The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Marquee framework up,..... Except  for one bolt . 

It is of course right at the peak retired to to sofa at the moment with aching shoulders and neck. 

The wind finally arrive about an hour ago,  so they'll be whizzing around the course now. 

I think a large medicinal Amber liquid is called for..  Bye for now. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I think the power  to weight ratio that SA had to offer put paid to Japan. 

A great game though, although I always seem to back the losers............ Which is why I don't gamble!

Now a serious question:

Do the (ex) rugby players within ERs feel that both the English and French performance this weekend were somewhat enhanced by their long rest due to their last match against each other in the pool stages being cancelled? (That's not a gripe, just an observation.)

I think I now need a large glass of Penderyn 2012 Grand Slam single malt to calm my shattered nerves.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A great game though, although I always seem to back the losers............ Which is why I don't gamble!

Now a serious question:

Do the (ex) rugby players within ERs feel that both the English and French performance this weekend were somewhat enhanced by their long rest due to their last match against each other in the pool stages being cancelled? (That's not a gripe, just an observation.)

I think I now need a large glass of Penderyn 2012 Grand Slam single malt to calm my shattered nerves.

Richard,

Can't really help.  I missed yesterday's games and highlights due to a meeting and concert, and was at church during our game.   Just saw (most of the) second game.

Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Now a serious question:

On the Rugby thread, I have already given my view. England and France were definitely "fresher" physically. The RWC organisers need to get that sorted out for future tournaments.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I finished the Penderyn and now have that warm glow of success!

Not from the rugby I hasten to add, but by getting a Templot drawing done, printed out and stuck together.

I need to be careful, because if I were to start another bottle (Irish this time) I might  be foolish enough to  be putting my name forward to enter the GOG small layout competition.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

On the Rugby thread, I have already given my view. England and France were definitely "fresher" physically. The RWC organisers need to get that sorted out for future tournaments.

But what could they do about the weather?

It's a balance between being fresh or being battle hardened, as I said elsewhere, the accumulation of fatigue could stack up against New Zealand next week, wheres England may be better physically, but is that enough to influence the result?

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/Evening All

Not a lot to say today - finally got Barclays IT to spew out a statement after about a week of outages - wanted one a couple of weeks ago when in Totnes, and asked where the Barclays branch was, to be told "Paignton" (8 miles), "but it used to be where White Stuff is now" - ah well.  Well well indeed - was in Grange Over Sands on Thurday, and that is one of Barclays opening days there - only the bank is now shut with a to let sign - as is Lloyds, as is NatWest, and HSBC is now a Costa coffee shop - another community with no banking presence - well of course, you can use the Post Office - well with Barclays you can til the end of the year, as to save a few quid, they are withdrawing the facility (presumably so the directors can get larger bonuses). 

Rant over

Generic greetings, nice to hear from Pete, and great to see Debs looking so good, and in possession of that pawkish sense of humour - it has been sorely missed round here, and with the amount to sad and bad news around, it does help greatly.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

But what could they do about the weather?

It's a balance between being fresh or being battle hardened, as I said elsewhere, the accumulation of fatigue could stack up against New Zealand next week, wheres England may be better physically, but is that enough to influence the result?

Wasn't New Zealand's game against Italy cancelled as well as the England v France match?

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Bunny consumed - it was a little on the dry side but Tempranillo made a big difference (or the large G&T that preceded it). TV is on inn the lounge where someone is ensconced watching some spare parts in sequins get voted on. That will be followed by another of her "favourite delights" and then probably another so I feel stirrings to do something with some bits of plastic in the form of Diagram O13 once supplied by Parkside but now originating in EX12 3NA. I just need to find the jigs to hold everything square...

As to red falling down water Rick, I order a certain style from an online supplier with a limited high street presence that has regal leanings. If I order 6 bottles, even 6 different ones, they will deliver free of any delivery charge. That may not be of benefit if you aren't around to receive them however.

Edited by Kingzance
if, not is!
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Red falling down water is in plentiful supply here. 3 miles away with a hosepipe and nozzle in the wall.  I will be attending in the morning with two 5l boxes that need refilling. €1.70 per litre and very drinkable.  As to the 28% beer at $210 per bottle, 20 year old Cognac at 40% and €24 per bottle is also available. 

A plum crumble was made by SWMBO today despite her mobility issues. My provisional cooming licence is obviously safe from an upgrade as I am in trouble for serving us quarters instead of 6ths of said crumble.  Personally I can't see a problem.

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Dear muddling friends,

A while back I saw some right-angled magnetic clamps that were small enough for 4mm construction and strong enough to work with card or plastic but, as is the way with my mind full of other things, I cannot remember from whom they can be purchased. I have tried the normal tool suppliers and internet search facilities without success. Can anyone help please?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Dear muddling friends,

A while back I saw some right-angled magnetic clamps that were small enough for 4mm construction and strong enough to work with card or plastic but, as is the way with my mind full of other things, I cannot remember from whom they can be purchased. I have tried the normal tool suppliers and internet search facilities without success. Can anyone help please?

Perhaps they were small welding magnets?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Watched the news item on Quantas's 19 hour New York-Sydney flight, and wondered what the endurance of earlier aircraft would have been. I looked up maritime patrol aircraft, since I remembered reading about patrols of 15 hours plus. From that, I got on to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_Sunrise

which was quite something! Tiny payload, though. It also explains the origin of Quantas's (them again!) kangaroo logo.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 13