The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all from a cold and drizzly LBG.

The weekend has passed - Mrs Lurker and MiL met SiL for a girls' day out in town on Saturday, staying over in town and back late morning. That left me to cook, put the washing on and iron in addition to the gardening (well chopping stuff back) and hoovering I had scheduled in. Managed to tweak my back doing the chopping back and still suffering from it now. I didn't fall for the no need to tidy up, and had not only carried out the aforesaid tasks but had cooked lunch for Sunday too. So I felt very virtuous …. !

Work is currently full on year end...

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I absolutely hate having needles stuck into me. I put it down to when I was at school and there was mass innoculations. This was before the days of disposable syringes, they had about 3 interchangable needles to use on a class of 40 kids. They used the (alphabetical) class register and went down it doing each child in turn. My surname begins with a W and I was about two from the bottom of the register. This meant by the time my turn came round the needles were blunt.

Despite the huge number of intervening years, I still have the slash mark where some public health doctor chose to use a razor blade on my infant arm to ensure some virus was implanted into a baby Kingzance. I too am of an age where "sharing the needle" was unrelated to getting high.

• Friendly/supportive 15

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Probably different now but like many babies with an Asian parent, Matthew had a TB jab before he left the maternity ward. At a subsequent school inoculation session(MMR?)  the nurse demanded to know what the mark was. She got very suspicious when I said it was a TB jab site. This wasn’t a young nurse. She stomped off to get advice. I think she thought we had been torturing the child!

Tony

Everyone knows of your proclivities.......

Which don't include child torture, some people try and do what's right for the wrong reasons, something like that anyway.

Ian, I like your portico, pretty classy for the MidWest (North)!

Best, Pete.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly the doctor who administered the TB jab was German and said she was surprised that the English thought only children with Asian relatives travelled anywhere. She said she had her children inoculated against TB. 
I checked and now only the “vulnerable “ are even checked. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Interestingly the doctor who administered the TB jab was German and said she was surprised that the English thought only children with Asian relatives travelled anywhere. She said she had her children inoculated against TB. 
I checked and now only the “vulnerable “ are even checked. 
Tony

All my kids got a TB innoculation at a few weeks old as at the tine I was a desk sgt in a busy cell area and we were all classed as being at risk.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Needles, yeah. OK if I don't watch!  Like Keith, I had a larrrrge one, in this case inserted into a hip joint for MRI reactive agent insertion, the Dr radiologist (supported by a devestingly pretty radiographer - ooh!  A distraction technique!) asked if I wanted to watch the real-time x ray screen - NO!  The agreement was I would look away when they got the telegraph pole needle out, and they would do their best to hide it!  The were superb, it wasn't the most comfortable procedure but wasn't as bad as it looked!

My blood test last week I alluded to was of course a PSA (amongst other things) as a result of investigations into a real lethargy issue I currently have.  Thankfully the PSA was fine, normal for a man of my age, and as it happens everything else was too, thus giving no insight into the problem!  Worrying weekend though, the mind works on these things.  The best news was the HbA1c for diabetes is licked, down to 36 or 5.4% in new money - whoop!  Low carbohydrate diet, exercise, weight loss and no medications.  I'm lucky.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening  from a dark and dry Charente.  A busy day has been had.  Nursey arrived before 8 then the builder.  Beth was up early for the nurse. After that some errands were done and I also replenished stocks of red falling down water, some 10 litres were purchased, which should keep us going for a week or two.  I even nanaged sone work in the shed and had a practice  with the router as preparation for making a new shutter for the side door.  This afternoon  as a strange yellow object was sighted in the sky, I managed to cut the weed patch near the house. 2 sets of visitors then came and went and I gained some brownie points by producing a macaroni cheese.  Then after a break the plum crumble was heated up.  I managed to retain my provisional cooking licence by managing to spill the custard powder  and ended up looking like a Homepride flour grader from the waist down.  I did however  manage to produce sone custard.  Beth is rather tired after all the visitors and has gone to bed.  Not a lot else to report except that it will be an early start in the morning.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Good evening.

