The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suppose it boils down to time spent on the job.  In the time it has taken me to fit out one room, they would have done the whole top floor.

Suggest replace the word "done" with the more accurate "bodged" - if the crew across the way from me are anything to go by! As for productivity, they rock up and sign on around 08:00, they start around 09:00, they stop for breakfast around 10:00, then lunch around 12:30 before a mid-afternoon stop at 15:00 and then finish by 16:00 - and that is without the time spent on their bl@@dy mobile phones! No wonder we can't build enough homes at a reasonable cost.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Evening all,

paperwork checking is revealing some fascinating stuff which I'd probably forgotten I had.  A good example is the Southern Railway instruction booklets for staff working on electrified lines - one for 3rd rail and the other for high voltage overhead with both dating from the 1920s; I don't think they'll be culled in any downsizing of the ephemera collection, and the Lusitania medal definitely isn't going anywhere.

Enjoy thre rest of you evening one and all.

Funnily enough I acquired a little blue booklet from Ebay a couple of years ago.  It's issued  by the LMS and is the instructions for working on and around the Lancaster Morecambe and Heysham electrification also high voltage AC.  Very interesting and will also not be disposed of.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Posted a parcel from the Dark Peak to Liqourice Land with a well-known courier yesterday. Google Maps gives a route of 45 miles. Checked the tracking and since it left it has so far visited Crewe, Rugby and Bradford. By the time it is delivered it will have covered at least 289 miles. No wonder our roads are clogged.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Northroader said:

It’s using a motor, end plates stamped CLW, then universal shaft to belt drive to one end, then back underneath to the other end. DCC, what’s that?? (Sorry to intrude on the social chat)

B8E8D5D6-FD19-4218-A3C5-166EA07CE554.jpeg.3da5011af5afd0977f7b7cad617dfd8e.jpeg

Looks like a Weaver tank drive. Note that if that is the newer CLW motor, it should have a skewed armature; that allows for smoother low-speed operation because of less cogging of the armature.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Not necessarily. “CSL2” (Customer Service Level 2) has to be instigated first which I believe has several effects; it requires all staff - so far as is practically possible - to be informed of ticket acceptance and it may have an effect on ORCATS - the revenue apportionment system used by the franchised TOCs. 

It ought not to involve ORCATS - in fact I don't really see how it could as that level of monitoring isn't available to feed into the system in any case because it uses the basic timetable as its train source for apportionment (it used to use TSDB back in BR days but it could well be using something else now) and it also used the time of day at which tickets were sold as part of the calculation.  Incidentally ORCATS is not just used by the franchised TOCS hence the concerns about  what is known as 'ORCATS raiding' where an open access operator runs a train just in front of a franchised operator's service serving some similar destinations and hence taking a share of the revenue coming in at that time of day for that route.

The normal arrangement for allowing passengers to use an alternative route in times of perturbation is a simple one between operating companies where they basically lift their normal travel/route restrictions to help out each other and in the past no money changed hands (that too might have changed of course).  The only time there was any extra payment in the past was for road vehicle hire and that's down to the operator with the problem (i.e. no different from the situation in BR days)  although normally in privatised times the compensation from NR (when it is their responsibility) would more than cover any extra costs incurred.

The only real difference now would be in delay repay to passengers where it is now more proactive than it used to be but that again is down to the affected operator and on past evidence it would in any case usually be less than the compensation paid to the operator by NR as a consequence of cancelled and delayed trains.     'Delay minutes' tend to be rather pricey things - our rate back in 1995 was £1 per minute of late or early running when it resulted in disruption to another operator and the same from Railtrack to us for each minute our trains were delayed by anything in NR's responsibility (and things in Railtrack's responsibility included acts of trespass, vandalism, and suicides apart from the more obvious things such as signal failures or frozen points).  

You can reckon now that 'delay minutes' are a lot more expensive hence the fact that they are capped for steam hauled special trains (which would long ago have been priced off the network if they had to pay the full consequential costs of some of the delays they have caused.  For example the cap in 5 years of Control Period 4  was £5,000 per incident for trains hauled by heritage traction/using heritage rolling stock; NR estimated that in that Control Period it incurred an additional cost of £600,000 (in its own costs and compensation to other operators) in consequence of the money it could recover from an incident involving heritage traction etc  being limited by the cap.

• Informative/Useful 15

An enormous bull moose just ambled past the house. Of course by the time I got my camera it has disappeared into the trees. Despite their size they are difficult to spot in the forest. You usually hear them before you see them.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Posted a parcel from the Dark Peak to Liqourice Land with a well-known courier yesterday. Google Maps gives a route of 45 miles. Checked the tracking and since it left it has so far visited Crewe, Rugby and Bradford. By the time it is delivered it will have covered at least 289 miles. No wonder our roads are clogged.

Toronto has two major postal sorting stations -- one in the west suburbs and one in the east.  I'm sure that sending a letter across Yonge Street  (the major NS road) requires going to one station then to the other.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Looks like a Weaver tank drive. Note that if that is the newer CLW motor, it should have a skewed armature; that allows for smoother low-speed operation because of less cogging of the armature.

A honking-great high-torque motor and not much gear reduction is hard to beat.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

"The library on old age has grown so voluminous that the fifty million Americans over the age of sixty-five could spend the rest of their lives reading such books, even as lusty retirees and power-lifting septuagenarians turn out new ones."

If you can get on to New Yorker magazine you might find the article interesting. The quote above is from:

"Why We Can’t Tell the Truth About Aging"

A long life is a gift. But will we really be grateful for it?

By Arthur Krystal

October 28, 2019

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Still "negotiating" for an entire reindeer/sleigh exhibit on the roof, but that's mostly a pipe dream

The Clement Clarke Moore standard of eight, or the Robert L. May amendment to nine, including the one with the shiny red nose?

Or perhaps just Grandsanta's solo reindeer from "Arthur Christmas"? Better than Rolf the unmentionable's six white kangaroos, though that would make an ironic statement in wintry Minnesota.

Your vision necessarily reminds me of the flaming sleigh at the end of "Christmas Vacation".

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Belated happy birthday to Jamie, and happy anniversary to Ian and Sherry. 

Baz - agreed that we do seem to be missing a few ERs, and I reiterate the wish that all is well. 

Chris - follow your feelings and do whatever feels right, and hang the expense - if you can afford Dublin, then go for it - it would probably be a great experience.

Everybody else - generic greetings to all ailing and celebrating.

Bathroom ceiling got painted - I started on refreshing the grout, but the grout pen ran out - not a problem, I thinks, there's another one that I used in the kitchen drawer.  Yes, it was there, but it had dried up!!  It was only a couple of years old.

Writing group today, followed by a visit to the hardware shop to get another grout pen, then bank for (hopefully) a printout, then pick up 30747 from work.

Back tomorrow (/)

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A mainly blue sky has appeared and it should be a fine day with some sunshine.

The main weekly visit to Sainsbury's has been brought forward to today and will be followed by a visit to a local garden centre which has just been taken over by another firm. This afternoon I am going for an eye test.

It is unlikely that The Shed will be visited which means I should have an injury free day.

That is all.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19