The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

https://gizmodo.com/the-guy-who-invented-those-annoying-password-rules-now-1797643987

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(United_Kingdom) demonstrates that the more numbers required to match yields higher odds.

Characters, bethey 1234!"$£abcABC are, to the computer, just numbers; what the characters are (to us) is irrelevant. Based on the ASCII character set of 256 characters, there were 256 single character passwords, 256 x 256 (65536) two character passwords, 65536 x 256 (16777216) three character passwords and so on.

In short, minimum length restrictions on passwords is more secure than diversity of character use.s)

ASCII only has 94 printable characters.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, 81C said:

Don't have a flu jab it always made me ill idiot quack said it had no live cultures in it, I said what as that got to do with a flu jab making me ill, bloody thicko.

I think that they are a bit better than they used to be. When I first started taking them, I would be somewhat ill for several days. Don't get that any more.

I do agree with Jamie's nurse that it is too early now. If you have it now, it won't be effective against any flu viruses that are around next March. I picked up some sort of flu-like virus in March. Was very ill with it then and have since had two months of pleurisy which is still not clear now.

• Friendly/supportive 17

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

It was 21st May when we got 6" of unseasonably late snow in Cheyenne. 

That might have been the time I was able to ski at Lookout Pass on the Idaho/Montana border on Memorial Day.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Pleasant sur le rock.  Mrs NHN out to Pilates first thing, then IAM Motorcycling training, then we rode the bikes out to Laxey for lunch.  It was....sunny!

Mudelling this afternoon, last new trackbed and track down, all done bar the fiddleomentation yards now.  Did some wiring, frog juicers etc (no frogs hurt) and shuffled a few of those unmentionables around.  It all worked, amazingly.  New Heljan 05 not chipped yet so it is still untried.  Looks nice though.

Smartening up to go out for dinner now with Jayne, a much delayed meal from weeks ago, we can't recall what it was to celebrate now. No tartan will be worn, although there is a tartan with my surname as dad was a Jock.  I used to have a kilt in the dress version of the tartan at one time, it didn't make it to here when we moved 18 years go or so.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

25 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Yup. Seven bits. Take away 32 control characters, minus Space and Delete.

But most printers could cope with the eighth bit! I forget how many times I've hit ALT 240!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Had a good morning at the mini exhibition. Quite a good variety of layouts and a few traders and societies there. I managed to find a bargain on a trade stall, an Oxford Rail rail mounted gun for £40! I also purchased a few model buildings and vehicles. When I collected my friend we noticed that his next door but one (new) neighbours had set up a stall on their drive selling home made cakes and drinks on behalf of McMillan Cancer Relief. When we returned from the show we partook of the cakes. I had a really delicous banana cake but I don't think it done my BG any good.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Busy today what with 3 rugby matches to watch (I thought Japan were great) and three taxi jobs to fit in along with catching up on some recorded TV.

Still no Shed visiting and no chance tomorrow as it is Chris's birthday and we are spending the day celebrating with the family.

Flu jabs here in the past couple of years have been on Saturday mornings in October at a walk in clinic at our doctor's. The longest I've had to wait is about 15 minutes.

Currently testing a not bad Aussie Shiraz. I might test it some more shortly.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, AndyID said:

We're expecting a significant weather event over the weekend. "Should" only be a lot of wind and rain at our elevation (2,000 feet) but snow is forecast above 3,000 feet. Slightly further East they are talking about four feet of snow in Western Montana. We've never experienced anything like this so early in the year. We've been here for 24 years. Hope it's not a new trend.

We're expecting some snow above 3,000' in the Cascades.  It started last night at the ski resort on Mount Hood. Here it shouldn't have too much impact, except for people trying to cross the mountains today.

The weather forecasters have been hyping this first appreciable mountain snow all week. Locally it is nothing like the blizzard forecast for Montana. I was wondering how much the blizzard would impact you - the weather maps all showed northern Idaho on the fringe. 

