The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs NHN's old shape Picasso also had the battery under the seat and a positive pole connector under the bonnet for jump starting issues - never needed in 180,000 miles of motoring.  The new shape one...errrr never looked!  It's too new for me to get my hands dirty on is my excuse.

My new E.V (aka the "High and Dry") has its accessory 12v large battery pack, well protected inboard in the rear tailgate area, completely hidden behind a carpeted hatch panel, it took some finding too! 

I wonder if these inboard location choices are for reasons of collision impact resistance? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Evening all,

I have duly returned from the far from frozen (thus far) north.  My outward journey on Monday was made via GWR, then TfL (very interesting conversation at Edgware Road with a Motorman/Driver regarding H&S and Circle Line signalling and automatic operation) and finally LNER ( on a very heavily loaded HST, bound for Inverness, with a dodgy reservation system - grr - a pleasant passenger sitting opposite who had a low opinion of said HST [and a very high opinion of GWR's new IET] as our train rocked, rattled, and bounced it way northwards).  Nice hotel in York apart from being on the top floor with no lift to get me there.  

Breakfast yesterday was amusing because just as I asked a lady if it would be alright to take a vacant chair at the table which she (and her husband?)  were about to sit at said husband appeared with a cheery, 'good morning Mike' - you do meet RMweb members in the most unusual of circumstances.  He and I subsequently made our way to our business of the day at the NRM where we met several other RMweb members attending the same event, mostly in a more official capacity than us - the subject of which has a thread all of its own here - 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/148319-locomotion-rails-of-sheffield-announce-secr-d-class/page/6/

Apart from that I enjoyed various strolls around the city and listened to some superb bell ringing which came not from the practice at the Minster (none too good alas) but from St Martins in Coney Street.  And then today, with no other RMweb members at breakfast, and a return journey on a Cross Country train finishing off with GWR local services.  Definitely worth avoiding London and all the trains heading that way were very heavily loaded for whatever reason.

Thoughts with those who are suffering and those who care for them.

With trains delayed out of Leeds the very helpful LNER station staff ewere directing everyone to go from Leeds to York and then onto London..which would mean another hour on our journey time.

Pah!

One day the NRM may just pick a more north eastern based prototype. There again probably not.

Excellent chinese meal eaten in Stevenage old town.

Tracked down some old friends..or rather their houseas they appear not to be at home.

Very positive thoughts to all ERs.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Debs. said:

My new E.V (aka the "High and Dry") has its accessory 12v large battery pack, well protected inboard in the rear tailgate area, completely hidden behind a carpeted hatch panel, it took some finding too! 

I wonder if these inboard location choices are for reasons of collision impact resistance? 

Seems like a reasonable supposition. 

How do you find the Hyundai -  is it an Ironic Ionic or a Kona ? My High and Dry is a diseasel auto but has proved a better assembled car than the two previous Flaweds.  It has proved faultless so far.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The Volvo V70 battery is in the boot and looks like it could power a small village.

Probably designed by a BT engineer. There are enough relays in a V70 to run a  telephone exchange.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

I had a bit of a Señor moment - well really more like a Señor 24 hours.

I could not remember how I'd converted my little PCB design into the G-code that drives the actual milling machine. I had several programs down-loaded on my PC that can do that but none of them seemed familiar. I seemed to remember the one I used was nice and simple, but look as I might I could not find it on my PC. After much googling I found one with a familiar name - Carbide Copper. Still couldn't find the program on my PC so I thought I'd download it again.

No Can Do. It's an web app that runs under the web-browser. Doh!

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Things are a bit hectic at the club house this evening. The builders have finished their work which required the removal of a stud wall. It was our intention to remove the wall anyway but at a later date so it means other alterations can take place such as turning a short corridor leading to one of the two rooms (that are now one) into a useful storage space. Next week a bit lot of  sanding down and painting to be done.

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Seems like a reasonable supposition. 

How do you find the Hyundai -  is it an Ironic Ionic or a Kona ? My High and Dry is a diseasel auto but has proved a better assembled car than the two previous Flaweds.  It has proved faultless so far.

I bought my Hyundai new 11 years ago and only now am I considering changing it. Not because of any problems but simply that I need a larger car.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

A bit more progress has been made in the cellar, I managed to get 2 coats of paint on the end panel and it is now ready to be fitted to the under stairs drawer frame. I then decided to change the screws that I've used to fix the shelf brackets as I’m not convinced they are up to the job. So all 6 brackets were removed, the holes were then drilled out to accept larger screws and they were then refitted to the walls. I also gave the shelf support frames a couple of coats of undercoat too. After dinner I did a little tidying up and knocked off early in time for the school run. 

Tonight’s tea was roast chicken and all the trimmings, which went down well, followed by apple crumble and custard, which also went down well.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

It's the 'Ironic' :mosking: and a very good vehicle it is too.

The Koreans do seem to be able to do build quality, features and value all at the same time......the warranty/aftercare was then the deal clincher. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Thoughts with Sandy & John

Total darkness outside street lights are off at this early hour

I'm racked with pain and waiting for the pain killers to kick in an Epidural is booked for Tuesday next week I don't think it helped falling out of the garage loft last week 

the bruising is still visible, twenty minutes on and still in pain I will get up and put a load in the washing machine and have some caffeine & toast then watch some early morning 

tripe on telly. 

:sadclear:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Good morning one and all, as John's vigil continues and Sandy shows unbelievable bravery as she hangs on in there.

Yesterday's Area Group lunch went well.  £13 is perhaps a bit steep for a chicken and mushroom pie but it was very good.  Today I need to make sense of the hieroglyphics that pass for notes and write the report.  Last night saw the Radio 2 Folk Awards.  I do not always take these seriously given what has escaped without honour over the years: how on earth could "Be The Man" not have been recognised two years ago ffs?  I didn't catch all of last night's programme but the award of best album to Trials of Cato's "Hide and Hair" was utterly merited.   Later, "The Apprentice" continued to showcase the chronic shortage of brain cells in future captains of industry.  It's so bad it's funny and that is not a compliment.

MRJ274 arrived yesterday.   Jerry Clifford's editorial takes mental health as its theme.  Be sure that I will respond, but not on this thread.  Reading it prompted me to look out one of the etched frets that scares the carp out of me.  I wonder where I put it?  The search will continue once I have schlepped into town and procured the slow cooker, assuming of course that it is still available.  Then I must learn how to use it!

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1