The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Calorie counting is now part of my life, even though I'm not on a diet lol.

My weight isn’t really responsible for my lung condition but the consultant said it was a good idea anyway. I just eat less rather than calorie counting. 
Tony

• Like 18

1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Back from Sainsbury's and in puzzled mode... The once very busy and excellent store we use (and where The Boss worked) is a shadow of its former self...

Matching observation. I very rarely use Sainsbury (simply not so conveniently located as four competitors) but had occasion to go in on Monday, probably over a year from the last visit. Well, they could have livened up the store by having the dead march playing. I have never managed in retail, but demoralised employees are instantly recognisable.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Was chuckinitdarn, isn't now

Post today was that Sandy's insurance is now paid. Still waiting for the scaffolders. 

Also trying to get Sandy taken off mailing lists. Conversation with sender:

Me: "Could you take Sandy off your mailing list, please. Her funeral was on Tuesday."

Them: "Does that mean she's passed away?"

Me: "What do you think?"

Where do they find these people?

John,  they will just amend the envelope to S..... C..... Decd.  Apologies for my black sense of humour.

Bill

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Matching observation. I very rarely use Sainsbury (simply not so conveniently located as four competitors) but had occasion to go in on Monday, probably over a year from the last visit. Well, they could have livened up the store by having the dead march playing. I have never managed in retail, but demoralised employees are instantly recognisable.

Dire,  the Bromley store didn't have any soap last weekend.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Bill

We went into the new Nisa Extra supermarket today. It is the old CoOp store rebranded and with new tills.  However the assistant wanted to draw our attention to the  Indian and Polish products they have added. One customer seemed a bit agitated at the lack of super wide turkey foil. 
We were just buying milk as I think it was quite far enough for our healthy walk. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

We keep having squally showers and quite heavy too, I have just realised a down side to moving the l-y*t to the old summer house down the garden, ya get wet. Now clambering up and down a loft ladder was a pain in the butt(and a few other places too), but as least my cuppa was warm and un diluted, don't think I'll mention moving back into the house after the upheaval of moving out lol. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We went into the new Nisa Extra supermarket today. It is the old CoOp store rebranded and with new tills.  However the assistant wanted to draw our attention to the  Indian and Polish products they have added. One customer seemed a bit agitated at the lack of super wide turkey foil. 
We were just buying milk as I think it was quite far enough for our healthy walk. 
Tony

A Winco supermarket opened here a few years ago. It seems to be giving the other outfits a run for their money. Their prices are always very competitive particularly for essentials like beer and wine. The only snags are they don't take credit cards and you have to do your own bagging. They probably don't offer to take your purchases to your car either like some other establishments but I'm not in the habit of asking for that assistance (yet).

• Like 15

Speaking of wine, MrsID doesn't usually have any so I just buy the stuff that comes in boxes. Some of it is quite reasonable and it has the advantage that very little air gets in after you crack the seal.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just got the last of the boxes out of the car. Now separated into three lots, full of 'stuff', fitted out as stock boxes and empties. As some of the first mentioned are so full that the lids will not shut the last mentioned should come in useful.

• Like 17

5 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Sadly all the supermarkets are going the same way, self checkouts and people thieving is cheaper than paying staff seemingly. I was asked recently if I'd like to leave a queue for a till and self serve, I replied "no thanks, saving peoples jobs here"

A trend across the English speaking world.

I really try to avoid self checkout - I find them extremely frustrating particularly if you have produce (fresh fruits or vegetables) which can be hard to ring up, or alcohol (an alcohol purchase requires an attendant to verify the age of the purchaser).  Ironically, the other day the self-checkout attendant pulled me out of a regular queue to personally ring me up at a self-checkout till. He was standing around because no one wanted to use the self-checkout.

And it's not just supermarkets. Airlines can be just as bad. Air Canada in Brisbane insisted that I use the kiosk. This failed the first time, (and a second time for good measure). My particular combination of travel documents was too complicated for their software. In Air Canada's defence I will say that they deployed helpful staff to help people for whom the kiosk was not working. The agent who assisted me went straight to the 'old school' terminal to process my reservation.

