The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Sockets in bathrooms have been permitted here for as long as I’ve consciously used them. I understand there are defined zones around sinks, showers and similar where restrictions apply, but otherwise, I concur that it would seem odd to me not to have any power outlets there!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

We suffered from cousins of your pigeons Tony until our young (I have no idea how old he is but most people are younger than me these days) window cleaner stuck some long thin stainless steel spikes on the roof ridge. The pigeons have now moved to sit on nearby scaffolding, saving me feeding them .22 lead pills.

With what do you deliver the .22 pills with?

I have a selection of delivery systems available, although four of them are presently deployed to Llanwrtyd in support of the local red Squirrel population, and are being used on Grey Squirrel dispatching services.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

As to sockets in bathroons. I seem to remember that electrocitions in the bath were quite common when I was a child due to people puttin electric fires on those racks that you put across bath's to put the soap on.  The other cause was hair driers.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Toastie ingredients purchased.

Branston.  Comte. Honeyed ham. Gouda. Red Leicester. Dijon. Salted butter. White bread. 

There's some chilli growing in the greenhouse if memory serves.

My grandad installed sockets in the bathroom of his council flat.  The plug in bathroom heater looked like a cast-iron cylindrical chimenea*. In fairness he was a firewatcher in the East end during the war. 

* the mains cable was a sort of wool covered thing. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

For the UK. Not so in many other places. Australia being one. SWMBO being Australian was flummoxed upon first visiting these shores and wondered where the toothbrush and hairdryer plugged in. 

I now use a battery-powered shaver but for many years ran a mains one plugged into the nearest available socket via an extension cord. 

I have managed to survive - touch wood - for 62½ years to date. 

Apparently the Colonies don't suffer the H & S influence of the mother country, millions have survived ever since the power was switched on.  Here in the US as most probably know, there are outlets in bathrooms,  ours sits beside the sinks on the vanity and instead of a pull switch for the lights, we use a normal on off switch.  Where else could one use hair dryers, etc?   No problem!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Will be going to the Chelmsford show tomorrow. I was a bit worried when it was announced that roads were going to be closed in Chelmsford for a marathon but as it turns out thats on the Sunday. Mention of toasties reminded me that cooked cheese seems to encourage Arthur Itis, by cutting it out I seem to suffer less as well as the benefits to the waistline.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Just to disappoint you all, you are allowed sockets in bathrooms in the UK,  it's just that few of us have a bathroom big enough.  A full Mains socket has to be 3 metres from the nearest edge of the  bath  or shower.. 

And a shaver socket no less than 600mm from the bath or shower.

We had no problem with sorting out SWMBOs mothers affairs after her death,  except the probate office for Milton Keynes is in Leicester!!!  And I was on a course near Blackpool I had to drive down, pick up SWMBO then back to Leicester.. 

Evening awl,  I'm back from the MRC,  where it was somewhat quiet,  there was a total of....... 2 of us,  it seems Likely most have gone down with this cold.  The two of us that turned up are younger than most so have been able to fight on. 

I was late getting there because I had to drop off SWMBO at her art group,  the instructor drops her back here,  but can't take her there as he teaches another group elsewhere beforehand. His house is just within sight of ours,  about a mile away. 

Even then work on Tiree was limited as they are redecorating the club,  and it's heading my way,  so I packed up muddling early in order to move Tiree away from the walls. 

I've drunk my choccy  and so to sleep

Goodnight Awl. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A useful feature of today's visit to Pendon was a reminder from one of the exhibitors (Nick of Much Murkle) that the Didcot show is tomorrow although we won't be there first thing as the Good Doctor apparently first has to watch some sporting event which will be taking place in Japan ( on the television - lest you credit her with hypersonic travel abilities).  Usually a good little show so well worth a visit even if a certain Germanic layout from a particular member of this august part of RMweb will not be present.

And hopefully the roadworks on the Wallingford bypass will not be contributing to traffic delays . 

• Like 18