The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

The Ring camera and light for the alleyway paid for itself last night. Just after 12 some scumbag triggered the light and video recording. He was having a rather too close look at the neighbour's car. A quick blast of the alarm and he did Usain Bolt proud. Recording forwarded to the local plod but doubt they will be able to ID him. 

Sadly very few incidents result in prosecution, even with clear evidence. I assume that neither the police or theCPS feel that low level crime is worth pursuing, particularly as no crime was seemingly committed. We are a society teetering on the brink of collapse into lawlessness, given the efforts that are made to excuse illegal behaviour by the do-gooder fraternity and the culture in parts of the legal profession to see if they can get compensation (and an inflated fee) at every roll of life’s dice.

• Like 5
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

We are a society teetering on the brink of collapse into lawlessness, given the efforts that are made to excuse illegal behaviour by the do-gooder fraternity and the culture in parts of the legal profession to see if they can get compensation (and an inflated fee) at every roll of life’s dice.

... or quite possibly, the limited resources available to the police and courts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

I am sure that retirement actually slows you down as - five years on - my days are generally too full of dealing with “things” to do what I had planned. Just ensure you build up as much of a pot as you can before your Benefit Crystalising Event as actuaries like to call it.

If I left tomorrow I'd lose £1600 per year of the current companies pension. (into which I'm paying AVCs) 10 Years of pension

But more importantly I'd lose a lot more from my main Pension from BAE / GEC/Marconi/ Ferranti 25 years of Pension.

I am already receiving my 12 years worth of RAF pension..

47 Years? yep 6 years in Saudi paying in triple money..

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... or quite possibly, the limited resources available to the police and courts.

Yes, that obviously has a bearing and with the level of violence we now have, it must be very difficult to attract new police officers. As for judges, their sentencing varies seemingly as to whether they like the defendant. How much of that is due to prison overcrowding I do not know but the MoJ figures suggest that one third of the U.K. prison population was not born here so why are these criminals not ejected?
My wife recently was a juror on a murder case which lasted almost six weeks but could have been dealt with in half that time if defendants had been available / lawyers had their papers / printers in the courthouse worked / cases started each day earlier and lasted later than the 10:30 to 3:00 average which also had an hour for lunch. When sentencing, the judge was clearly outwitted by the younger defendant who viewed his sentence of 18 months with 6 of those suspended as a great outcome from the gestures he made as he was taken down. And that after a man’s life was taken in an event in which he had played a very active part, as he did in the deceptions to attempt the subsequent cover-up. He could have been sentenced to seven years as the tariff for that offence but will be free to cock a snoop at the law in six months. Is it any wonder people feel the law is an ass!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

If I left tomorrow I'd lose £1600 per year of the current companies pension. (into which I'm paying AVCs) 10 Years of pension

But more importantly I'd lose a lot more from my main Pension from BAE / GEC/Marconi/ Ferranti 25 years of Pension.

I am already receiving my 12 years worth of RAF pension..

47 Years? yep 6 years in Saudi paying in triple money..

Sounds like you have done a good job considering how to plan. One thing I did when I retired was to see what each of the companies who held some of my pot would offer in respect of annuities if I moved all the small amounts to one location. That did rather well for me but I first had to request a value of each little pot at a near-term future date.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning, the frost had gone by the time I drew the curtains back.

8 hours ago, pH said:

A Setright on a long strap works quite well, too.

That reminds me of when my dad was on the buses about 55 years ago. One of the clippies always carried the Setright by the strap instead of over her shoulder. One Saturday night a drunk tried to attack her. To protect herself she swung the Setright and he caught it with his face.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Work continues on the GOG small Layout competition entry.

I suppose I ought to sort out some pictures, but these modern digital camera phones do not seem to do 'low res' pictures any more.

A couple of snaps I could have posted were all above the RMWeb limit.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be a simple facility to do this on the computer any more: I'm sure there used to be a facility to create lower resolution pictures at the click of a button.

