then some idiot box later on. After last night’s delayed bedtime, I shall turn off the light shortly and see what tomorrow brings. Nice to hear Jamie’s update is positive and I hope the same is true for other strugglers.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2019 at 04:32, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Thanks Michael for explaining gender reveal, I didn't know what it was. I just hope that it doesn't catch on this side of the pond.

It will - Its spread down here and is popular with natures  'special' people like these ones.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

... even Trumps plans for a grand parade ala May Day in Moscow, fizzled when it was found there was not enough military might to be found and it cost too much and ruin the Washington boulevards

Avoiding the politics, this parade concept was originally instigated by a Bastille Day event the President attended - not a solemn remembrance by ceremonial troops suitable for either Memorial or Veterans' Day.

The President's vision was for a gratuitous demonstration of might, with heavy weaponry, similar to something that the DPRK or Russia might stage. In particular he really wanted tanks. The District of Columbia insisted that any street damage had to be paid for by the Federal Government.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

Evening all, busy day in Perth and a long and late drive back, it was trying to snow on the way back, 2 degrees and falling, had a nice day with the grandkids and SWMBO had a nice day out being spoilt by the daughter in Auld Reekie. My old rugby teamhad a good win at Sutton & Epsom (seems to be in the news on here today), the less said about the Tigers the better...…………….

G'night all

• Like 19