The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I went out in light waterproofs  in the rain to move the trailer,  while out there SWMBO said... you may as well take Ben out his walk he won't want to go far in the rain..... 

Several miles later, it's  bucketing down,  Ben is happy wanting his ball thrown, slowing us down more. 

Coming back up the road river it was several inches deep across the single track road filling between the  verges.

It's just been on TV the Norwich to GY and lowestoft  trains are cancelled due to flooding.. 

Turkey soup is on its way...  I need it.... 

Many years ago, when I lived on the Isle of Wight, if it was raining (the heavier the better) and the tide was right, I used to go for a five or so mile round walk between Shanklin Chine and Yaverland wearing little more than a singlet, shorts and sacrificial trainers. Pure relaxation and exhilaration! I can confirm, however, that hail stones hurt on bare skin!

Alas, as I have grown (physically, not necessarily mentally) older, my tolerance to the cold ain't wot it used to be. However, bare skin remains more waterproof than most clothing! (And dries quicker!)

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

2 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Many years ago, when I lived on the Isle of Wight, if it was raining (the heavier the better) and the tide was right, I used to go for a five or so mile round walk between Shanklin Chine and Yaverland wearing little more than a singlet, shorts and sacrificial trainers. Pure relaxation and exhilaration! I can confirm, however, that hail stones hurt on bare skin!

Alas, as I have grown (physically, not necessarily mentally) older, my tolerance to the cold ain't wot it used to be. However, bare skin remains more waterproof than most clothing! (And dries quicker!)

It's cold,  we face the north sea,  and being diabetic I can't control the temperature of my extremities very well.  In my youth on holiday on IoW, it would have been no problem,  grandma was from Ventnor,  we had quite a few holidays down that way. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

yesterday's rugby was watched on the tablet in our hotel room. We used a VPN to get ITV from the uk, as the none of the matches were being screened on TV. Local intelligence was gleaned as to the possibility of using the Tokyo fan zone, but it was full and they were turning people away.

I don't know; go on holiday to Japan and just want to watch ITV!! Could have saved thousands by staying at home :jester:

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

It's cold,  we face the north sea,  and being diabetic I can't control the temperature of my extremities very well.  In my youth on holiday on IoW, it would have been no problem,  grandma was from Ventnor,  we had quite a few holidays down that way. 

Interestingly, in my formative years, holidays were spent in Cromer or Sheringham.

1976 to 1989 I lived in Shanklin, some 150 yards (then) from the cliff path.

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, trisonic said:

youtube.com/watch?v=G4Yzx4MUWu8

Here's a lovely vid of a pal mine instructing how to refuel a F-16-C air to air. He makes it look too easy even on a simulation....

Best, Pete.

That didn't seem to work either! Can anyone see the film?

I seem to remember a quote from the book about the Vulcan raid on the Falklands " Air to air refuelling is like trying to stuff wet spaghetti  up a cat's ar*se.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Debs. said:

Plenty of space on that deck for quoits! :mocking_mini:

Even more in the hanger beneath make a great tuoyal room. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I seem to remember a quote from the book about the Vulcan raid on the Falklands " Air to air refuelling is like trying to stuff wet spaghetti  up a cat's ar*se.

Jamie

SWMBO would say to the Yank pilots after an air to air exersize.. Can we have our basket back? 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

We have had rain, wind (gusts) and sun today but luckily no fire.

After a good day out, today was psent at home, well more precisly in the shed working on another two L & B coaches ofr the planned new layout. Also 34081 '92 Squadron' now has the later chimney cowling around added as it was repainted from an early version. I may go back into shed shortly to give the styrene infills a coat of paint.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most (other times are available elsewhere in the world).

John, I do hope that the treatment helps Sandy. It just seems to take so long to get true palliative care.

I have been listening to the remastered version of Abbey Road. The Beatles were a great band..and the music still sounds great.. new remix makes it all much clearer and showss how good they were as individuals and as a group.

Positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather here in the northwest stayed bright and sunny until mid afternoon, when we had a fairly heavy shower, but it did rain for long, not that it made much difference, as I was busy in the workshop. By the end of the afternoon, I’d build the 2 & 3 drawer units and the carcass of the 2nd tool stand, leaving just its 3 small drawers to build. So all in all, I’ve had a great day in the workshop, tomorrow I’ll carry on in the cellar. 

After tea it was a short rest before I phoned my brother in Canada, as is the norm, we didn’t change the world, but had a good old chin wag.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18