The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Only 1,000 posts to go to reach 200,000.

I'm sure that will spur many like me to write a load of carp in an attempt to "be the one" (apologies to ChrisF for mis-using one of his favourites).

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

Have I mentioned that I'm building a stable for the church's nativity scene.  Basically a 24" x 18" box built as per a layout, so the plywood screwed and glued to blocks.  Should outlast me.  It's also going to be lit, using by DC transformer, I've outsourced the star.  Off into the garage to paint the components before assembly.

Bill

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Have I mentioned that I'm building a stable for the church's nativity scene.  Basically a 24" x 18" box built as per a layout, so the plywood screwed and glued to blocks.  Should outlast me.  It's also going to be lit, using by DC transformer, I've outsourced the star.  Off into the garage to paint the components before assembly.

Bill

Not Lode Star by any chance?

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

Greetings all from LBG where it is hammering down. I got wet which will do my cold and cough no good. This in turn may impair my ability to enjoy the work organised wine tasting this evening (English wines vs French wines apparently) but I will give it a go nevertheless.

Year end trundles on, some people are making very little headway. One of my colleagues told me she was hoping to get her ducks in a roll.  I assume she had lunch on her mind.

I had wondered at the deterioration in Jamie's typing accuracy, and maybe Kingzance has hit the nail on the head. Me, I have no such excuses - any mistakes in my posts are down to poor typing skills!

• Like 9
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

BIN day... got them hauled out to the required position last night :good:

Totally uneventful yesterday, nothing to report.

Only items of interest today;

1) Choir rehearsal this evening, with the pre-requisite happy hour, beer and nosh ahead of time

2) Collect Jemma from the airport at the end of her first 4-day trip as a Delta pilot, due in just after choir rehearsal - convenient.

0 and sunny getting the newspaper in this morning (tad nippy!!), managing 7 for the high and -1 overnight.

Onward...

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I had to stop to post a letter on my way to the supermarket. It started to pour with rain.  I think the nearby secondary school had finished early for half term as about a thousand quite jolly teenagers were released from lessons. No one seemed to have a rain coat!

I forgot the essential item for the halwa (I did remember the carrots). Aditi doesn’t seem bothered, I can get evaporated milk tomorrow somewhere. 
Tony

• Like 17

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Mine definitely benefitted from a period of running in, and now runs superbly on it's own (sans match truck) over electrofrog points ( on TF), at extremely low speeds.

20191019_150705.jpg

Oooo Pictures if Trains, (very nice BTW Stu,) but you'll probably get a good spanking with a wet Lettice Lettuce from you know who.:this: 

Never wos any gooode at spelin.:laugh:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I had to stop to post a letter on my way to the supermarket. It started to pour with rain.  I think the nearby secondary school had finished early for half term as about a thousand quite jolly teenagers were released from lessons. No one seemed to have a rain coat!

I forgot the essential item for the halwa (I did remember the carrots). Aditi doesn’t seem bothered, I can get evaporated milk tomorrow somewhere. 
Tony

Give Aditi an empty tin and say it was full when you bought it...

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Not mentioned in that is the fact there is a good chance she was QE1s half sister,  her official dad suddenly got preferential treatment by Henry 8 when he got friendly with her mum..  Hush money it's thought... 

I got a book recently about lettuce knollys from the works,  it was quite a good read..  This one.. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/9781782439240/Elizabeths-Rival-Tumultuous-Tale-Lettice-1782439242/plp

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Trust that Ian's mum will be ok and has recovered from the shock - lots of nasty wet weather about today not helped by various idiot drivers who seem to presume that if they stand still for long enough the rain would stop (it has now).   On idiot I had the misfortune to follow decided to cross to the opposite side of the road to avoid a pothole/puddle, but quite why he did it on a blind bend escapes my understanding when he could easily have done what I did and simply straddled it without crossing the centre line of the road.

Anyway back to a real faux Friday today with a visit to the trainspotting branch of Waitrose (went well, a major shortage of dumbos wandering the aisles in a daydream).  And even better a visit to the not too far distant from there petrol station where I purchased 56 litres of diesel at a lower price (by 0.2p) than the price of unleaded petrol at most sites in the area.  With a saving of 10.2p/litre compared with our local rip-off purveyor (Europakgarages, who are about to go public on the Stock Exchange and make themselves even richer) I effectively pocketed £5.71 that I would have had to spend here and which therefore hasn't gone into their money grabbing trousers.

and on that happy note I trust the rest of the day will go well for everybody.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Give Aditi an empty tin and say it was full when you bought it...

I didn’t think of that. She only said she would make the carrot halwa to help her Mum (it is Diwali this weekend). MiL has been phoning her telling her all kinds of rules for Diwali halwa. Aditi is too nice to tell her Mum to make her own but I am having to smile sweetly while Aditi grumbles (quite out of character). I suspect this has been after a fortnight of “being treated like a four year old “ while staying at her Mum’s. Aditi said she never expected to be asked, as someone who is nearly 66, if she had washed her hands...

In case anyone is wondering about the evaporated milk, most halwa recipes require boiling down high fat (Gold top) milk. Aditi has better things to do...

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Simon G said:

I hadn't thought about using brass screws with cups, but I might do that now. 

A couple of piccies (actually I don't think these ones are brass screws, just goldy-coloured Screwfix jobbies - much cheaper and heads less prone to damage):

IMG_0016%5B1%5D.JPG.a3848c3ef6442eb3ae23ea845e3cd9b8.JPG:

IMG_0015%5B1%5D.JPG.10e663cfb41eca1c5c82be3180f0bd5a.JPGIMG_0016%5B1%5D.JPG.a3848c3ef6442eb3ae23ea845e3cd9b8.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just about sorted out the results of the internet outage this morning. It certainly poured down this afternoon but from late Sunday its wall to wall sunshine during daylight hours but its going to be cold brrr.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Good near midday from NEHerts,

I must also compliment Jamie on his use of an azerty keyboard to submit in English? 

If jamie's anything like me, he'd cheat! My computers at home and work are set for both French and English and at each location, I have 2 Logitech K270 keyboards, one QWERTY, the other AZERTY! Just toggle the language symbol on the task bar and go! (It also gives me the correct spell checker!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Again a bit less Meh today, too busy to allow it!

However internal batteries still not charging properly, and running flat quickly.  What gives? :negative: Medical profession apparently stumped, currently.  Tried to ask for prescription of lots of trains, aircraft fan GP having none of it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13