The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue, so I’m off to the workshop, I may be some time!

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Having nothing better to do and I'm a people watcher sitting watching rugby for the past few weeks I'm amazed how many player don't do much when on the field but are the first to bitch 

when the game doesn't go their way, I won't point fingers but the results will tell you who they are, that's why I take money off bookies like I used to do when betting on the horses, I backed the Jockey 

& Trainer combinations like my father never out of pocket apart from the odd occasion.

enjoy your day :superman:Sindy Katte :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13

The time change hasn't affected me at all. It hasn't happened here yet ;)

I must arise. It's hard to sleep when sunlight is beaming into the bedroom. Rather frosty last night - the roof on the house across the street has turned white.

• Like 16

11 hours ago, Barry O said:

All ours in the UK have had the sugar levels reduced.. they are still far better than the rock hard tasteless ones served up in the USA.  A lot of food in the UK has seen reduced sugare (and salt) levels over the last few years. Seen as a "must do" by successive governments.  

Not sure it has had a major impact on childhood obesity...yet!

Baz

It always struck me as odd that Beanz doesn't mean Heinz in the US. I don't think they sell a US version here. It's pretty obscure if they do. You sometimes see the imported UK beans in the stores and you can buy them online.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

And time for a sailing report,  since you lot were mostly indoors watch red green and mud. 

I Was was sat sunning my self,  watching people go in ever decreasing circles. 

08:00 left home for the SC, 

08:30 put flags up, 

08:35, started getting the rescue boats out, 

09:00,  went up to the broad and deposited the buoys in there rough places. 

09:30 two bacon butties and a Muggacoffee please. 

10:15, tow boats up to the broad,  followed by adjusting the final position of the buoys .

10:45 first race,  wind fairly strong but no capsizes,  not a cloud in the sky.

The first leg of the first yeoman race,  the wind shifted, the back half of the fleet got a huge advantage,  and caught up with the front half at the buoy.  Absolute chaos,  one boat had to do a 360 degree turn as there was no spare water to sail on.  Misjudged his second approach, hit the buoy,  had to do another 360 as a penalty.  

During the Second race he got a huge gust broached at the same buoy  clipped it with the stern and again had to do a 360.

Also during the Second race a topper capsized at the buoy,.. So I rescued.... 

A bread roll,  wrapped in tin foil,  she had lost her lunch during the capsize.                                                 

14:00 last race,  nothing much to report except on the 3rd leg the yeomans played follow the leader,  the lead boat kept very high to prevent boats blocking her wind,  and everyone else did the same.  Not one of the back markers thought to sail directly to the buoy and shorten  the distance.                                           

15:00 follow the last boat round the course collecting the buoys.                                                                               

16::00 the buoys are away,  I'm off home. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Sound of fireworks this evening but not the yobbo's setting them off but the local Indian community celebrating Diwali. Its a bit chilly this evening, time to crankup the heating methinks. Thats all for now, be back later.

• Like 17

I called Hilda correctly, and Alf nicking the cash for the wake is a given, so what else is on the horizon in Borsetshire? 

I've been working on the lighting for the nativity stable.  You may remember that I replaced my phone this month and the old transformer is providing the power for the stable.

Bill

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all, went out early-ish this morning for lunch with daughter and family, grandsons had an early present from santa as they broke their trampoline, stops them fighting for a bit whilst they are bouncing, so it's worth it's weight in gold for the peace and quiet lol. Glorious sunny day is now followed by freezing cold, so sat by the fire, I might watch the recorded semi final of the rugby, saw the result, but need to look over the opposition for next weeks final, pity I didn't put some money on with the bookies, I could have joined 81c on relieving them of some of their ill gotten gains.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

It always struck me as odd that Beanz doesn't mean Heinz in the US. I don't think they sell a US version here. It's pretty obscure if they do. You sometimes see the imported UK beans in the stores and you can buy them online.

For sure!  Despite rows and rows of the domestic variety, cans of Heinz beans are usually found separately in the imported aisle along with some usual British food products.  Thanks to Amazon's free delivery on some products, that's where we order the locally hard to find items.  The postage would make it impossible otherwise.

Brian.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

29 minutes ago, brianusa said:

For sure!  Despite rows and rows of the domestic variety, cans of Heinz beans are usually found separately in the imported aisle along with some usual British food products.  Thanks to Amazon's free delivery on some products, that's where we order the locally hard to find items.  The postage would make it impossible otherwise.

Brian.

We could always set up a trans-border import business. Plenty of Heinz varieties on sale here. 

I'm very surprised by the lack of them in the US - Heinz is an American company, after all.

• Like 10
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, pH said:

We could always set up a trans-border import business. Plenty of Heinz varieties on sale here. 

I'm very surprised by the lack of them in the US - Heinz is an American company, after all.

And I'm pretty sure it was Heinz who introduced them to the UK. Maybe there's a bean cartel.

Are the Canadian ones produced locally or are they flown in from Wigan?

We have been known to nip up to Creston to buy some things that are hard to find here but we've not done that recently.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all (again) from Estuary-Land. Ironically most of the baked beans consumed in the UK are grown in the USA. I just realised, and had to confirm with the organiser that the trip to Warley will be on the Sunday as there was I assuming it was Saturday. Not a great problem except I might miss a few ER's.

• Like 18

I may be a heretic. I grew up on Heinz Beanz in Oz, but having lived in the US for three decades I am very partial to Bush's Homestyle (labeled a "Tangy sauce with bacon & brown sugar"), which does not lack for sugar, the third and fourth listed ingredients are brown sugar and sugar respectively, tomato paste and bacon come in next.

All this talk of baked beans is making me think of some trans-Atlantic travesty for breakfast - like baked beans on a bagel - with eggs.

My son and daughter in law have developed a strong preference for Australian tomato sauce over ketchup. I brought some home for them last week. I am partial to both.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2