The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Most of the ones removed did not date from the civil war period but were put up in the early 20th century by organisations who were not exactly pro equal rights.

Its doubtful if they ever will be!

Has there been any more info on the B17 crash?  The NTSB are usually quick to investigate!

Brian

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Umpires AGM attended..boring!!!

Caught KJT winning her gold medal. Well done!!

Mugadecaff drunk..now time for some eye

Lid inspection.

Goodnight all!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

As it happens I am a CEng MIET having never bothered to become a Eur Ing. 

I always have a tussle with British Gas about their use of the title "engineer" ....they don't get the idea of chartered engineers.

But standards are dropping. In the days of the CEGB and the National Grid only Chartered Engineers could sign off High Voltage designs...not anymore!!

Baz

I'm probably wrong (as usual) but I suspect it's more to do with what you do with your qualifications than anything else.

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Most of the ones removed did not date from the civil war period but were put up in the early 20th century by organisations who were not exactly pro equal rights.

No, they were racists, pure and simple.

Had we understood just how entrenched racism was in the US we probably would not have come here, but we're too old to go back now. On the other hand I'm old enough to realize that my days are numbered. Who knows what I might do?

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Partyyyyyy!

Odd day at work, turned out busier than it 'felt'.  Much amusement this afternoon due to 'work Jane' and a Yootoob link - not for polite company so no link here!  'Ernest the Engine', if not easily offended.

The Fat Cont, the Fat Cont, the Fat Controller..............."

Said Ernest, who had a very bad stammer.

Prep for Wigan Ex nearly done.

Layout already loaded in van - stock to be loaded tomorrow.

Hoping to do a POETWEx.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

My laptop which I fired up but a week ago "bricked" this morning (there is no screen activity on opening it or messing with the power button).

I so despise having to do my own IT work. It's a good living for some. In this case I haven't a clue how to proceed. (Am posting from my 'phone.)

Returned from the coast around lunchtime after pleasant enough weather this morning, including some sunshine early. After a post-breakfast stroll on the beach I made it back to the hotel right before it started to rain.

Weather crossing the coast range was truly miserable. The rain came along with my ride home. Roads were dry when I arrived at home, but the rain started before I could unload the car.

All tolled I think I got the better of the weather forecast while at the coast. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

15 hours ago, The Lurker said:

It's nice to see pictures of Pacific City. I wanted to stop there for lunch non our drive south but the place seemed rammed and we couldn't see any easy parking.

That's the new normal for the summer. It wasn't always so.

Plenty of parking this morning (a rainy October Thursday) - just a handful of cars including the surfers' vans (and/or #Vanlife Instagrammers) fronting the beach.

Plenty of parking on the beach too - if you have 4WD and the ability to re-inflate tyres.

I'd share a picture but can't post from here - my 'phone images are too big.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning one and all.  It looks like we could have a reasonable day. Beth is still asleep but the nurse will be here soon. The builder will also arrive shortly.  

Peace and quiet has descended as our house guests have left.  We had a good evening at a quiz though the conversation to my right wasn't the best. Two ladies of a certain age discussing various tests that they are entitled to in great and gory detail. TMI.  We did come home with a bottle of fizzy alcoholic stuff.  Today will hopefully be fairly restful.  I'm off now to start my breakfast,  then off to feed the chickens that we're looking after for a few days.

And to the observant ones, yes I do seem to miss n's when using the tablet. Fat finger syndrome.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Happy POTS day! (Yes, I know it should be poEts day, but my lot don't understand the concept of Early!)

8 hours ago, Barry O said:

As it happens I am a CEng MIET having never bothered to become a Eur Ing. 

I always have a tussle with British Gas about their use of the title "engineer" ....they don't get the idea of chartered engineers.

But standards are dropping. In the days of the CEGB and the National Grid only Chartered Engineers could sign off High Voltage designs...not anymore!!

Baz

I never even got as far as CEng and remained AMIMechE throughout my Engineering career. I have now relinquished that as, since 2002, my career has taken a few different paths. However, with my background in Control Systems, I felt it appropriate to include the BSc (Hons) bit in my current works email signature although it missed my business cards.

To put a perspective in here, medical equipment used by doctors and surgeons is usually designed by Engineers!

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Looks like we had some rain earlier but currently blue sky and a bit of sunshine. Cloud and some rain to come later.

Enjoyed the athletics last night, a great effort by KJT and it was lovely to see her smile. That doesn't happen often.

A couple of domestic tasks to do, some parcels are due and some more (revised) track planning needed. I think my biggest problem is going to be laying the track across the entrance flap, not done that before.

I am being summoned, she probably needs help with something.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn’t raining or windy here.  
I couldn’t have qualified as an engineer, I could never file pieces of mild steel accurately, so my engineering studies stopped at O level. 
I don’t know what we are doing today. Aditi is hoping a parcel will arrive, she is off to stay with her Mum for a couple of weeks from Sunday and has ordered some items to wear. Not sure why, perhaps they were in a sale. 
Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 19