The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Jamie, can you describe this for me? Here in the US "cornbread" is very popular (and delicious) but it isn't something that would easily toast, at least not in a toaster. It is more of the consistency of cake than a bread.

No problem Mike (IIRC). It's a flattish loaf of yellowish bread with quite an open texture that actually stays soft for at least 3 days. We buy a fresh sliced loaf from an artisan baker on a Sunday morning and it lasts us for Sunday and Monday when our baguette machine isn't stocked. As the slices are quite long and a bit narrow we toast them under the grill. About 30 seconds per side.  I'll try and take a photo later. It tastes lovely and we only discovered it recently.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have various spreadsheets for my stock. Needed not least for working out insurance amounts when completing exhibitors forms. However the most head scratching was working out a suitable value for demo at Warley as I am still not sure what locos I will be taking with me but at least I know the value of the DCC equipment,  PC etc.

Talking of DCC I am about to start upgrading the speakers in someone of my USA 1950's locos ready for this weekends show at Epping. Will only be two of us operating this weekend with my other half helping in the fiddleyard but luckily its a one day show.

When meeting up with friends I tend to do my best to be on time but the train service often makes that tricky. I will often get an earlier train but some friends are always late with some you are lucky to see them that day and one in particular that week!!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Mike, I'm not clearing, I'm sorting. 

John - Apologies for my poor choice of words. As others have said, it is something we all have to face at some future time. In the case of my friend he remained positive throughout his illness and although he had written a letter with brief instructions for the destination of some of the stock we had no idea how much was involved until we started opening boxes and cupboards. I took some stock to the club and came away with a substantial donation to Macmillan Cancer Care.

For many years the O Gauge Guild has run an Executor & Trustee service for the sale of deceased members' stock but I understand the future of this service is under threat due to the lack of volunteers - and the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn has also closed its second hand sales for the same reason.

Mike

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

In the evening it was round to some friends for a very nuce meal and copious amounts of local red liquid produce.  It's the first time we've been there since Beth brome her leg and long discussions  were had as to what transport to use and how to negotiate the 3 steps.  In the end the wheelchair was chosen and the crutches were taken in case manouvering was needed.  A good time was had.

Jamie.

Are you insinuating Beth fell off her Brome Broom?:D

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

I can't put in The Shed until I've laid and wired the track. At the rate I'm going Christmas 2020 looks a better option. :rolleyes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

Did your manage to sort out the 2-dimensional format of the parallel metal strips? 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 9
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, AndyB said:

Morning all. 

Woke up early thinking about work. 

Then realised that as I left the company last week the hassles are not mine anymore.  :rolleyes:

I seem to remember telling my former colleagues that I would be sitting on the sofa eating biscuits this morning. :yahoo_mini:

wheres the jealous button..

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Morning all. 

Woke up early thinking about work. 

Then realised that as I left the company last week the hassles are not mine anymore.  :rolleyes:

I seem to remember telling my former colleagues that I would be sitting on the sofa eating biscuits this morning. :yahoo_mini:

A couple of days jobs scheduled for later and a trip to the eye clinic. 

A couple of points that I'm sure many ERs will agree with:
1 - You will soon realise that you need more hours in the day so couldn't ever consider going back to work.

2 - Live every day to the full - you've earned that right.

Enjoy your retirement, however it came.

Sorry Andy, posted this just before your update so a bit of striking out applied.

Edited by Kingzance
updated in light of subsequent post
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2