I encountered a wrinkle in an Australian supermarket a couple of weeks ago. Many US credit cards still require a signature (mine does). When the transaction was rung up at an attended till, the search for a pen began. There wasn't one at the till. I later went back to the same supermarket and used the same till. There still wasn't a pen.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 9

21 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Speaking of wine, MrsID doesn't usually have any so I just buy the stuff that comes in boxes. Some of it is quite reasonable and it has the advantage that very little air gets in after you crack the seal.

The box and bladder wine cask - an Australian invention patented in 1965. Penfolds patented the tap welded to the bag in 1967. It is a very good solution for the reason you note - plus the packaging is much lighter leading to cheaper transportation with lower greenhouse gas emissions.

The glass and cork traditionalists have always resisted it. I will stipulate that there is drama with the presentation of a glass bottle and the sound of a cork being popped (and the uncertainty as to whether it will be tainted). For non-cellaring wines, screw tops are a good alternative but most US winemakers still insist on the more posh appearance of a cork - even for inexpensive, ready-to-drink wines.

I am seeing an increase in wine packaged in aluminium cans*. This of course is anathema to the glass and cork crowd, but I find a 375ml can to be a convenient size for one. Usually when I open a bottle I try to drink no more than half of it. I use vacuum stoppers to preserve it for the next day. There are also very fancy Nitrogen storage systems as well but this is a lot of mucking around compared with popping a can.

* These are rapidly taking over craft beer packaging in the US. Cans are cheaper and are easier to recycle than glass bottles. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Well. We're back,  out side it has stopped precipitating,  but we had lots most of the day.  That with the mud left over from many tractors moving sugar beet,  means the road is eminately suitable for hippos. 

We were only at the hospital  an hour,  after which we headed for a shop wanted by SWMBO..  Just as I started turning the wheel to turn in I noticed something.. Height bars..  So  I rapidly turned the other way,  and that shop has lost our business if we are in the landrover. So, b+m  lidl Tesco,  and the local farm shop visited.                                                                                                             

Home for an hour then off to the garage to collect the car,  other hub replaced, along with sensor bearing,   fan belts adjusted,  lamda sensor removed cleaned and refitted. A can of engine/ catalytic converter cleaner put in. With a recommendation of having a couple of tanks of BP or shell used to clean the system..  The problem with that is finding one near here,  I'll have to search for them online in a minute....   

The search will be after I've reset this tablet  the editor is playing up again.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

The back-up generator for our community water system badly needs a service/overhaul. I was hoping the service shop would come and pick it up but they declined. I'll have to put it on my truck and take it in. Should be interesting. It weighs 260 pounds!

(I'll lift it with my tractor.)

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

If they do I'll send it back to them "Current address unknown" :)

That's what I did from the start; didn't even waste the cost of a pone call but cost them the return postage!

5 hours ago, bbishop said:

Bill

Been cleaned out had they?

• Like 8
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Debs will see this and create a CNC variety of the throwing awl.

I'm sure it has been a long day for The Great Awl Wielder and I hope they are back home recuperating.

The KZWagen has been retrieved from its agent with an assurance from a rather attractive young woman in the service department that the EGRC will not fail again. Of course the less than charitable may say "not in your lifetime at least" but who knows whether I will still be driving at the next instance. The drive there and back across central Beds this afternoon in sunlight was rather pleasant and there were a myriad of foliage colours on display. Had it been earlier, I could have been tempted to venture there again with my camera and tripod but the light was failing and wetness is predicted for the morrow.

In case I break a leg or something, I am ordering some plaster bandage and chicken wire. This may of course be misconstrued as a requirement for railway modelling but one must be prepared for all eventualities.  I also have an early start tomorrow as I must complete the 3 s's well ahead of my digital inspection timed for mid-morning. I have stayed off the flax seed, liquorice, chillies and garlic just in case - Marigold, the screens!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3