The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Central Locomotive Works?

Yes, quite an old kit, the nose and cab are a single bronze casting, much more fun than 3D printing, though I fancy the cab roof and windows aren’t quite the right profile, like it’s had a fright from an EMD.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Afternoon all from a Hill of Strawberries where two squirrels are currently beating the living daylights out of each other over nut-gathering rights. Tree rats they most certainly are and very noisy ones at that when angered. 

Chaotic morning at the House of Fun with embuggerances, various, preventing progress through Wokingham, Axminster, Leatherhead and Redhill. Try running a network with those all blocked. And try explaining to everyone who had been sent by the (GatEx) staff at Gatwick Airport to Clapham Junction in order to change for Reading and points west that not only was their intended route blocked but so was their diversion; both would route them via Wokingham. 

My other half just made it out of Redhill before the online departure board went full of red - ie delayed or mostly cancelled bar one Reigate to Victoria service.  Luckily things seem to be getting back to normal - ie just a few canellations.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Evening all,

More wall painting done today, so with luck it will be finished tomorrow.  After that, I took my car in to have its battery replaced, as it has had starting problems for the last week.  That turned out to be more expensive than I had expected as the car has a Stop-Start system, which apparently requires a type of battery which is about twice the price of a normal one.  Put in simple terms, the additional cost of the battery more than wiped out the cost savings in fuel from using the Stop-Start system.

Todays local news has been full of the story of some muppet who got stuck overnight on a 290 foot chimney in the middle of Carlisle.  Latest I heard was that a large crane was being brought from Scotland to rescue the person, while three roads under the chimney have been closed all day.  At one point, local radio was asking anyone if they had a 90 metre cherry picker that could be used in the rescue.  An earlier attempt with a helicopter failed.  Goodness knows how much this has all cost, just to rescue the guy who presumably was only on the chimney for an illegal climb, and a bit of thrill seeking.  Having been stuck up there all day, I would imagine the idiot has hypothermia by now.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Todays local news has been full of the story of some muppet who got stuck overnight on a 290 foot chimney in the middle of Carlisle.  Latest I heard was that a large crane was being brought from Scotland to rescue the person, while three roads under the chimney have been closed all day.  At one point, local radio was asking anyone if they had a 90 metre cherry picker that could be used in the rescue.  An earlier attempt with a helicopter failed.  Goodness knows how much this has all cost, just to rescue the guy who presumably was only on the chimney for an illegal climb, and a bit of thrill seeking.  Having been stuck up there all day, I would imagine the idiot has hypothermia by now.

At least he won't be emulating Stefano Longhi. (Who hung from the north face of the Eiger for nearly two years before his remains were recovered.)

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sadly the person trapped in the chimney has died before he could be rescued. He's now a candidate for a Darwin award. I got in touch with my energy supplier re. my not-so-smart gas meter. Apparently it is working after all except that its not telling me how much gas I'm using. Time to get the dinner on, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sadly the person trapped in the chimney has died before he could be rescued. He's now a candidate for a Dawin award. I got in touch with my energy supplier re. my not-so-smart gas meter. Apparently it is working after all except that its not telling me how much gas I'm using. Time to get the dinner on, be back later.

On our smart meter display unit there is a button that allows the display to show electricity or gas or both. We usually have it showing both. 
Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Flu jab has kicked in. Pah!

I am acting as a Ferry Unit today as hr indoors needs to have one of her car wheels refurbished.

I also need to put all of my railway stuff away and build a modified control panel for the new fiddle yard.

Great to hear and see that John and Kerry had a good day with Debs yesterday.

Positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing.

Mugatea calls!

Baz

Never heard of wheel refurbishing!  What doe that entail?

Brian.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Alloy wheel having some dinks taken out?

I watched one being done for a neighbour. Machining wheel and respray. I have an insurance policy to cover wheel damage. Mine are refurbishable  but some alloy wheels can’t be repaired,  Diamond cut alloys, whatever they are, can’t according to my policy terms. 
Tony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Alloy wheel having some dinks taken out?

Yep

herself swears bling she hasn't hit anything so must have been a previous owner...

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Northroader said:

Yes, quite an old kit, the nose and cab are a single bronze casting, much more fun than 3D printing, though I fancy the cab roof and windows aren’t quite the right profile, like it’s had a fright from an EMD.

I forgot to ask; what drive is in it?

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1