The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations NHN, I don't have any kids/grandkids but my friends young son does not have any grandparents, all had gone before he was born. I have slotted in to the role, as Jamie said, its not cheap.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Speed through that bridge, yes it is  quite common to go through at speed, if you get it right the boat squats into the water so you get more clearance. The broads are tidal, and you can get a 3 or 4 knot tide going in either direction through the hole. knowing the tides on the broads is most important..

Not only that but, from my experience of being piloted through Potter Heigham, seems to make the boat more directionally stable.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon  to most!

Major eyelid inspection undertaken this afternoon.  Something to do with her indoors making do with 6 hours sleep. Pah!

Brian for vans in the UK you have to be over 21 and younger than 70. But you can check it on line.

Now off to the railway club.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, trisonic said:

... It's called "Lorenzo". Whilst it might reach Cat. 4 level I don't expect it to reach the UK at that level Cat.1 - maybe.

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We just crossed from New York to Southampton ahead of one storm and chasing another. The last three days of the crossing had some impressive waves. While Dorian was bashing Nova Scotia we were in Quebec and didn’t feel a thing. There were still power outages and fallen trees as we visited Nova Scotia a few days later. 

Jerry, Karen and Lorenzo are all still churning around. Jerry is a weakening post-tropical cyclone around Bermuda. Karen is taking a weird left turn east of the Bahamas, but as Pete says, Lorenzo is the largest. Hopefully Melissa will be a no show.

Tony dealt with the remnants of Humberto while re-crossing the Atlantic. Imelda created heavy flooding in south east Texas - a region still dealing with Harvey-related flooding from 2017.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brianusa said:

We have relatives going to NI shortly on holiday.  Can someone confirm the age requirements to rent a car while there, please

Brian.:mellow:

Upper age limits depend on the hire company. If your relatives are not used to manual gearboxes remind them to specify auto. Last time I rented a car in Ireland I was asked if I was going to travel in NI. I wasn’t but I suspect it would have been chargeable! The reverse may apply if your relatives cross the border. All to do with insurance I believe. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Jokey text aside, it's complicated, Debs.  Charlie isn't my biological Daughter so 'my' Debs isn't technically going to be a Grandmother.....  Charlie adopted me as she doesn't have a Father of her own!  I am as proud of her achievements as if she were my own, from dyslexic girl who left school with no qualifications whatsoever to an MA and a great professional career.  Any part I played in that (the development of her professional career in probation and social work) is my reward. 

1029569165_charliexmas.jpg.dc0d535c7fa89b674b56555e17b99f94.jpg

Pretty girl!  Or can't you say that these days.:excl:

Brian.

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We just crossed from New York to Southampton ahead of one storm and chasing another. The last three days of the crossing had some impressive waves. While Dorian was bashing Nova Scotia we were in Quebec and didn’t feel a thing. There were still power outages and fallen trees as we visited Nova Scotia a few days later.   The Jersey shore  looked quite sunny as we left New York!

Thanks for the warning. 

Tony

1 hour ago, laurenceb said:

good to see you Pete

I was in Bruce country at the weekend - Asbury Park,  Stone Temple Pilots were playing at The Stone Pony's outdoor stage. We listened from the boardwalk. Tremendous weather here right now.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 18

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Thanks, now I have an earworm!

Could be worse.

Public television in the US is broadcasting a eight-part history of Country Music. So far seven episodes have been broadcast, running to about 14.5 hours of content with a (mostly) wall to wall background track.

This morning I woke up with "Kiss an Angel Good Morning" (by Charlie Pride) in my head. I don't know why, I'm not even sure that was on any of the shows. At least it wasn't "Jolene" (by Dolly Parton) which was playing over the closing credits last night.

Googling "Jolene" to check the spelling, the first (and presumably most popular) YouTube video reference is Miley Cyrus. I could say "what is the world coming to?", but I know I'm just getting older. I didn't know she even covered it.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Glad to see you back Pete, what with Olddudders, Ashcombe and Debs returning as well its getting a bit crowded. (Not that I'm complaining.) 

3 hours ago, brianusa said:

We have relatives going to NI shortly on holiday.  Can someone confirm the age requirements to rent a car while there, please

Brian.:mellow:

As has been said it can vary from company to company. Best to use the internet to shop around.

• Like 14