The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

To get the best results you might try to find a source of newly roasted beans. Most of the roasted beans we get in the supermarkets here have been hanging around for a long time and they are not very good.

We have a bean to cup machine. When we first had it we tried all sorts of (not the ones that have been through civet cats though) roasted beans. We now just buy the same brand consistently, buying tins of it when on offer! 

I don’t recall ever seeing green beans locally though it sounds an interesting thing to try.

Tony

• Like 18

32 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t recall ever seeing green beans locally though it sounds an interesting thing to try.

They're not available here either. I get them from an outfit in California. It helps that green beans have a long shelf life.

• Informative/Useful 12

49 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

9 minutes ago, AndyID said:

They're not available here either. I get them from an outfit in California. It helps that green beans have a long shelf life.

A colleague who lives in British Columbia presented me with his personal Vienna roast a couple of weeks ago. I am enjoying it.

I'm not sure where he procures his green coffee beans.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

They seem to be available from various online sources here. I suspect if a “celebrity” chef included home roasted beans on a TV programme they would appear very quickly. Instead of trying it myself I may try to persuade Aditi’s sister’s husband to take it up. He has phases of really getting keen on some food or drink product. At present it is fermentation. Not to make alcoholic beverages but things based on tea or dairy products. There are jugs containing bubbly liquids everywhere. Aditi’s sister seems very tolerant of it all. 

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I must go back to Beamish. Great place to visit. Last time I went I did a bit of clippie mat work for the museum "demonstrator" ..she was well unimpressed!

They do talk strange though.. not like us pit yacker lads from the coast!:D

Time for some sleep..goodnight all!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had a very enjoyable evening at SEERS. Members slide and film show starting off with Leipzig trams. The narrator visited the city in January this year and included in his pics the last Tatras in service as wellas the very latest stock. Of particular interest to me was that in the local rail terminus one platform is used for storing museum stock. There was a steam locomotive, type unknown as it was not possible to take a photograph. An electric locomotive that appeared to date from the 1920's and best of all no less than the Flying Hamburger railcar. Hopefully Dom can fill in the details when he's next here on ER's. Earlier this evening the speaker on my computer was getting very crackly and faint but it seems to be OK now.

• Like 17

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The steam loco at Leipzig Hbf is (unless it's been changed over) a BR52  Kriegslok built in 1943  - seen here in 2003 on my 'grand tour whilst I was en-route from Dresden to Jenbach

No copper capped chimney on that then Mike.

It has a overhead electric warning flash on the smokebox door which reminded me of a question: Why did BR ban steam under the wires? Was it because of the danger to crews getting too close to the HT conductors, steam causing "flash-overs", or something else?

• Like 16

Morning All,

It is another damp morning today.  We had rain overnight and it is still showery.

Yesterday we had our annual team event - which was quite a pleasant day out. 

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

No copper capped chimney on that then Mike.

It has a overhead electric warning flash on the smokebox door which reminded me of a question: Why did BR ban steam under the wires? Was it because of the danger to crews getting too close to the HT conductors, steam causing "flash-overs", or something else?

As far as I know it was the potential for flashovers and many classes had big yellow diagonal stripes on the cab sides to remind crews that they couldn't work under the wires. Eventually some experiments were done to determine a safe distance and allowable clearances were reduced.  However  it appears that the documentation from those tests can't be found and that is causing some problems in the modern world.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12