The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Glass is not recycled here, it just goes to the landfill. The recycling company stopped accepting glass as they claimed that they were losing money on it.

The Oregon Bottle Bill of 1971 was the first in the US to apply a state-mandated deposit (separate from what manufacturers did with reusable glass soda bottles 70 or more years ago) originally to reduce littering, (which it did) but now to encourage recycling. This provides a financial incentive for end users to recycle and funds an organization to manage recycling.

It also includes aluminium cans and plastic beverage bottles. Glass wine bottles are exempt as are distilled spirits and grocery items like oil and vinegar and infant formula amongst others. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold

I saw a documentary a couple of years ago and it appeared that quite a lot of Australian wine arrives in the UK in rather large bladders (like giant wine boxes) and is bottled here. 
Tony

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Oregon Bottle Bill of 1971 was the first in the US to apply a state-mandated deposit (separate from what manufacturers did with reusable glass soda bottles 70 or more years ago) originally to reduce littering, (which it did) but now to encourage recycling. This provides a financial incentive for end users to recycle and funds an organization to manage recycling.

It also includes aluminium cans and plastic beverage bottles. Glass wine bottles are exempt as are distilled spirits and grocery items like oil and vinegar and infant formula amongst others. 

BC has deposits on all alcohol containers - beer, wine and spirits - soft drink containers, and some brick packs. I think it does help to cut down on litter. Even if the people who buy the drinks don't always return them, there's a whole 'economy' based on collecting and cashing in discarded containers.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Took the spare computer down to the computer shop this morning to enquire about a new battery for it. Had a call from the shop later to inform me that the cost of a new battery for it was £85 ouch! As the computer only cost me £140 new its simply not worth it. Its still usable plugged into the mains so I can keep it for emergencies such as if this computer goes wrong again. They did have a selection of refurbished second hand laptops in the £150-250 price range so I might get one of them. I took my friend with me as he wanted to see the exhibition at Rayleigh museum marking 130 years of the Shenfield-Southend Victoria line, quite an interesting little display. We then popped into the covered market a few doors down from the museum where there was a stall selling last months magazines and remaindered books. Among the latter was a book on trolleybuses for sale at £17.99 remaindered from £40 so as they are one of my interests I purchased a copy. 

32 minutes ago, Debs. said:

Vivid and lucid dreams can often be  precipitated by taking certain prescription drugs.......so, perhaps your Furry Pandamonium Creed experience, is all on the NHS. :mosking:

That reminded me of about 45 years ago a colleagues wife was being treated for Parkinson's Disease. She was on a derivative of LSD to control her condition and then her GP asked her to try a new drug. Unbeknown to her and the GP the new superdrug was also an LSD derivative. The result was that she was trying to spray everyone and everything with flyspray as she could 'see' flies crawling over everything.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Took the spare computer down to the computer shop this morning to enquire about a new battery for it. Had a call from the shop later to inform me that the cost of a new battery for it was £85 ouch! As the computer only cost me £140 new its simply not worth it.

I have a Sony Vaio laptop that is at least 8 years old and its battery is not holding a charge too well these days. It has maximum RAM and a big HDD (not solid state) but was worth keeping working as it is the only non-Apple device I have. I was able to get a new battery with a higher capacity from DuracellDirect.co.uk for under £50. I have done this previously and given old laptops a new lease of life. I have no commercial connection to Duracell!

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Debs. said:

Vivid and lucid dreams can often be  precipitated by taking certain prescription drugs.......so, perhaps your Furry Pandamonium Creed experience, is all on the NHS. :mosking:

I think it may be something I eat. Or perhaps watching something too exciting on television. I am aware of dreams but forget them usually as soon as I wake up, unless I have thrown myself around the room. I don’t think any of my prescribed medications are to blame. Steroids (no longer taken) didn’t keep me awake but I did seem to be (more) easily irritated while awake. I was advised to take all of my daily dose in one go on waking. 
I didn’t dream of sheep after seeing Shaun’s exploits at the cinema on Wednesday. 
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Glass is not recycled here, it just goes to the landfill. The recycling company stopped accepting glass as they claimed that they were losing money on it.

Someone is kinda missing the point here.  Maybe they'll get the point in a few years when we're digging up landfills to recover  glass....

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Afternoon all back from court via the pub. Celebration time. Arrived, waited, no sign of the builder. Called into court room. Magistrate informed me the builder had withdrawn his application this morning and wants to arrange terms for affordable payment. WTF!!! No doubt his accountant or other adviser had a word in his shell like about his using a personal bank account for his limited company and the sh!t storm that was coming his way if all and sundry came out in court. I have little confidence he will comply with any payment arrangement long term but I was told to start High Court enforcement just in case by the magistrate. Either way I won, he can no longer apply to set aside or appeal. 

You wouldn't be tempted to tip off HMRC, would you....  ;)  That wouldn't be nice.....(yes it would!)

After you've got your money first, of course....

• Like 3
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Arrived, waited, no sign of the builder. Called into court room. Magistrate informed me the builder had withdrawn his application this morning

Had a similar experience a long while ago with a window company. They had messed me about for 18 months then made a payment into court two days before the hearing was due. They were about to put in a bid to the local authority for doing new windows on 500 council houses so obviously didn't want the local paper picking up on it. The offer didn't pay for the hassle but it covered more than the amount I was out of pocket so it was metaphorical handshakes all round and the cash was transferred. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

All this talk of dreams has me hoping that I can get to sleep tonight.  The steroids must have worn off by now, but I still don’t feel tired yet, despite only very minimal sleep last night.

Today has been another slowly productive day on the hall redecoration.  Gloss painting done around some door frames, and the last bit of skirting board is currently sitting well clamped to hopefully straighten out some warping, after treatment with wet cloths and a very hot iron to soak and soften the wood.

Tonight has seen the AGM of the Railway Society that I am treasurer of.  After a very turbulent year, no-one quite knew how it would go, but fortunately it all went well with no further ructions.  It was also well attended, which was  good.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Someone is kinda missing the point here.  Maybe they'll get the point in a few years when we're digging up landfills to recover  glass....

You wouldn't be tempted to tip off HMRC, would you....  ;)  That wouldn't be nice.....(yes it would!)

After you've got your money first, of course....

Moi? Considering who has been paying my train addiction funds since June it would be rude not to. <evil laugh> seriously, if he comes up with a reasonable and sustainable payment proposal then I will assume he is working as a sole trader and no violation of Companies act regulations or HMRC statutes has occurred. 

• Like 17