The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A trip for lunch in Mennonite country today. We were stopped for a steam powered train crossing the road. Inquiry revealed that they will be running steam again on Thanksgiving Day so we tried to get tickets. Neither of the stations we went to seemed to be staffed so I had to go online tonight.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Chuckinitdarn  and I am off to an umpires meeting in Denby Derbyshire. Pah!

Grasp the day and shake it until it arranges itself to be a good one!

Positive thoughts to all who ail!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl inner Temple Hare, 

A good nights sleep,  7 + 1/2 hour. 

I've been out on patrol with Ben the sprinter collie,  he spotted something down the garden  and shot off  chasing. I didn't  see anything.  When I got down there, he lay down looking unhappy, and then  came over for reassurance before laying down again. After doing his stuff,  we came back to the house.  He's now curled up in SWMBOs chair still not happy. 

It's cold wet and windy out there,  puddle size indicates we've not had a huge amount of rain but that could change. 

A quick inspection of the trailer hard top was made,  I think I'm going to reinforce  the entire door opening with 2x4s on the outside. This will also allow heavier duty hinges.   I've also noticed the screws holding the hard top clamping battens onto the trailer , are pulling through the ply.  I'll have to get a lot of penny  washers or find some other way reinforcement.

The kettle has sprung a leak,  so a new one will have to be decided on. 

I'm feeling cold, tired and exhausted after the last few days, other than putting the trailer back in its proper parking place.  I'm not intending to do much today.  I have the modified jib sat next to me,  I may just sit here and sow the new seam.  I have a sailmakers Palm,  needle and thread ready. 

RAF radar stations were also almost entirely wired in pink ptfe wire,  a nightmare if you need to trace a wire in 7ft high racks of equipment,  across a 100ft square building full of these racks, when you find the wiring diagram in A.P. is wrong.

For Tiree I've fitted  a red / black heavy wire buss bar to connect the track droppers to, having removed the many sections used for train detection. The original builder used multicolour ribbon 36 wire cable to distribute the signals around.

With a dozen power supplies and two control panels for a 12ft by 2ft layout,  things were exceedingly complicated.  This I simplified for Harry who bought the layout from the original builders sister when he died. Since I inherited  the layout a couple of years ago,  I've decided once the scenic rebuild is done,  I will completely rewire,  it's already down to just 3 PSUs.

Ben has hidden in the cage,  it's just started raining again. 

Time to ... get a Muggacoffee using the the mobile home kettle. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

nice and Sunny here.

Up early having slept through till 7am, I have a lunchtime date with my Cyber Babe it will be the first time of meeting her face on,

I must get the laundry into the tumble dryer and tidy up back later.

Enjoy your day :superman:Juan Sheet :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Debs. said:

:rolleyes:Excepting the ones that have been in liquidisers. :mosking:

Toads rather than frogs but...

My first teaching post was in a science department. The biology department had lots of animals, including a large tank of African clawed toads. Unfortunately over a weekend the thermostat must have failed and all that was left was a sort of toad soup. Our new lab technician started that Monday. Her comment to biology teacher  when asked to deal with it, “this wasn’t quite what I expected when you asked if I minded working with animals”.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. It sure bucketed down last night but now its dry. But for how long? I still have the lurgy so last night was a couple of Lem-sip capsules washed down with a drop of rum. The result was 7 hours solid sleep. I feel a lot better but the lurgy is still lingering. Thats it for now, be back later. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Toads rather than frogs but...

My first teaching post was in a science department. The biology department had lots of animals, including a large tank of African clawed toads. Unfortunately over a weekend the thermostat must have failed and all that was left was a sort of toad soup.

Eeeeeewwwwww!:wacko:

• Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning (just) everyone 

A bit late on parade this morning, we both slept in so must have needed the rest. It was raining earlier this morning (6:30ish) but the sun is now shining. Anyway, breakfast has been consumed and muggertea No2 is almost gone, so I’m heading to the workshop shortly. 

Back later

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I went out in light waterproofs  in the rain to move the trailer,  while out there SWMBO said... you may as well take Ben out his walk he won't want to go far in the rain..... 

Several miles later, it's  bucketing down,  Ben is happy wanting his ball thrown, slowing us down more. 

Coming back up the road river it was several inches deep across the single track road filling between the  verges.

It's just been on TV the Norwich to GY and lowestoft  trains are cancelled due to flooding.. 

Turkey soup is on its way...  I need it.... 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

On 04/10/2019 at 03:38, Coombe Barton said:

Engineers

Our water company now calls them "Technicians"

Have you visited Niagara? One interesting part below the falls is the site of what must be the World's first hydraulic "explosion". They would have been grateful for some technicians there beforehand, I guess.

Best, Pete.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 11

10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I went out in light waterproofs  in the rain to move the trailer,  while out there SWMBO said... you may as well take Ben out his walk he won't want to go far in the rain..... 

Several miles later, it's  bucketing down,  Ben is happy wanting his ball thrown, slowing us down more. 

Coming back up the road river it was several inches deep across the single track road filling between the  verges.

It's just been on TV the Norwich to GY and lowestoft  trains are cancelled due to flooding.. 

Turkey soup is on its way...  I need it.... 

Is the soup "bootiful" by any chance...………………………..(I'll get my coat)

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Is the soup "bootiful" by any chance...………………………..(I'll get my coat)

Err no it speaks with a Scottish accent,  we bought it on sale on Wednesday,  about half the price of Tescos turkey.. 

Soups arrived... Gobble gobble.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 8
  • Funny 6

youtube.com/watch?v=G4Yzx4MUWu8

Here's a lovely vid of a pal mine instructing how to refuel a F-16-C air to air. He makes it look too easy even on a simulation....

Best, Pete.

That didn't seem to work either! Can anyone see the film?

Edited by trisonic
Toad - Peter "Ginger" Baker, RIP
  • Like 9