The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Guess what, it’s still raining, I think if it carries on like this, my back garden will start to look like HH’s muddy hollow.  I’ll be setting off shortly to collect Ava and Evie who will once again be spending the day with us and it’s been requested (by Sheila) that we make Rockie  Road cakes again, but this time with gluten free biscuits so that Vickie can try some. This week I’ve bought extra ingredients so that a larger cake can be made too!

By the sound of the guy next door has just made, I think maybe England have just scored!

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Maybe now is a good time to cash in on its increasing value whilst it still works

Ford seem keen to offer Aditi money to scrap her Fiesta. However the £2000 allowance off the list price of a new car isn’t very attractive. Her 2012 car is worth more than that and is in good working order. I think she is secretly tempted by the “buy a custard yellow Mustang” emails but her sense of practicality overrules. Our previous Renault  Clio was only “valued “ at a few hundred pounds but it was worth a lot more to us as a working vehicle. It was only when things like the air con failing that Aditi decided to replace it. 

Tony

• Like 17

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

We should not really have three cars between the two of us considering I am not working but can't let it go at moment after having it so long and it runs well. Maybe now is a good time to cash in on its increasing value whilst it still works. We shall see.

One of my neighbours, a single, retired, guy, had two cars, one for leisure and one for pleasure!

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

It's getting very dark, very rapidly,  I suspect we are going to get as soggy as a hippo.. 

7 hours out of the house of which 3 were driving 60ish miles.  Every Cockwomble possible out on the roads I don't think I reached the speed limit anywhere,  and every ditherer, every  let-er in of cars on to the major road,  every driver at 20mph below the limit was out. 

Not surprisingly I didn't see anyone play with their egg shaped balls,   but I guessed what had happened when England shirt wearing men came out of various Cromer pubs out into the drizzle,  looking exceedingly happy. 

We visited Smith's  in Sheringham,  that's Smith's  WH,  and  Smith's MR,  https://www.smithsmodelrailways.co.uk/   Just 100 yards from each other.  I bought a few items from each,  Smiths MR ( the replacement for autoloco) is as yet a little bit bare, but has been nicely done up,  I wish him all success.

Next to Smith's WH is, The Works, so some Acrylic paint and brushes for muddling purposes was bought along with a couple of books. 

To keep the balance I also picked up a few items from Buoys toys in Cromer.

Also in Cromer  3 more  books were picked up,  from our favourite second hand bookshop. 

In both places much waiting around was done,  while SWMBO collected some items.  Then after that dual super market Grand Prix were done "every lidl helps". 

I've had an eyelid inspection, 

ah I hear we are getting much precipitation. 

Time to... find something to eat before the final of the GMRC.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Must remember to be c glued to the tv in less than an hour when the final of GMRC is to be broadcast.  it will be interesting to see how they've whittled down getting on for 16 hours of filming and sound takes into a programme around an hour long.  Mind you a decent chunk of those many hours of filming was retakes of the two presenters trying to get their words right and the need to get some extra shots of Cathy showing her 'oh dear that was carp' face because she'd forgotten to do it when saying that what had happened on a layout was not at all what was supposed to happen.  Should be interesting to see if I appear in any fleeting glimpses as at least one of the cameras was aimed at me at various times.  Oh and just for your amusement a considerable chunk of the audience applause was filmed before the result was announced - clever stuff tv filming and editing.

The day up to now has been spent chauffeuring herself around town trying to return one pair of mail order slippers (poor fit - successfully on their way to Hermes to take back to Cotton Trader) and for her to visit several shops in town in the hope of buying a pair of slippers for her hospital visit next Saturday.  Results - Shop 1 - 'we don't sell slippers'; Shop 2 'yes madam we have some lovely slippers hand made (from yak droppings?) in Nepal and yours for a mere £36; Shop 3 - 'yes madam, yours at a snip of a price, only £25 a pair'.  As she had little choice but to get some slippers she settled at £25 for those thus avoiding an expedition to Reading.  Then drive from the town centre to Tesco - a simple task apart from some dozy dithering female attempting to drive her flashy Mercedes with no idea of where was going and which lane she ought to be in so trying hard to shunt me sideways so that she could be in both (actually I doubt she even saw me).  Arrival at Tesco was behind a Brain Missing Wagen the driver of which also didn't have much idea of where she was going and of course it was the top of the range model that doesn't have indicators.   Added to which the shop was populated by a bunch of brain dead cockwombles the like of which isn't even achieved on the busiest day for OFs although oddly there weren't many Brain Missing Wagens in the car park.

Things improved greatly on arrival home with the preparation and drinking of not only a nice drop of Yorkshire tea which went rather nicely with my late brunch of grilled bacon and sautéed chestnut mushrooms - definitely felt better after that and Brain Missing Wagen driver duly consigned to the dustbin of history (until I come across the next one).

For those interested (Chris F) the standard European and therefore DB (and UK) annual timetable change date this year is on 15 December so you need to be before then if you're looking for a train which vanishes in the new service.  And better luck than the lad had when he tried it and some sort of failure meant 'bus substitution for the train.

REnjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

The Probe has many Mazda parts and on my 2 ltr its also a Mazda engine so I was told. Mazda had a  very good reputation for reliability at the time so that's probably why we still have it despite the peeling lacquer and numerous dents that occurred whilst we weren't in the car. It was supposedly the replacement for the Capri over here.

We should not really have three cars between the two of us considering I am not working but can't let it go at moment after having it so long and it runs well. Maybe now is a good time to cash in on its increasing value whilst it still works. We shall see.

We are down to one car now - the Fiat (assembled in Hiroshima with a lot of Mazda bits). If course there's also my truck and MrsID's Jeep - technically both Italian.

The Fiat will be staying in the garage for the Winter. Must remember to change the insurance coverage.

I used to have a '97 Ford Ranger truck that was a thinly disguised Mazda. It had the same 2 L engine as your probe. It was cascaded first to our daughter then to son. Don't know how many miles it eventually did but knowing the kids it must have been a lot. 

Edited by AndyID
Moinfo
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

It rained this morning but quite a lot of hardy souls came to the show. It then became very sunny but very cold. Now for a shower and off out for food and a beer or six.

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I have been tracking trains today. My neighbours are waiting at Euston for their grandson. He is 14 and seems sensible but they prefer to accompany him across London. I said I will collect them from Benfleet station this evening. Richard (their grandson) had booked himself on the only afternoon train from Rhyl that didn’t include planned bus replacements today but it did leave late but it did depart. For,some reason neighbours couldn’t get the train app to work in their phones so I checked for them. Should be 57 minutes late into Euston. 
I have just sorted out MiLs mobile phone account. For some reason she decided to phone relatives in India instead of using WhatsApp and topped out her monthly spend cap.  
The tiny nieces in Kettering have been very multicultural as their Diwali festival of lights seems to consist of their Halloween pumpkins. 
I think MiL is finding this weekend a bit stressful, probably because she isn’t organising anything apart from attempting to micro manage her daughters . Lovely “overheard on phone” this morning when MiL phoned Aditi “Mum, I am not using buffalo milk !” 
Nephew Josh sent some video and photos from Delhi, everyone looked cheerful and relaxed there!

Tony

• Like 18
  • Funny 1