The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 minutes ago, TheQ said:

"Today we took restructuring actions globally across XXXXX XXXXXXXX  to position the business to navigate the economic downturn and emerge stronger. "

and another emails just arrived 

"We’ve been talking for much of this year about economic headwinds and the need to reduce expenses. This has culminated in a decision to reduce our workforce. Today we laid off employees in each of our businesses and regions, representing about 4% of our total employee population. This is an average – our businesses have varying levels of exposure to market challenges and made decisions accordingly. "

A lot of that going around these days.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Blue sky waiting for the sun to appear.

Off to see the freehold management to get the run down on the flat I'm buying, kitchen shop next, b and q for some new paintbrushes a burger from the chuck wagon outside 

best burgers for miles around and home to some more work in the garage top up the skip and phone Hippo Bag to collect it.

Tomorrow I'm out to a pub quiz with some friends should be interesting something I've not done in years.

Yesterday the slapped #rse tried to get one over me with the Solicitors I sent a copy of her silly email to the Solicitor copied her in with my own annotations on it which denounced

her email to them it was a real madam Edith job, again she was trying to tell me what I should be doing.:jester:

Must get on enjoy your day :superman:A. Busybee  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The sun currently shines on NEHerts and there is frost around. It was a chilly walk back from cribbage last night but a warm glow of more wins than losses helped defeat the cold that indicated the summer weight jacket needs to be put away. SWMBO returns today but I know not when, nor whether she will have had her main meal with her sister prior to departure. I therefore have something of an unstructured day with a variety of things that could fill it. I shall hopefully move into a more decisive mode once muggertea has been drained.

Best wishes to those celebrating, sympathies to those with troubles and ailments to be resolved. From one piece above, it would seem that the US elderly population is already equal to the supposed total population of the U.K. - I can almost hear the cross-pond creaks and groans as I write this. No doubt this is a consequence of less frequent global conflicts (of which I heartily approve) and advances in medical knowledge and skills but I have to wonder how the planet can support such a growing population with its finite resources when the rise in CO2 levels and the rise in average global temperatures exactly parallel the growth in population. We must be heading for some sort of reset.

on that cheery note, I will go back to lurking. Bonjour.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. After a grey and cloudy start the sun is beginning to filter through but its still cold outside. When I went to fetch the milk in I put it in the fridge to warm up. Not much else to report, be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

When we lived in Birmingham it was possible to get same day delivery in postcodes B1-B5 by posting in the office at Victoria Square at 0830. The box had a hole in the bottom which let the post drop straight through into a tub in the sorting office. It was sorted in time to go out on the 1130 delivery.

Many post offices that had built in post boxes have now had them sealed up, to reduce the chance of someone setting fire to the building.

Unfortunately the state minimum reducancey payments fall as you approach retirement, meaning, it's not a good bargain for me..

Edited by TheQ
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Many houses had upstairs small fireplaces mine had two. they should have two entirely separate flues up to independent chimney pots. My unused flues were capped at the top and sealed from the rooms.

I've been punctured, and now having a late tea break as I was sitting in a row during my normal time..

• Like 14
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember  that the 1930's built house we lived in when I was a nipper had 4 fireplaces, 2 up, 2 down but only 2 chimney pots, the upstairs fed i to the flue from downstairs.   It was also piped throughout for gaslights as well as electrickery, with the gas pipes capped off next to the ceiling  roses.

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

It’s another sunny blue sky day here in the northwest of England, where the current temperature is 4C. After Ava’s accident yesterday she has been advised to stay off school until she’s seen the dentist, so she will be spending the day with us and will arrive sometime in the next 30 minutes or so. I was hoping to go swimming this morning, but that has now been postponed until next week, so that I can assist Sheila looking after Ava, not that she’s any trouble. Today also marks our 41st year of wedded strife bliss, bl00dy hell, where did the time go? We’d not got much planned anyway, as we usually keep these things very low key affairs anyway. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

Happy Anniversary  Brian.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Dawlish may be heading for trouble with his/her groins again! 
SWMBO has a veteran’s card for past uniformed service but her preferred supermarket (as frequented by Hyacinth Bucket) offers no discount. I have two e-mail accounts with the regal high street and on-line wine shop. If one account isn’t used regularly, they send me discount vouchers so I tend to use one account in spring, a different one in summer etc.

We used to have a (rather expensive) garden centre named like a valley in the Forest of Dean. That closed and has re-opened under new ownership (or branding). I suspect that we will visit at some future date but they face stiff competition on price and quality round here.

It would seem that the northwest of England is on some sort of painting kick. If you are addicted, please feel free to offer your services in this direction. No restructuring or replacement of plaster / wood / doors etc., only minor settling cracks to fill but a host of spiders who believe they have squatters rights will be disturbed.

Weather here remains breezy but we are at the maximum predicted temperature so just off to fit the new outside lights. Meanwhile the automatic Dhobi-wallah is on a max temp cycle to give it a good clean and a loaf is gradually rising in the bread-maker. What an exciting life this OF leads!

• Like 18