The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

21 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

need a decent night; last night would have been one except for the 45-minute session commencing around 1am with Neighbours (Upstairs) seemingly intent on making at least one baby :jester:

It must be the air in Strawberry Hill!:smile_mini2:

Brian.

• Funny 17

You will be happy to know that the usual hordes of catalogues are being delivered by USPS; one can only hope your mail box is big enough, ours has to be emptied very day!:diablo_mini:

The train looks familiar - Hitachi or some other brand of the newly minted Emperors factories which seem to be everywhere these days! 

Brian. 

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, brianusa said:

You will be happy to know that the usual hordes of catalogues are being delivered by USPS; one can only hope your mail box is big enough, ours has to be emptied very day!

It certainly is not large enough. I put a hold on my mail. I expect to come home with as many as two of the standard tubs used by the USPS.

12 minutes ago, brianusa said:

The train looks familiar - Hitachi or some other brand of the newly minted Emperors factories which seem to be everywhere these days! 

Honestly, I've not kept up. I suspect it is one of these - apparently made by Bombardier in India. (It is a Bombardier unit.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Something I have been thinking about for some time is leaving my body to medical science. On the BBC breakfast show this morning there was a piece on just that. I carry a donor card but at my age I doubt if they'll find anything useful when I leave this mortal toil, whats not worn out has had more than 70 years of abuse. Of course I will have to consult my family first before I make a commitment.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Something I have been thinking about for some time is leaving my body to medical science. ... I carry a donor card but at my age I doubt if they'll find anything useful when I leave this mortal toil, whats not worn out has had more than 70 years of abuse.

This is practical, generous and, I think, noble. Spiritual concerns aside, this is a more useful legacy than simply disposing of the remains.

Cadavers are still essential to teaching anatomy and surgery. Having known medical students, my only concern was related to the sophomoric silliness that medical students can get up to.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Something I have been thinking about for some time is leaving my body to medical science. On the BBC breakfast show this morning there was a piece on just that. I carry a donor card but at my age I doubt if they'll find anything useful when I leave this mortal toil, whats not worn out has had more than 70 years of abuse. Of course I will have to consult my family first before I make a commitment.

My uncle wanted to leave his body to science it took some work by my cousin to get his body accepted. 

• Informative/Useful 13

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Cadavers are still essential to teaching anatomy and surgery. Having known medical students, my only concern was related to the sophomoric silliness that medical students can get up to.

And then they  go on to become doctors

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

OK:

341560468_Deerinyard-002.JPG.a8178c910c4ad848060ad5bbaed75513.JPG

Are you looking at me? 

• Funny 13

Lovely sylvan view, rather like Edward G. Robinson experienced in "Soylent Green", with Charlton Heston and very appropriate in this age of global warming.:O

Tomorrow the contractor is coming around 09.00 so its up early for us.  He's going to renew both decks, which means a lot of lumber arriving with appropriate noise and upset.  Our cat will not be thrilled!:sorry:

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix went as I’d hoped, as there wasn’t the hordes of school kids and mums that I’d expected to see! I got back before Sheila and I’d almost finished packing away all the goodies shopping when she got back. Once I’d finished I made myself a muggertea and sat perusing the latest BRM as I drank it. It was then that I was informed that Shiela had decided NOT to accompany me to pick up the click and collect packages, yippee! Once I’d finished my tea I set off and was back in the house in just over 35 minutes, and yes I did keep within the local speed limits! Once the contents of these packages were checked we had some dinner. After which I again read until it was time to get my swimming gear packed and ready for my 5 o’clock dip. The roads to Salford Quays were very quiet (school half term) so I got there a lot earlier than expected and found that I was the first one to book in tonight. The water temperature was just over 14C so it’s really starting to feel cold now, but there are only 4 more swimming sessions (of which I’ll do 3) left until it closes for the year. I think it’ll be really dark next week after the clocks have changed!  

Once home, we sat and had tea, a hot bowl of potato, courgette and cheese soup served with some crusty wholemeal bread, then it was off to the living room to catch up on some recorded TV with a glass of ‘Old Speckled Hen’ 

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Greetings and salutations to you all.

I've been away for about two weeks and haven't caught up on the doings of Early Risers (with the exception of one significant passage). Being, for now, a gentlemen of some leisure, I will catch up, but probably not today - the larder needs restocking, I have prescriptions to collect and I shudder to think how many Christmas season catalogues have accumulated for me at the Post Office.

I did not bring a laptop with me and even though I had my telephone with me while I was away I had little time for, and little high bandwidth access to, the internet.

It was nice to catch up with family - long, long overdue.

I will leave you with a couple of photographic clues (taken using my telephone) to my whereabouts. 

Glasshouses.PNG.bbb9347c50357e5ab976672d7d51d202.PNG

A nice view.

WynnumNorth.PNG.4fd581945eb68a5c83b52f571426366c.PNG

A railway connection

Rainbow.PNG.565611eb64fd9b9361563a47f206a3ad.PNG

A storm passing out to sea.

Miami.PNG.904857f4a8e97162f0759b1894c64203.PNG

More beach.

Queensland - the first picture is of the Glasshouse Mountains (but you really should have blanked out the station name).

• Like 14