The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening, well you may know it's Red Squirrel week this week...………………………….no neither did I and I'm supposedly one of the registered assistants, email? nope . However of far greater importance it's 50 years since Captain America rode across the silver screen with Jack Nicholson on the pillion wearing a football players hat in his first big part in a movie. I immediately went home and started taking a perfectly good BSA to bits and converted it into a chopper(no not a Raleigh one) and rode off into the sunset(admittedly rural Leicestershire wasn't quite the same as the badlands of the USA) searching for something...…………………….still have the VHS and the soundtrack album for the movie somewhere. During the next couple of years I managed to see most of the artists who played on the soundtrack, just been reminded by watching the Old Grey Whistle Test and Steppenwolf were playing Born to be Wild, happy days man...……….

G'night all

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 19

41 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Wheeltappers is visible and available to mobile users.  That is how I normally access any part of RMweb.

Thanks Rick. I thought I was logged in. I may not have been.

Ever since the switch to 'strong passwords' I have struggled to remember the password I chose for RMweb. I'm sure I chose one that I thought I would remember but failed to remember it. I recently tried to log in with a laptop previously unexposed to RMweb and had to reset my password, having forgotten my password again. My password is now written down (slightly encoded, and not via a sticky note on the screen!)

I've been untangling my old business email from personal accounts for several weeks now. One is advised to make passwords different for each account - in case one system has a data breach. In a business context, password repository software was recommended to me to make sure all the different passwords are each "remembered". The idea of having an electronic password safe stored along with all one's data feels daft to me. (It isn't but it feels that way.)

Today, conventional wisdom holds that the "strong password" rules for ~12 character passwords are bunkum, irrespective of how many numerals, capitals and special characters are employed. What is really effective is very long passwords even if they contain regular words.

So elephantslikecoolingmudbaths is far more effective than 1Lmn0p5!. The longer the password, the exponentially longer it takes for a software program to crack it.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Its been a long, but very enjoyable day, dinner at Rowley's in Baslow followed by a short walk around the Baslow itself, it didn’t take long! The weather has thrown everything at us today, rain, sun, rain, sun etc. Luckily we managed to dodge the rain, most of the time. Then it was on to Beeley for tea, really great food and good service, although to be fair, we’ve never been let down there before. 

Time for bed, goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you access different computer systems from your home pc, it makes sense to use real sticky notes to record the passwords - it is very unlikely anyone is going to break into your house and use your pc to access stuff.

For work's computing,  a password safe is an excellent solution.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Tartan..........Having lived and worked in Scotland.......and played in 2 pipe bands I have no excuse any more for 'not getting it right'.

It's surprising how often I see the wrong hose, or ghillie brogues etc......

Does that make me a tartan counter? Sporran spotter? Ghillie brogue gricer?

As usual.....Answers on a post card to.....

I have a book called The Tartan Spotter's Guide.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Thanks Rick. I thought I was logged in. I may not have been.

Ever since the switch to 'strong passwords' I have struggled to remember the password I chose for RMweb. I'm sure I chose one that I thought I would remember but failed to remember it. I recently tried to log in with a laptop previously unexposed to RMweb and had to reset my password, having forgotten my password again. My password is now written down (slightly encoded, and not via a sticky note on the screen!)

I've been untangling my old business email from personal accounts for several weeks now. One is advised to make passwords different for each account - in case one system has a data breach. In a business context, password repository software was recommended to me to make sure all the different passwords are each "remembered". The idea of having an electronic password safe stored along with all one's data feels daft to me. (It isn't but it feels that way.)

Today, conventional wisdom holds that the "strong password" rules for ~12 character passwords are bunkum, irrespective of how many numerals, capitals and special characters are employed. What is really effective is very long passwords even if they contain regular words.

So elephantslikecoolingmudbaths is far more effective than 1Lmn0p5!. The longer the password, the exponentially longer it takes for a software program to crack it.

https://gizmodo.com/the-guy-who-invented-those-annoying-password-rules-now-1797643987

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(United_Kingdom) demonstrates that the more numbers required to match yields higher odds.

Characters, bethey 1234!"$£abcABC are, to the computer, just numbers; what the characters are (to us) is irrelevant. Based on the ASCII character set of 256 characters, there were 256 single character passwords, 256 x 256 (65536) two character passwords, 65536 x 256 (16777216) three character passwords and so on.

In short, minimum length restrictions on passwords is more secure than diversity of character use.s)

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl. Just having a Muggacoffee before Ben "I'm coming with you in the car"'s patrol. 

We appear to be heading north through a gap in the weather. 

I use a formula for non financial web sites,  another formula for any site that uses money IE amazon.  Trackshack etc.  And another formula for bank accounts. You would need to Know several sites codes to crack the formula  but the formulas are easy to remember. 

Northerly gales, spring tides, there could be flooding  ..

Anyway

time to patrol.. 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

2 things. Way back in my childhood my grandfather (station porter at Carshalton for the LBSCR, SR and BR) told me the story of the LBSC overhead electrification. His take was that after two deaths of firemen who were on their tenders using the water tower at Sutton the system was abandoned - now I know it was a financial decision to go over to the LSWR system.

If you would like to see some of the photo work I've been doing it's on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96815759@N06/

richardsmith5

and Instagram

@smudgesmith

Constructive criticism always welcome.

Lovely photographs Smiffy. The Black and White ones catch the mood.

Baz

• Agree 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, trisonic said:

Potti in Georgia has twined with the town of Plop in the former Yugoslavia (Yes - I cannot remember which modern state the town is part of)

Apparently I can wear Hepburn tartan - but should I?

Best, Pete.

Pete

If you can wear a tartan please do? Or have a  guitar painted in the Tartan....

Para 1 is funny but I can't rate it seperately.

Have a good day

Baz

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Mooring awl. Just having a Muggacoffee before Ben "I'm coming with you in the car"'s patrol. 

We appear to be heading north through a gap in the weather. 

I use a formula for non financial web sites,  another formula for any site that uses money IE amazon.  Trackshack etc.  And another formula for bank accounts. You would need to Know several sites codes to crack the formula  but the formulas are easy to remember. 

Northerly gales, spring tides, there could be flooding  ..

Anyway

time to patrol.. 

Hope the trip goes well

Baz

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Chuckinitdarn here.

Off for my flu jab first thing then to a Macmillan Coffee morning across the road.

Slept well but need a bit more eyelid inspection so TTFN

Baz

• Like 17

5 hours ago, trisonic said:

Potti in Georgia has twined with the town of Plop in the former Yugoslavia (Yes - I cannot remember which modern state the town is part of)

Apparently I can wear Hepburn tartan - but should I?

Best, Pete.

Go for it. They'll certainly see you coming ;)

My kilt is the more subdued Gunn tartan. Purchased in the "Heart of the Highlands" - Paisley.

• Like 14
  • Funny 2