The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the Charente.  Still dark and a bit damp here. Not a lot else to report apart from a trip to yet another DIY shed to get so e plumbing bits this afternoon. 

Thoughts very much with John and Sandy.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare again,

A reasonably good night sleep, of almost 6.5 hours solid, helped by a large hot toddy, and I think this cold is finally breaking. I'm left with the occasional heavy coughing and pain from throat and chest while that goes on..

You can tell, when the river level is high in Wroxham, the puddles in the car park 2 inches deep, carry on past the boats, 5 ft deep.....

Ben "I'm scared of the Dark" Collie decided that a near full moon and cloud less sky was light enough to go out this morning, in fact he went down Stairs straight after his morning greeting to SWMBO, before I had finished morning ablutions. He Normally lies on the floor next to her side of the bed intently watching for me to leave the bathroom. Chilly it was out there too.

Current shunts.. that's my main work today, They want them to ship to the USA by Friday. 

I spent a fair amount of last night wading through books on rathad-iarainn, looking to find out what paint they used inside stations on their fences... Creosote, so anything between shiny black newly painted and age-ed grey "we haven't got round to it for years", will do. All deliveries of fencing and future heather that were ordered on Sunday have arrived, unfortunately some had price labels on the packets...OH dear...

This computer is insistent it wants to update and reset again, third time in 3 days..

Time to go warm up the lab with some shunts..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

9 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Ben "I'm scared of the Dark" Collie decided that a near full moon and cloud less sky was light enough to go out this morning, in fact he went down Stairs straight after his morning greeting to SWMBO, before I had finished morning ablutions. He Normally lies on the floor next to her side of the bed intently watching for me to leave the bathroom. Chilly it was out there too.

Funny things at times aren't they? :) Poppy (otherwise known by names such as Homing Missile, Rocket, or just Trouble (the first two because she is Staffie/AmStaff/Greyhound cross so loves to run, but hasn't figured out stopping properly, the last because she is a cheeky madam!)) doesn't tend to care how cold, warm or otherwise it is outside as long as Richard is going out with her to, very much a 'if you're getting wet then fine, I'll chase a goose!' (the last time she chased a goose she got very wet as she didn't manage to stop before hitting the lake at almost greyhound speeds and a big splash, needing to be fetched out by the 10m (sometimes 5m, othertimes 15m) lead Richard keeps her on as she loses all sense of recall if she sees another dog!)). If it is raining she won't go outside, even if she is desperate to use the garden for her business. Instead she'll look at Richard or me as if to tell us it is our fault the ground is wet!

• Funny 19

3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

My experience of SBT type dogs is their abject fear of rain.

If they are hit by as much as a single raindrop, they believe they are going to melt.

Very true! Poppy I think isn't quite like most SBTs, but if she gets a rain drop on her she bolts for the nearest door. The only time she tolerates it is when she is on her walk with Richard. Natalie's Mum's dog Bracken (a staffie/ridgeback cross) won't even let you put a coat on her and acts like a typical staffie when confronted by rain. Fallen snow however turns her into a snowplow apparently!

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Set off even earlier for work as the traffic has made me late everyday this week. 

Sadly a major pile up on the main trunk road last night has brought traffic to a complete halt.  Turned round and plan to take the morning off.

I have an appointment near Southend airport on Monday week. Contemplating staying overnight so I'm not late. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Believe it or not, but here in the northwest, the sun is shining and the sky is blue! Plans for this morning are to make a batch of celeriac soup and also a batch of saag aloo  most of these will get frozen but we will have some of the soup for tea tonight and some of the saag aloo on Saturday, when Mike and Sarah come round for tea. Once I’ve finished in the kitchen the rest of the day will be spent in the cellar, where I hope to fit the end panel of the under stairs drawer and add some beading to the corner joint. I will then be able to put the freezer into its proper place, as I moved it to give me access to the side of the drawer. 

Plans for later are to go swimming in Salford Quays, hoping like Tuesday that I can get there early and be in the water for 5 o’clock.

Thoughts as ever with John and Sandy. 

Whatever you have planned for the day, enjoy it. 

Back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I thought he slipped off the train roof and the crowd went to his aid .:jester:

As for those ears Kelly it gives you some idea of how big he is going to grow he can put his paws on my shoulders and he's only 6 months old large breed dogs are normally half their size at that age.

IMG-20190913-WA0001.jpeg.bf471c822bc1152e1735836ab6db458b.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. This mornings post had a questionaire from the B****t party. I was about to bin it when I noticed that it had a freepost address so I'm sending it back to Nigel Farage with a note reminding him not to drop litter. A rather unusual model arrived in the same post, its of a satellite. It comes in a very small box and clips together.

3 hours ago, AndyB said:

I have an appointment near Southend airport on Monday week. Contemplating staying overnight so I'm not late. 

If your coming by car avoid the A13 at the moment, its one long building site from the Orsett Cock to Stamford-le-Hope.

Thoughts as allways with John and Sandy, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning (just about) all,

Apologies for the lack ofa goodnight last night but teh router decide to play silly b****rs for some reason and didn't even like a reboot.

Baz's comment about those from Leeds being sent via York yesterday explains the amazing sight just after 10.00 on York station when a very heavily sardine packed Northern unit arrived and several hundred people sprinted back along the platform en masse to join the 1002 to London, which left several minutes late.  I wondered why so many folk had chosen a non-connection?

I trust  81C Bob will be fit enough to join the Pendon congregation tomorrow as it look to be a good day although I suspect a 'depart early to get a parking space'  tactic might not be a bad idea.  So should I go to Root 1 to claim my free breakfast I wonder?   Decisions, decisions but it looks like time would be against me if I did call in there.

I have been rather amused to note that the abbreviation of Extinction Rebellion to XR is exactly the same as the code used for Crossrail trains on Real Time Trains - there must be a message there but I'm not sure what it is!  Incidentally the nutters who got themselves on top of a tube trains have - according to my count - broken at least three TfL rail byelaws.  And they are all Level 3 on the standard tariff - which means a maximum fine of  £1,000 for each byelaw breach of which they are found guilty in court, serves 'em right for being so stupid and I hope they are fined up to the maximum; total pack of idiots behaving like that.

More special thoughts today for John and Sandy and it was good to hear from Rick that Sharon had a good day.  Take care the rest of you and enjoy your day.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Tidying up the trypos, hopefully.
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Ah, I read XR as Cross Rail and wondered what the heck was going on...

Fortunately XR didn’t choose ER as an abbreviation, that would have confused me. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the posts about rain avoiding dogs. My Mum had a Schnauzer that was very reluctant to go out when it was raining. Fortunately he was small enough to be put outside for toilet breaks. As I am sure you recall Robbie was an all weather dog, so we had to go out and ignore rain, sleet or snow. When it was a sunny day he would run from one shaded place to another.

Tony

• Like 12