The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I went into Tesco's today the Royal British Legion had there table there for remembrance day. As well as the usual poppies and lapel badges they had a box of crocheted poppies. The RBL ladies had spent the last few months crocheting these poppies. Each and every one was different varying slightly in size, shape and colour. 

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

On our smart meter display unit there is a button that allows the display to show electricity or gas or both. We usually have it showing both. 
Tony

Mine is the same only it only ever shows the electricity. The meter certainly wasn't working when it was installed 6 months ago but now working. The next quarters bill is due very soon so I will have to check that. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

Way to make me feel old! Your dad was on the buses 55 years ago -was on the buses 53 years ago!

That was the use of the Setright I was referring to. They were supposed to be worn to the front at waist level. We wore them on a long strap over the right shoulder, bouncing off the left thigh. If necessary, you could grasp the strap at about waist level and swing the machine. I can't find a picture of a Setright being worn this way, but here's one showing a conductress with her cash bag on her right knee - the machine would be at the same level on her left. https://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_arab_uf/5419846404

One night, one of our conductresses was subject to "inappropriate touching". After a warning, which he ignored, she hit the guy once with the machine to stop him, then gave him a couple more on his way to the floor. They diverted past the Royal Infirmary, dropped the guy off and kept on going. Tough ladies, those conductresses!

This year on the 18th of November will have been my dads 100th birthday. The clippie involved in the incident was not prosecuted as it was in self defence. As you said, tough ladies.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Pleased to see that no PMs have been received, which I take to mean that nothing signficant has happened in my absence - so I will just offer my usual generic greetings to the ailing and the celebrating.

Had to de-ice the car yesterday and again this morning.  And 30747 has this morning announced that she is working tomorrow, which probably means that I will be repeating the exercise again at 6.45.  Today is jobs domestic, checking the credit card for untoward transactions, freshening the grout in the bathroom, then painting the bathroom ceiling - also need to write something for tomorrows writing group, and Fridays creative writing class.

Back tomorrow (?)

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1