The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I've always felt that the sheer expense of it is the best reason to not smoke... ;)

Morning all. Looks lovely and sunny here! Last day of work this week - going to a wedding tomorrow.

I think rural Dorset is one of our most beautiful Counties.

SWMBO went to the Bank yesterday, early.

"Closed until 10am for Staff Training".

She went back at 10am, joined the queue to be approached by the Area Manager.

'May I ask how we can help you today?'

'I'm just paying in'.

'I'm going to issue you with a ticket stating your time of arrival to present at the counter'.

She duly presented the ticket and the cashier entered it in a ledger and noted the time she was served.

This process was intended to reduce the time customers spent waiting.

As will instantly be realised, it actually increased the waiting time while the staff sorted out the little tickets.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one again. I should be busy torturing timber for baseboards but am still faffing with computers. New laptop arrived yesterday so it shouldn't take me more than a week to install all the cr*p which is essential for my activities! Currently making recovery discs for repairing the thing when it goes wrong (I didn't say "if" I said "when"). It's chewed through 7 blank CDs so far. Would have been really useful if it had told me how many I would need before I started the process!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Guest Max Stafford

Dave, wouldn't you be better just backing up the whole shebang onto an external drive?

Dave.

I've always felt that the sheer expense of it is the best reason to not smoke... ;)

Absolutely!

Last time when I went to pick up my car from the mechanic I know, we were chatting and he offered me a cigarette, which I declined.

"Do you ever smoke?" he asked me.

"No"

"Have you ever smoked?"

"No"

"Huh! Think of all the money you've saved" he added, looking melancholic.

• RMweb Gold

. It's chewed through 7 blank CDs so far. Would have been really useful if it had told me how many I would need before I started the process!

Most of the ones I've made the recovery discs for have suggested using DVD discs (2 or 3 usually). I think the number of CDs required would have been quite a lot!

• RMweb Premium

Dave, wouldn't you be better just backing up the whole shebang onto an external drive?

Dave.

I have taken an image backup to an external drive so this is really belt and braces creating a bootable recovery disc along with the necessary data discs. Should have used a DVD, or two, or three...

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I have taken an image backup to an external drive so this is really belt and braces creating a bootable recovery disc along with the necessary data discs. Should have used a DVD, or two, or three...

Cheers

Dave

or even one recordable Blu-Ray.

I have actually managed to impress my wife (who thinks I am very untidy) when I have needed to find a re-installation disc or driver disc for her computer. I put all the discs for any new computer in a plastic (Really Useful brand) box and put it on a shelf only I can reach.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Would it have let you back up onto a memory stick instead? (bit late, I know)

Probably if I had a spare 16Gb stick. I've opted for the lowest level option here 'cos I know I can get a machine to boot from a CD unless it is completely nadgered. I could have created a bootable CD and the data on something else but... Bit dumb that the tool for creating the images doesn't actually provide any guidelines or tell you how many of each type of media you will need. Bloomin' programmers, they need sorting.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Probably if I had a spare 16Gb stick. I've opted for the lowest level option here 'cos I know I can get a machine to boot from a CD unless it is completely nadgered. I could have created a bootable CD and the data on something else but... Bit dumb that the tool for creating the images doesn't actually provide any guidelines or tell you how many of each type of media you will need. Bloomin' programmers, they need sorting.

Cheers

Dave

Probably depends on the OEM. Acer machines seem to even come with the blank discs (DVDs). I think the Sony (no blank discs supplied) mentioned the number of discs required. Can't remember what the Samsung NC10 asked for. I wish they would put the price up and supply a proper Windows disc though.

Tony

Built my machine from parts, and bought windows 7 separately - so I have the install discs whatever happens. I probably should use a more robust backup method than I do, though...

Today wasn't too bad at work. Forgot to take my lunch with me though, doh! No work tomorrow; going to my cousin's wedding which should be good fun. And my aunt is giving me a lift all the way home, so I don't have to worry about staying over anywhere else either! :)

Though it doesn't mean I get a lie in...

On before Germany or South Africa this morning!

Morning all. Setting off shortly for Glasgow then the North East. Collecting Jamie in Glasgow then heading on down to Mum and Dad's for tonight and most of tomorrow. This has meant setting the video in advance for Sunday's F1... For once I'm organised. Unfortunately there's little chance of me seeing the Grand National on Saturday afternoon, as I suspect I'll be driving back up to Glasgow by then. I normally have one flutter per year on the horses, at the Grand National, but as I'm not going to be in the same place all weekend I'll give it a miss this year. I do have two horses from the work sweepstake though. No doubt they'll fall at Bechers...

Morning All,

Germany checking in!

It looks like it is going to be another nice day here - the sun isn't up yet, but it is getting light now.

It must be time to switch my heating over to Summer mode. My shower this morning was decidedly chilly :blink:. I feel very awake!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Sure is nice to see the trees sprouting fresh leaves :) . Several bits of work to do today before we'll be attending a vernissage tonight.

Have a good one, guys...

Morning all...:)

Bit of a sleepless night, but wishing I had looked out the window earlier. The main oxygen pump into the pond had failed and we lost four large Orfe. They are really susceptible to low oxygen levels and it's not uncommon to lose them in a thunderstorm when air pressure is low. At the moment the lawn looks like a mortuary with the bodies laid out, so looks like we may be having a wake later today.

Sad, but with everything else going on, a situation that can be resolved...

On the bright side, it looks like it's going to be a beautiful sunny day....:)

South Africa logging on late!

A nice clear day, cloud on the monutain, though no wind at the moment.

Mick, my heart bleeds for you. I gave up without any pain in September, but

still remember the pain of losing a carton!

It's Friday!