The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

You wouldn't want to connect black wires to track on my layouts. That's 16 V ac. I use red and blue for track feeds / common since my first exhibition layout back in 1980.

I recall the red-green-black of the old mains wiring which has now become brown-green/yellow-blue.

I have always seen red as positive and black as negative (as, it seems, do a majority of electrical suppliers! Ever looked under the bonnet of your car?) and wire red-and-black-to-the-track with red on the right of the direction of travel on the principal line.

It is interesting that DCC decoders use red and black from the track with orange and GREY to the motor! An NEM standard.

For AC supply, I tend to use blue and yellow. Possibly, brown and blue could give rise to some confusion over voltages!?

Anyway, I'll stick to my wiring standards. (sounds a bit like Rule 1, really!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 15

28 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Indeed Andy, Mrs NHN is red/green colourblind (although she can tell the difference, they're just not red and green to her, but shades of brown/improved engine 'green') but the pay-off is incredibly sharp vision, something to do with distribution of rods and cones on the retina.  She can read the number on the front of a bus before I have seen the bus!  I don't let her do wiring though. :rolleyes:

I think red/green blindness is more common in men, but MrsID has a colour problem too. It took me a long time to convince her that UPS vans are actually brown rather than black ;)

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I recall the red-green-black of the old mains wiring which has now become brown-green/yellow-blue.

I have always seen red as positive and black as negative (as, it seems, do a majority of electrical suppliers! Ever looked under the bonnet of your car?) and wire red-and-black-to-the-track with red on the right of the direction of travel on the principal line.

It is interesting that DCC decoders use red and black from the track with orange and GREY to the motor! An NEM standard.

For AC supply, I tend to use blue and yellow. Possibly, brown and blue could give rise to some confusion over voltages!?

Anyway, I'll stick to my wiring standards. (sounds a bit like Rule 1, really!)

Yep it was just what I standardised on many years ago. Some friends have continued with the same but some now use other colours.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Yep it was just what I standardised on many years ago. Some friends have continued with the same but some now use other colours.

For the last few layouts I've wired for others, I've even stapled a colour-coded wiring diagram to the underside of the baseboard.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I just use whatever is in the wires box...

As long as the end points are identified, what the colour cable cover is inbetween is (to me) not a concern.

Agree and, having apprenticed in the aircraft industry, am aware that all wires are PTFE pink with ident tags at each end.

Heck, we're talking layout baseboards; I can't be doing with cable ident tags so i'll use colours which also indicate their function!

• Like 14

34 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Spent a good day at Fareham MRC's Railex, passing the time with PaulRhB and others.

Discovered that a charter train was in the Bognor area so came back to see:

Looks as if the loco could use a trip through the washer:excl:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Looks as if the loco could use a trip through the washer:excl:

Brian.

It's a terrible and very dreary colour scheme (I daren't call it a livery) in my opinion.  But then maybe West Coast are happy to go unnoticed in view of their past record, or hope it will tone nicely with the rust?

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2019 at 23:00, JohnDMJ said:

I only use red and black for the track supply. Points have other distinct colours.

And green for frog wiring.

After all (most) frogs are green.................

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3