The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Oh Calamity! Just realised that England are playing France on Saturday morning so will have to give Aldershot a miss!  :(

VHS?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

Evening awl,

An enforced absence due to a broadband outage.  After some pulling and pushing of wires, decided it was caused by my BT Response 120 telephone having given up the ghost.  Only 35 years old, they don't make them to last any more. 

The big plus was the answerphone facility , which eliminated Nigerian princes, Microhard engineers and sundry chancers hoping to disinvest me of my pension funds.  Does anyone know of a relatively direct replacement?

Bill

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Loved your choice of music. I'm a fan of Mike Oldfield. One of my favourites is Ommadawn which always lifts my mood as it's such happy music.

I wish I could play one instrument. I suspect without Mike Oldfield the Richard Branson empire wouldn’t exist!

• Like 8
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Evening awl,

An enforced absence due to a broadband outage.  After some pulling and pushing of wires, decided it was caused by my BT Response 120 telephone having given up the ghost.  Only 35 years old, they don't make them to last any more. 

The big plus was the answerphone facility , which eliminated Nigerian princes, Microhard engineers and sundry chancers hoping to disinvest me of my pension funds.  Does anyone know of a relatively direct replacement?

Bill

We and MiL have cordless BT phones with an answerphone (digital, no tape). They keep changing the model number and facilities but they work.MiL’s one has blocking options too. You can get I think versions with between one and 4 handsets. We still have one conventional phone just in case of power cuts.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

What a day of truly mixed weather, dry, wet, dull but not really very cold. After finishing making the cake this morning I once again went downstairs and continued painting the pullout drawer. It has now had 2 topcoats applied and once it’s fully hardened will be installed under the stairs. Once the first coat was put on I was stuck for something to do so I went to the workshop and finished building the small drawers on the tool stand I built yesterday and was completed just in time for dinner. 

After applying the 2nd coat of paint I made a start on painting the frames of the shelving. There was no swimming tonight as the Monday evening slot has now ended, leaving just Tuesdays and Thursdays, so the plan is to go tomorrow evening for a 5 o’clock start and get back for a slightly later tea. 

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A quick good morning from Hiroshima.

Oddly enough my FIAT was made there. It was assembled on Mazda's assembly line in Hiroshima (quite well I might add). The body was designed in Italy and the engine/transmission may have come from Italy but as for the rest of it I have no clue.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

5 minutes ago, chrisf said:

To cut a long and very angry story short, I went to the pharmacy where I was handed a bag containing my meds.

Chris, you did at least achieve what you set out to do, even if the means were unexpected.

I get frustrated when my pharmacy forgets to plan ahead and contact my doctor for refills ahead of time - which is the opposite problem. It is rare that I hand them a paper Rx any more. I am headed there tomorrow to collect a recurring item, that when I asked for them to fill it on Saturday, they realized that the script had expired and would have to contact the doctor.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. After using the last of the rum last night I delved into the drinks cabinet to see if there was any suitable distilates to go with the Lem-sips. I found a bottle of C********s ale dated 2004, a nearly full bottle of Contreau liqueur and half a bottle of Apricot Brandy. I don't know how old they are but I'm pretty sure they pre date the bottle of ale. There was also bottles of port and Martini that I may possibly have inherited from my parents and which date back to before 1980. I have a few bottles of beer, cider and wine around the house, I will have to do a booze audit though a lot of it will have to be poured away. The thing is I now drink very little if any alcohol so I will end up giving most of it away.

There should be nothing wrong with the spirits,  alcohol is used as a preservative (ask Nelson) , there is a pretty good chance most of the beers will be ok in these sterile produced ways...

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

4 hours then  dozing on the sofa, not good.

Ben the "I'm scared of the Dark" Collie,  is now refusing to go past half way down the garden, as it's not illuminated from the house lights...

I didn't get this weeks major system yesterday, I'm promised it this morning. as it was it took nearly 5 hours to measure 5 resistors in 3 boxes, they are somewhat sensitive to people coming in to the lab. I'd have never managed it in the temporary lab. I have the same resistors to do again today and tomorrow between getting this weeks major system up and running.

Much of what I ordered to refinforce the trailer hard top has arrived, I've decided to use builders banding along the sections that I need to stop the screws pulling through on, It's a galvanised plastic coated version. there are some fairly hefty angle brackets as well. the 4X 2s I'll pick up on thursday, if I need to buy some (there are some bits left over from the boat supports, but are they big enough?). I will be going right past the big orange shed on my way to visit mt sailing compatriot.

Time too, stroll down to my old, but refurbished lab...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2