The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

Good nights sleep but woke with neck and headache. 

Pink pills taken,  

Snooze button hit, 

See you later... 

• Friendly/supportive 18

Good morning one and all

Thanks to Polybear for evoking memories of Green Shield Stamps.  My late father worked for Green Shield for close on 20 years during the 60s and 70s.  Among the thing he did was administer the company's Grass Roots tennis sponsorship scheme.  This meant among other things that he had to attend Wimbledon.  What were first called redemption shops and later gift houses, where one would take ones full books of stamps and come away with some sort of merchandise, handily formed the basis of the Argos network when stamps went out of fashion.  I also worked for Green Shield, during summer vacations from university in 1967 and 1968.  Their offices were in a tower block in Station Road, Edgware, which occupies the site of the ex-Great Northern station.  The last I heard the building was home to some departments of Barnet Council.  Under the building is a car park.  On Monday 14th August 1967, known to many as "Black Monday", I sneaked out of the office into the car park clutching a transistor radio to my ear and listened with dismay to the last few minutes of Big L.  I can hear it now - the crashing piano chord at the end of "A Day In The Life" by the Beatles, the few words spoken by Paul Kaye ["Big L time is three o'clock and Radio London is now closing down"], the jolly Hammond organ piece known as "Big Lil" and then - silence.  Some would have retuned to Caroline but I returned to my desk, not really able to concentrate.

There will be those who are puzzled by references to Hilda.  She is, of course, Peggy Woolley's cat in The Archers and a spiteful beast she is too.  Maybe motherhood will be good for her.   Let us continue to take an interest in the happenings of Ambridge and leave others to fret about Albert Square.

Over the weekend I plan to learn how to make the best of my new slow cooker.  It will have to be beef hotpot but once I've done the hard bit - starting - we'll se what happens.  Something cooked on a slow cooker was served last night at the LGBT and Faith group and very nice it was too.  Over the weekend, much to 81C's delight, the search for the missing frets will resume.

Best wishes to all

Chris  

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all

Thanks to Polybear for evoking memories of Green Shield Stamps.  My late father worked for Green Shield for close on 20 years during the 60s and 70s.  Among the thing he did was administer the company's Grass Roots tennis sponsorship scheme.  This meant among other things that he had to attend Wimbledon.  What were first called redemption shops and later gift houses, where one would take ones full books of stamps and come away with some sort of merchandise, handily formed the basis of the Argos network when stamps went out of fashion.  I also worked for Green Shield, during summer vacations from university in 1967 and 1968.  Their offices were in a tower block in Station Road, Edgware, which occupies the site of the ex-Great Northern station.  The last I heard the building was home to some departments of Barnet Council.  Under the building is a car park.  On Monday 14th August 1967, known to many as "Black Monday", I sneaked out of the office into the car park clutching a transistor radio to my ear and listened with dismay to the last few minutes of Big L.  I can hear it now - the crashing piano chord at the end of "A Day In The Life" by the Beatles, the few words spoken by Paul Kaye ["Big L time is three o'clock and Radio London is now closing down"], the jolly Hammond organ piece known as "Big Lil" and then - silence.  Some would have retuned to Caroline but I returned to my desk, not really able to concentrate.

There will be those who are puzzled by references to Hilda.  She is, of course, Peggy Woolley's cat in The Archers and a spiteful beast she is too.  Maybe motherhood will be good for her.   Let us continue to take an interest in the happenings of Ambridge and leave others to fret about Albert Square.

Over the weekend I plan to learn how to make the best of my new slow cooker.  It will have to be beef hotpot but once I've done the hard bit - starting - we'll se what happens.  Something cooked on a slow cooker was served last night at the LGBT and Faith group and very nice it was too.  Over the weekend, much to 81C's delight, the search for the missing frets will resume.

Best wishes to all

Chris  

Food cooked in the slow cooker is something we do a lot of in the winter..

Lasagne, whole chickens, gammon joints, liver n onions,  stew and dumplings..... feeling peckish already 

Baz

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Food cooked in the slow cooker is something we do a lot of in the winter..

A hybrid slow cooker / pressure cooker (with an option to sear food before downshifting to slow cooking)* was all the rage a year or so ago. I was presented with one at Christmas, but have still to use it.

* Branded as Instant Pot

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, again,

Pink pills did their stuff. 

Ben has just been on patrol,  he charged around like mad, happy in the early daylight. 

We've had a slow cooker for over 20years which gets used occasionally .

I've just looked up the history of green shield stamps 1958-1991, the strange thing is it says the shops were re-branded Argos in 1973, but I remember the green shield shop in Norwich and I didn't first go to Norwich till 1977. Perhaps they weren't fully re-branded.. 

My landrovers a youngster a 35 years old,  another 5 years and it's free road tax and no MOT required. 

Time for breakfast,  then a Muggacoffee,  then head to the shed to get the chimney rods and brush.. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Damp and yuk here.

Poor old Chrisf he still can't find his frets what are they for Chris ? someone might come to your aid matey if you ask.

Today I will be getting my iPhone glass replaced I'm always cracking the damn things the is a Phone Wallah in fleet  

who will replace it I'll leave it with him while I have lunch with my Cyber Babe.

The slapped #rse is coming here today  to pay me some money as LLOYDS bank have paid it to someone else must remember not

to soil there door step just they are just as bad as Pratwest shame she hasn't the brain to put it in an envelope and post it through the door .  

Several of you who are poorly like I was last year, my problem was down to script drugs I stopped taking a different one each month till I 

found it was the co-codamol giving me the problems and the BP tablet which was changed back to the original one as the quack said the new

one is better????? 

Better get on enjoy your day :superman:N.O. Threatsear :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Its a dull start to the day, but not raining yet, apparently there is plenty forecast for later in the day. It’s Friday so that means my weekly trip to Asda, the Trafford Centre and the butchers. After that I may well fit the shelves above where the built in desk is going to be. Other than that, there’s not a lot else planned as we have James and Amelia dropping by for tea later. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am not permitted to do this, as the Obergrumpenfuhrer thinks I will become lecherous.

The two girls had left me another prezent this morning. It's now near the cooker. They obviously like me.  Anyway despite the drizzle the remaining 2 stears of wood are now inside and stacked.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite bright this am but cloud and rain predicted for later. I will be going to the toy fair at Brentwood tomorrow so I will have to draw some modelling tokens today. Not much else to report, be back later.

• Like 14

Other than checking on Hilda's welfare, I'm only turning on the radio for cheerful news, such as the weather.

In other news, I plugged in my new telephone this morning.  The broadband, of course, went on the blink.  But I pressed the button on the side and after a while amazingly, I got three blue bars.   Miracles still happen.  All I have to so is to register the telephone.  Oh, they seem to have given me a mobile phone with the set; do I have to register it somewhere?

Bill

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

17 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Other than checking on Hilda's welfare, I'm only turning on the radio for cheerful news, such as the weather.

In other news, I plugged in my new telephone this morning.  The broadband, of course, went on the blink.  But I pressed the button on the side and after a while amazingly, I got three blue bars.   Miracles still happen.  All I have to so is to register the telephone.  Oh, they seem to have given me a mobile phone with the set; do I have to register it somewhere?

Bill

Oh, yes.  It is raining for the next two days...

Good news is...

I am not going out in it.

What is even better...

the fire has been lit for the winter.

Enjoy your weather, all.  May it bring you much cheerfulness.

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

37 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I quite like a bit of Morris dancing, tried it once on the bonnet of my mates moggie 1000, I fell off...………………………………..

On one of my old club's layouts many years ago we had a Traveller surrounded by Morris dancers, with one stuck to the roof. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10