We had unusually hot weather early in the Spring but ended up with a very mild summer. We've had an unusually wet Autumn so far but mountain snow at this time of year is not unusual. It feels like these weather events don't constitute a particular pattern - other than increased "randomness" in the weather.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

15 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Characters, bethey 1234!"$£abcABC are, to the computer, just numbers; what the characters are (to us) is irrelevant. Based on the ASCII character set of 256 characters, there were 256 single character passwords, 256 x 256 (65536) two character passwords, 65536 x 256 (16777216) three character passwords and so on.

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

ASCII only has 94 printable characters.

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

ASCII 0 I can understand, ASCII 32, I can understand!

https://www.rapidtables.com/code/text/ascii-table.html

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Yup. Seven bits. Take away 32 control characters, minus Space and Delete.

Bit of a semantic conversation but Andy is correct. ASCII has 95 printable characters if you count Space, 94 if you don't.

Wikipedia:

Codes 20hex to 7Ehex, known as the printable characters, represent letters, digits, punctuation marks, and a few miscellaneous symbols. There are 95 printable characters in total.

"Extended ASCII" and "Unicode" are perhaps more relevant to the password conversation than pure "ASCII". For example, the "£" character does not technically exist in ASCII but does in ISO646. Extended ASCII uses eight bits.

Either way, the argument that longer passwords impart more password security, rather than non-alphabetic characters, holds.

LEGO's latest minifig series contains a figure called "programmer". ASCII fans can decipher her tee shirt.

programmer.PNG.166f54c89f1a0e1c76bd3e0c33f191c3.PNG

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Day off tomorrow.

Planned golf comp has been cancelled due to excessive wetness underfoot.

Therefore a lie-in and mudelling beckon (unless Mrs NB comes up with a cunning plan - which is unlikely as she's at work at 7am......)

Then an unplanned hockey away game in Solihull may be on the cards for an evening jaunt with Junior NB.

It's now time for a late tea.

Catch up later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

LEGO's latest minifig series contains a figure called "programmer". ASCII fans can decipher her tee shirt.

programmer.PNG.166f54c89f1a0e1c76bd3e0c33f191c3.PNG

Just found a way around the rude word filter.

01100011 01101111 01100011 01101011 00100001

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Still sufferin' from the common cold.  Not quite as bad as last night but do need to get some proper sleep time.  As soon as it disappears we are off to get our flu shots at the local pharmacy, or are they still chemists shops?

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,  inner Temple somewhere, 

8.5 hours it took, which was surprisingly good,  now lying on the bed trying to straighten my back after all that time in one position. Even though we got here 6 hours ago. 

Stop at Tesco Sleaford as replacement for ex little chef on the bypass was successful. 

Doncaster... Heavy rain

North of Leeds 20miles of two narrow lanes each side at 50mph,  absolutely not a single thing being done to the roads.

We didn't stop for the second off motorway fuel excursion  ( catterick)  as Ben was snoring.... 

A66, 6 wippets running down the road towards us/ past us,  luckily we had just pulled out of the petrol station and were going slowly,  no sign of anyone looking for them. 

The petrol station BP is 8 miles short of penrith it cost 128.9 a litre.  BP at southwaite services... 149.9 a litre...... 

Took the cross country route near lanark,  very little traffic. 

Ben "I'm coming with you" collie very well behaved on the trip, once we were moving he curled up and went to sleep in his cage.. 

Ben is being spoilt by my Dad... 

Flu jabs,  we were contacted by the company email during  the week, do we want the flu jab,  I suspect since the company is paying there will be no problem for the doc to supply us with the jab, in a couple of weeks time. 

Plans for tomorrow,  walk Ben,  have breakfast,  sit around do nothing,  go down to the seashore, walk Ben.  Come back via a big orange shed,  with items to repair hole in plasterboard wall made by my mum when she fell over. Fill Hole in wall. Watch TV,   Later walk Ben... 

Time too. Rest and recover 

PS I'm. Much too knackered to go translating ASCII I was taught 40+ years ago... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3