I'll have to dig out my old digital camera, which has a selectable picture file size and try again.

Muddy Hollow (Forward) is now down to paddling depth which is fantastic for a bit of churning.

No white roof syndrome in this part of Telfland, so a return to the garage to do some more cutting, gluing and cramping is required, but only after i have visited the doctor's surgery to chase up my new prescription.

Normally I would just check on line, but as I am down to five days supply of the old stuff, I don't want to order another 30 days supply, and then waste most of it when the new one arrives.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

sentence of 18 months with 6 of those suspended as a great outcome

Perhaps it would be viewed differently if the 6 months suspended was by his sac from a rusty nail in the wall

Edited by Happy Hippo
Uber clean software does not like scro*um despite it being the correct term
  • Like 13
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suppose I ought to sort out some pictures, but these modern digital camera phones do not seem to do 'low res' pictures any more.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be a simple facility to do this on the computer any more: I'm sure there used to be a facility to create lower resolution pictures at the click of a button.

I'll have to dig out my old digital camera, which has a selectable picture file size and try again.

There are plenty of free picture re-sizers https://download.cnet.com/s/free-picture-resizer/

As for collecting all my money in one place that will not be happening I wouldn't trust my money to one place in case someone makes it a source of their money.. Especially with my RAF pension, you won't get a better pension than that..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Muddy Hollow (Forward) is now down to paddling depth which is fantastic for a bit of churning.

No white roof syndrome in this part of Telfland, so a return to the garage to do some more cutting, gluing and cramping is required, but only after i have visited the doctor's surgery to chase up my new prescription.

Normally I would just check on line, but as I am down to five days supply of the old stuff, I don't want to order another 30 days supply, and then waste most of it when the new one arrives.

Email the picture to yourself from the phone. You can resize it before you send it..simples!

Baz

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

WARNING - SCAM ATTEMPT

I have just lost most of this morning dealing with an attempted scam and the reporting thereof:

A call from a withheld number came in on our land line. The caller said that he was a Sgt Greene based at Charing Cross Police Station. He stated they had in custody someone who claimed to be my nephew. The said nephew supposedly claimed to be my carer and he had a significant amount of money on him, which he claimed had been given to him by me. 
The next question was to ask if I had been to a cash point recently (which I had a few days back). He then told me to look on the back of my bank card and I would find a contact number there which I should call immediately. I was somewhat reluctant to do this and so he gave me his badge number and a crime reference number to report to the bank. Of course when he said not to hang up but to dial the number on the back of the card, I became sure that this had to be a scam.

To pose as a police officer is a criminal offence but I tried telephoning 101 to speak to my local police, only to find that the caller had kept my line open for his fraudulent purposes. I then tried calling my telephone service provider via my mobile phone and got them to run a check and clear down my land line. Once again, I tried calling 101 but after 15 minutes with no reply, I followed a link to Action Fraud - a government service possibly operating out of somewhere in Scotland. A further 30 minutes in a queue and a lady answered, took a log of all events, decided it should be reported and then gave me a proper crime reference number that I can follow later. She also advised that I should keep an eye on my credit rating using a firm called Credit Karma for the next six months to ensure nothing untowards or unknown is entered!

This was clearly a more sophisticated attempt to get me to divulge my details. Please be aware!

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

All this talk of baked beans is making me think of some trans-Atlantic travesty for breakfast - like baked beans on a bagel - with eggs.

Fried Eggs

On Baked Beans

On Cheese (grilled)

On Branston Pickle

On Toast.

Topped with Salad Cream, or Mayo if you're posh.

- plus a bit of black pepper

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

A milestone.... less than 1500 days

1499 Days.

or according to an app I've just downloaded

936 working days..

Till I retire... I'm not counting am !?

85.5 working days to go, though I can knock 10 off of that with flexidays.

But that was as of start of play this morning, so it's actually 84.5 (74.5) days plus 2 hours 53 minutes

• Like 18