The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all, busy old day, wet for the most part, but we've been out gadding, garden centre for a fuddle first, they used to have sales on this time of year, but not this year, usually get most of my veg seeds at half price,pah. Then had a coffee and decided to call in at another garden centre for another mooch, ended up buying lots of food for the birds for the winter and a couple of new feeders too. I think we might have foreign invaders in the district, could have grey squirrels, I am part of a team defending the resident Reds, so a trap or a rifle might be involved . No muddling today, will see what happens tomorrow, but I'm waiting for materials for making hedges from the postie, I'm at a bit of a cross roads now, I need to add more locos and I want sound, this will mean an upgrade in the DCC controller, I like the look of the digitrax, but not sure, always had gaugemaster in the old analogue days, but unsure if there's is what I need. Will have a think over the weekend.

G'night all for now.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Could be worse.

Public television in the US is broadcasting a eight-part history of Country Music. So far six episodes have been broadcast, running to about 12.5 hours of content with a (mostly) wall to wall background track.

All right for some!  PBS is usually our salvation but three weeks of Kens Burns and Country is too much!  The Civil War didn't take as long!  Did see one show though, from the thirties and forties before country became all beards and tattoos and Dolly Parton lookalikes, big hair and big whatevers.  Poldark this weekend - pity its the last series!

Brian

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

8 hours ago, brianusa said:

PBS is usually our salvation but three weeks of Kens Burns and Country is too much!  The Civil War didn't take as long! 

I generally like Ken Burns' documentaries so I am making a special effort. (I've never been a "country" fan per se.) Only one more to go now. Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings and others of the late 1970s - early 1980s, were the focus last night.

I tried to enjoy the "National Parks: America's Best Idea" but found it tedious. Magnificent scenery of course, but it did not engage me like his others did. His series on "Prohibition" (only three episodes) does not come around very often but I found particularly enlightening. "The Roosevelts" was outstanding.

"The Civil War" is nine episodes long. ;)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well today’s predicted rain never materialised, not that I’m too bothered by that fact. As I mentioned earlier, after breakfast I once again ventured down to the cellar and continued fixing the last of the skirting boards. I then filled in the fixing holes before making a start on the last stair riser. This had to wait until the flooring was down, as it’s height would be different. I’ve also made and fitted the frame for the drawer that will be fitted below the stairs. I now need to order a pair of heavy duty draw runners, then I can build and fit the drawer. 

Like yesterday, I knocked off at dinner as I needed to get changed before picking up Evie and Max from school, before going to pick up Ava. Tonight’s tea went down very well, but then again, chicken curry ALWAYS does. Once I’d taken them home, we had a quick clear up before sitting down and catching up on some recorded TV. 

Neil. Congratulations.

Pete. Nice to see you dropping in again. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to the prospective honorary grandad from Fraggle Rock - hope all goes well.

The term 'caped' is interesting because although we all used it what we had actually done was turn 'CAPE' into a verb.  The original is actually a bit more complicated than it is usually given credit for as it not only says 'the undermentioned train is cancelled' but goes in to say 'advise all concerned'. (which I suppose does make it a verb in some respects).  The codeword as a verb initiating the act of cancelling a train is in fact PINE although I think just about everybody has long used CAPE as the instruction to cancel a train rather than use the correct codeword.  All the codewords in this part of the train working section of the code book are best described as having little or no connection with anything in particulr, they are just a lot of words - perhaps plucked out of the air and intended not to be ambiguous or confused?   thus Calvin and Cicero are roughly the opposites of Pine and Cape.

Some of the words are however obvious, albeit now somewhat anachronistic to say the very least - 'Nonclere' is one (not to convey clerestory coaches). 'Slipper' is another (vehicles can now be slipped as booked) although 'Oglo' (for an out of gauge or exceptional load is probably still used  and was one we were regularly using in the 1990s.   But I bet most of the codewords which still would actually mean something are not used or understood by many people in the industry nowadays. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 16

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

All the codewords in this part of the train working section of the code book are best described as having little or no connection with anything in particulr, they are just a lot of words - perhaps plucked out of the air and intended not to be ambiguous or confused?

Mike, how far back does this code book go? Does it encompass the BR codes for rolling stock as well? Were these telegraphic codes too, or does this not go so far back where a telephonic or telex message would be used?

thanks.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Could be worse.

Public television in the US is broadcasting a eight-part history of Country Music. So far six episodes have been broadcast, running to about 12.5 hours of content with a (mostly) wall to wall background track.

This morning I woke up with "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" (by Charlie Pride) in my head. I don't know why, I'm not even sure that was on any of the shows. At least it wasn't "Jolene" (by Dolly Parton) which was playing over the closing credits last night.

Googling "Jolene" to check the spelling, the first (and presumably most popular) YouTube video reference is Miley Cyrus. I could say "what is the world coming to?", but I know I'm just getting older. I didn't know she even covered it.

Burns hasn't included Sydney Devine so I'm giving it a miss.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mike, how far back does this code book go? Does it encompass the BR codes for rolling stock as well? Were these telegraphic codes too, or does this not go so far back where a telephonic or telex message would be used?

thanks.

Definitely goes back a long way - pre-war and possibly even earlier although the codes would probably have changed a bit over the years and some were added as the years went by.  They were originally intended for use in telegrams (wires to some of us) to keep the length as short as possible (and the cost as low as possible when using GO PO telegrams).  But they were used verbally as well and they definitely got into not only the telex age but we also used them on the BR internal Micromail system (and later email of course) and we used them in notices - again all  to save time and explanations - and they were used  in box-to-box messages between signalboxes.  Thinking back to my early days in the latter half of the 1960s it wasn't at all unusual for a relatively busy parcels office to be sending or receiving two or three dozen wires every day and the same would happen at goods depots.

The BTC/BR 1958 edition has the lot in  - from standardised abbreviations for various things such as department names and place names right down to the numerous various codes for vehicle types

The single and multiple needle telegraphs which could spell words probably used them but in lots of cases - for instance on the GN mainline well into the 1960s, and probably even the early 1970s, where needle telegraphs were used for train running information a lot of that used local two or three letter codes instead of the ones in the standard code book.  But there was also a  supposedly standard code for spelling and some abbreviated words on the needle telegraphs although I don't if it was used on all Companies/BR Regions - you can in fact use that one in an email as you can get quite a lot of it using the standard keyboard symbols / and \ !

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Great to hear from Pete, and also Ian, Sherry, and Debs,

Another very poor night's sleep - about three hours by my reckoning.

30747's day off has been CAPED, so it's an early trip to take her in.  Then some jobs domestic.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 

Not much to report so far. 

I must admit I did take my phone with me to breakfast on our recent holiday. However it was to take any photos on the walk to the restaurant. We were always hoping to see whales (not in the restaurant, in the ocean)

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.  Up and about and waiting for the call to duty so breakfast is bei g consumed. The builder is due shortly then it is time for phone calls and errands. Some rugby may be watched later. I don't need to cook tonight as it's fish and chip night in Aulnay.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, but we’ve had a lot of overnight rain, which, going by the amount of rain still on the windows, I don’t think stopped all that long ago. 

Once Sheila has left for her Zumba class I will clear the hall of stuff that might impede (chair, umbrella stand Sheila’s boots etc) the delivery of our new freezer. I will also build a temporary ramp down the cellar stairs to make it easier to get the freezer down there on the delivery trolley. 

After that I will continue working on the under-stair drawer, now that I have a final size, I can cut the MDF to size and actually build the drawer. 

Enjoy whatever you’ve got planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 18