The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Afternoon all. 

Following our summer trip to Rannoch, where the children were introduced to the delights of a "toastie", an application was made to purchase a toated sandwich maker. This is due for its christening over the weekend. Whilst the children will be content with ham and cheese, SWMBO has requested cheese and Branston pickle. 

Hot Branston pickle? Seriously?

Is this a culinary thing or a culinary nightmare?! I suspect the latter. 

Have a glass of very cold milk ready to cool the molten lava..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

If the Noises From Above remain at a background level 

Aditi informed me this morning that “noises from above” had kept her awake last night. Her Mum has a “penthouse” flat and there are skylights which make rain seem very loud. When the rain stops there seem to be lots of tap dancing pigeons. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi informed me this morning that “noises from above” had kept her awake last night. Her Mum has a “penthouse” flat and there are skylights which make rain seem very loud. When the rain stops there seem to be lots of tap dancing pigeons. 

We suffered from cousins of your pigeons Tony until our young (I have no idea how old he is but most people are younger than me these days) window cleaner stuck some long thin stainless steel spikes on the roof ridge. The pigeons have now moved to sit on nearby scaffolding, saving me feeding them .22 lead pills.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

We suffered from cousins of your pigeons Tony until our young (I have no idea how old he is but most people are younger than me these days) window cleaner stuck some long thin stainless steel spikes on the roof ridge. The pigeons have now moved to sit on nearby scaffolding, saving me feeding them .22 lead pills.

Unlike Aditi her Mum is unaware of the noisy rain or pigeons once she removes her hearing aids. MiL seems more interested in detering squirrels from her terrace garden at the moment.  

• Like 17

There's a lakefront property in the next community that was extensively upgraded a few years ago. When the owners are not using it it's available as a vacation rental.

On the paw patrol yesterday there was a large dumpster there and two lads were chucking everything, including the drywall, into it. There had been a fire. The structure was OK but everything inside was damaged by the smoke.

Someone, probably a renter or cleaner, had repositioned a couch too close to an in-wall electric heater. We had a sudden cold snap. Thermostat turned on the heater and there was nobody there to detect the problem.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Back from the hospital we have come. A thoroughly  p**sed off wife is now next to me on the settee.  Despite having been a surgeons secretary  she thought that she would have a 'walking boot' applied.  No such luck, 4 more weeks in pot and 3 more weeks of the 8am nurse visits.   It will mean that hopefully  she will be able to use the new bathroom before she is out of pot.  As to noises from above, we have our resident edible doormice aka gliss gliss.   As to sockets in the bathroom, yes they are present here. Our bathroom heater is hard wired. No one has been electrocuted yet.......

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Talking of noisy birds on the roof, I have what is known as 'Flintlock' guttering on my house. These consist of a line of concrete slabs with a gully moulded in. They were originally steel lined but this had rusted away. Some had tried painting them with bitumen but the only solution was a zinc lining which I had fitted several years ago. The birds often make a racket scratching around for insects but I don't mind as in doing so the keep the gutters clear of moss and dead leaves. Surprisingly the noisiest are the tits and sparrows, the noise they make makes you think theres a turkey up there.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16

The bathrooms in our house all have sockets, fitted with GFIs (ground fault interrupters). I did a 'wiring for homeowners' course soon after I came to Canada, and asked the instructor about having sockets and 'regular' light switches in bathrooms. The code says all sockets should be GFIs. He also said that the 'cord to ceiling' switches common in UK bathrooms are not allowed here, apparently because of the risk of a damp cord forming a path to/from the electrical bits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 16

On 17/10/2019 at 11:09, 81C said:

I thought he slipped off the train roof and the crowd went to his aid .:jester:

As for those ears Kelly it gives you some idea of how big he is going to grow he can put his paws on my shoulders and he's only 6 months old large breed dogs are normally half their size at that age.

Blimey! I don't think we'd cope with a dog bigger than Poppy, who is bigger than a normal staffy due to the greyhound in her (so taller rather than wider like a staffy).

• Like 16

Evening all, I appear to be a late riser today! oops.

Anyway, first off, deepest condolences to John.

Natalie should be here soonish I expect, as we're off to Newark to do the DEMU stand for the day tomorrow there. Kinda glad it is only one day for us this time, it is getting harder and hard to manage two days it feels. That aside over the last few days I've gotten a lot of work done on UPDate issue 92, which is a relief.

Right, best sign off, I should phone my mum for an update on dad.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Would you bl@@dy Adam and Eve it! Just when I had started to relax a bit thinking I was over our previous house, the selling agents asked "where are the lawn mowers?" This is clearly a case of erectus as somehow the list of fixtures and fittings sent to our selling agent with the contract is a version that we had agreed with a previous purchaser who was unable to complete their own sale on which the purchase of ours was conditional. Nothing can be done until next week now but it seems the ride-on mower (that is a bit dodgy anyway) and for which I had found a local user may now have to go back up the road to satisfy a document that was attached to the contract in error. :angry: 

• Friendly/supportive 18

7 hours ago, Northroader said:

Plug and socket in a bathroom??!!! That’s a no no.

Not in the US. Standard practice all covered by the building codes, GFCI outlets are allowable in bathrooms and kitchen areas, seems strange to NOT allow them :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3