A busy day in and around the shed. origanlly I was going ot help a friend fault find on his layout ready for warley but he had some tasks to do so postponed till tomorrow. That did allow me to go and get a few lengths of timber , so work on the canopy conitued allowing me to fix the gutter and put a mid rial up ready to take the bamboo screen when it arrives.

Some modelling carried out involving fitting Kadees to a loco of mine and also for someone else.

The fox was standing on the paving by the shed in the PIR light when I went back to the shed after dinner. He soon dissappeared.

• Like 16

Evening all, on the needle thing, they don't bother me at all, though I might not volunteer for another lumber puncture and similar the epidural before knee surgery was a tad uncomfortable, I too was a blood donor who now has veins that collapse and move apparently when nurse drac is trying to get lunch.

Another lazy day at home doing very little, quite nice being retired ain't it lol.

Running low on comestibles, so a whizz round tess co's or similar my have to happen tomorrow, I have a moratorium on Asdas, don't like the way they are treating their staff, so they've lost my custom. Fairly sure other shops also miss treat their staff these days too, but as a dyed in the wool awkward so* and so Asdas are getting, or more to the point they aren't. Don't buy from Amazon either for similar reasons.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Kingzance said:

I still have the slash mark where some public health doctor chose to use a razor blade on my infant arm to ensure some virus was implanted into a baby Kingzance.

That would probably be the smallpox one, as it was usually done by scratching the skin. My mother was our doctor's secretary when there was an outbreak in Birmingham c1960. Due to the workload of a mass vaccination programme I got roped in to help and the doc paid me piecework for recording the names and addresses of all of those done.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Probably different now but like many babies with an Asian parent, Matthew had a TB jab before he left the maternity ward. At a subsequent school inoculation session(MMR?)  the nurse demanded to know what the mark was. She got very suspicious when I said it was a TB jab site. This wasn’t a young nurse. She stomped off to get advice. I think she thought we had been torturing the child!

Tony

Routine TB vaccination at school around 13 years old used to be the norm in the UK but this was stopped in 2005 when the Health Ministry decided that those children were unlikely to get TB. How they decided that I don't know as vaccination had been universally done in schools since 1953. It was decided that only certain groups such as health workers and families or those living in areas where the disease occurred regularly should be done.

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Nice tale about childbirth John. I was not around for the birth of my daughter, being somewhere between Panama City and San Francisco, but was at home for the youngest. That occurred at The Royal Berks Hospital and the birthing process was a very well managed event as it turned out. Our village midwife was about to go on holiday to China and was determined to see the arrival of the little Kingzance sprog before she left on 4th December 1982 so she "initiated" the process just before tea on 2nd December. Under her strict instructions, I took SWMBO into the RBH avoiding potholes and at a decent but not excessive speed in my V8 Rover SD1, far more comfortable than the little Datsun cherry SWMBO used. Meanwhile, the midwife called our GP and he arrived at 20:05, just after Simon - our son - (20:02) and just in time to do a bit of sewing. I had sandwiches and a flask ready for a long stay at the hospital, I was back home within 2 1/2 hours, phoning family and sipping a bit of Glenmorangie. My tastes in uisge have broadened since. Take care of yourself and Kerry.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

chickens

We kept chickens in the backyard for the whole time we lived in Australia.  As in we kept them - we didn't let them get away :jester:  On one occasion we returned home to find three more had arrived unannounced!  They had strolled up the drive and - being unable to access the backyard which was gated and secured - they had set about nesting in the car port.  It turned out they belonged to a neighbour a few houses down who young child had managed to slip the coop lock and their driveway gates ..... They were returned home later that day including the eggs they had produced meantime!  We can't do that here as it contravenes most of the local council by-laws :( 

We also kept bees and were licensed bee-keepers with just a single hive.  Subject to meeting requirements that too is lawful there but not here.  We harvested our own honey and could taste the flowers we had recently enjoyed having in season - lavender and pear in particular.  

The hive was donated to a rural bee-keeper when we left.  The chickens lived out their lives and at the end the one remaining was given to a friend who also kept them on her property.  None ever went to the kitchen though the eggs certainly did.

• Like 17