The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Sorting through a few things today I came across a fold up trolley for carrying suitcases. It must have belonged to my parents so its at least 30 years old. It will come in useful for moving layouts etc. Here's a word for you Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliophobia. HH needn't worry as its not a fear of hippos. 

No takers yet?

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

We set off at just after 9am to join what looked like most of the over 65 population of Benfleet going for flu jabs. We then went to the shops. I went into the chemist to get Aditi some more micropore tape and sterile dressings (her scald injury is healing nicely). There was a queue at the pharmacy of people wanting flu jabs who didn’t want to queue at the doctors. 
 It is quite a pleasant morning here.

Have a good day. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Dry and overcast 

Up early to get on with household chores most of them done now just a clean duvet cover and other bits to go back on the bed once its had a good airing.

I've been invited out for a curry tonight I hate the stuff they turnout around here just a load of hot mush and me with 11 women I don't think so I've no ear defenders.

Off to the shops to gets some bits & pieces and a couple of reading books the library is empty now.

Enjoy you day :superman:H.Appy-shopa 

:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Big decision time. I got the post and there was October's Modern Railways. They screwed up last month and September's is en route as well.do I

A) Read the October one today or

B) wait till the September  one arrives and read them in sequence.  

Answers on a postcard please.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Big day out yesterday! I went to the post office to mail some items MrsID sold on E-wotsit.

As I was leaving town I saw a really strange helicopter taking off. I'm pretty sure it was a K-MAX of some sort. It might have been delivering a big tree for the upcoming festivities but or maybe just a roof-top A/C unit as there is also a lot of construction in town at the moment.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Big decision time. I got the post and there was October's Modern Railways. They screwed up last month and September's is en route as well.do I

A) Read the October one today or

B) wait till the September  one arrives and read them in sequence.  

Answers on a postcard please.

Jamie

I'd read the October one now and the September one later. Then I'd read October one again because, by then, I'd have forgotten most of it from the previous reading.

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I only use red and black for the track supply. Points have other distinct colours.

The red-green-black is NOT unique to Peco.

Besides that, Steve is the editor of a Peco publication; he may or may NOT represent the technical side of their operation.

You wouldn't want to connect black wires to track on my layouts. That's 16 V ac. I use red and blue for track feeds / common since my first exhibition layout back in 1980.

Evening from A worm on way home from the Cross after sampling old and new LNER services to and from Peterborough. Luckily we are in the rear first class on the GW Worm as they are declassified in the rear of each train. Not many know that but we rarely use it but enough fo during the peak hours so often full by the time they reach our station. Better than standard class ironing boards

Had a great day Sampling various ales in Oakham, Stamford and Peterborough

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Took two hours to go the 35 miles from my friends place in South Benfleet to the I&WE showcase in Becontree Heath. The reason for the delay was they are replacing the bridges over the A13 at the Orsett Cock (up) forcing the traffic to go up the slip roads and down the other side, in single file. The traffic queues commenced at Stanford-le-Hope, about two miles before the roadworks. Coming back I used the A12/A127 which apart from the usual heavy traffic around Romford was far better.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

You need to watch your step with black wires here. Could well be 120V 60Hz.

I seem to remember that the UK dumped red for live, green for earth because red/green colour blindness is fairly common. I don't like driving in Boston for that reason. A lot of the traffic lights are (were?) strung from cables above the road and they are horizontal rather than vertical. Mind you, drivers in Boston pretty much ignore traffic lights so it might not make a lot of difference.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliophobia

10 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

No takers yet?

I have no idea what that means.

Now, "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" on the other hand ...

Sorry Phil Google suggested "did you mean"? It took me ages to find the spelling difference.

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl, 

Knackered am I. 

Feet hurt.. A lot. 

By combination of going to and from Aylsham I covered yesterday's route home mostly twice. Absolutely no sign of the of the trailer upper door. 

The show went well, we had queues at the door at opening time,  the actual numbers we won't know for a few days as those coming via the BVR aren't issued at the door tickets. It seemed well attended till the last hour. 

I got conned into doing a spell on a layout during the owners lunch... It was a shunting layout with three link couplings ....... arrrgghhhh... 

Two incidents, our chairman while operating our layout , stepped backward catching a chair and fell over hitting his side on the way down.  He recovered but very bruised.  Not good he's well into his 80s

At final packing up time a silver ring was found on the entrance hall floor , this was passed to the secretary , who after a general discussion walked across the room to speak to the lady with the trader and exhibitor list.  He said to her "can you put out an email to all in the list we've found a silver ring,"  where upon the club member standing alongside side looked down at his hands and said... 

It's mine.... 

BBC  radio Norfolk turned up and wandered around interviewing traders and exhibitors... 

I've had the turkey dinner,  SWMBO made during the day.  I suspect an eyelid inspection is about to occur. 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

You wouldn't want to connect black wires to track on my layouts. That's 16 V ac. I use red and blue for track feeds / common since my first exhibition layout back in 1980.

My track feeds are orange and green. These were the first two reels thatI picked up when wiring Long Preston. Black comes in pairs and feeds volts to tortoises.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

Am happy to report that the "bricked" laptop is now "unbricked". Apparently it was in the middle of some sort of update when I shut it down and it was in a confused state. The tech support counter at a local computer store frightened it back into action. (I swear I had tried exactly what he did.) It's a shame that these battery powered devices can't be unplugged. (The battery on this machine is integral. Pulling the battery requires unscrewing the case - 10 mini screws.)

When it initially booted it complained about needing a network to finish whatever it was that it was trying to do without first telling me.

All this "back door" / "phone home" crap makes for very unreliable operation - not to mention the built-in cameras and microphones and their privacy / "big brother" / espionage implications depending on where your equipment comes from and where the software you use comes from.

I don't invest in Mr. Bezos' eavesdropping devices, but even my cable TV remote control has a microphone. Like the mobile 'phone or the laptop, whether it is on without first pressing the button, who can say?

"Smith! 6079, Smith W.! Yes, you! You've not completed your system update this morning. You can do better than that. You're not trying. ... That's better Comrade!"

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13