The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

19 hours ago, Barry O said:

Excellent news so you were saying UK didnt take on SI units but you did in Scotland?  As Q says my Science lessons were all in SI units. I started these in 1968. 

Did you  "learn" Imperial" measures in America?

Baz

I learned all the various systems in Scotland. FPS, CGS, MKS and SI.

The UK has been teaching SI in schools for something around sixty years but that wasn't my point when I said "fully embraced". That was more to do with the fact the the UK is still using miles, not that there's really anything wrong with that.

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

A dull but dry day so far, but we are forecast more rain during the day. Up a little late today,  must have needed the rest. Breakfast has now been consumed and I will venture down to the cellar to complete the fixing of the skirting boards, I will then fill all the fixing holes and have a quick tidy up before finishing for dinner.

Plans for the afternoon are a short rest before completing the school run to collect Evie and Max and then heading off to Vickie and Ian’s to pick up Ava. Then it’s back home to make tea. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Latest on Norfolk radio...

"There is an outbreak of Norovirus in Norfolk please do not attend a GPs surgery or visit at hospital if you have it.."

So if you're ill, don't seek attention from the only people that can tell you, you have norovirus?:huh:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

pissytating here since the early hours.

Another dog day he didn't like the rain yesterday when it started he pulled me back home.

not much happening as the back has kicked off  heavy doses of pain killers to combat it, an epidural is due in the next few weeks the last one has kept me pain free for 5 months and 2 weeks.

Better get on enjoy your day :superman:G.R.Umpygit  :mad:

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Persisted down last night  but dry now. Sad news is that the Heaton Park heritage tramway is closed indefinately due to the theft of their overhead wiring. A fund has been set up to replace it but that will take time. Personally I think that the scrap dealer if found in possession of said wiring should be made to pay for the reinstatement of the wiring plus compensation for loss of business. Tea has been drunk, be back later.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

A guy across the temporary room works on equipment that takes 3 man days to calibrate. He has two systems so it works out at 1.5 man days  doing them together.

But 3 days in turn round time, The company  guarrantees  a 5 working day turn round but that includes booking in and out....

He has five unit's in at the moment..

He's just been told there are 12 units coming in on Friday...

Happy he is not...

• Friendly/supportive 17

Greetings all from LBG where the sun is showing its face through the clouds at the moment.

Work continues to be very busy - interruptions upon interruptions- and I am suffering because spreadsheet king has left and his successor and I cannot make all of them work properly, even with his handover instructions.

We're being "radical". Does the macro save any time when you take into account the extra work it forces you to do and to maintain it when the underlying database info changes? If not, the macro goes. If so, can it be simplified?

We're also building an internal system to try to make us MTD proof going forward. The IT side of that works pretty well; it's just the mapping from the accounting systems that needs to be done by the finance teams that isn't. It's amazing how many people get by with Saly* rather than understanding what it is they are doing and what the outputs are.

Have a good day all

* Same As Last Year

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

. Crabtree has burgered off to sunnier climes. Just hope he didn't book on Thomas Cook.

Aditi’s brother had booked a holiday in Madeira during the next half term holiday. The holiday wasn’t with Thomas Cook but the flights were. They have been informed the whole package is cancelled. Aditi has suggested Raj and Emma could take the girls to Disneyland Paris using Eurostar. There has been no response...

Tony

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Norovirus outbreaks are the scourge of cruise-ships, I learned. Being required to use disinfectant gel before entering any on-board refectory, or to rejoin the vessel, was a novel experience. 

There seem (on the ships we have been in) to be crew members whose entire job seems to be wiping down any surface that could come into hand contact, door frames, handrails, lift buttons. There are even phone sanitizers (as in Hitchhikers Guide...).  I hope people are better informed now. I remember on the only cruise we went on with Matthew he commented it seemed that a lot of older male passengers did not seem to wash their hands after using the lavatory. When we went to the Canary Islands last year that Captain, as part of the safety drill, did a public hygiene speech. Some passengers seemed offended. 

Tony

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

The rain currently isn't but it is promised to do a McArthur and will return, and return, and return, over the several coming days.  It is however doing the runner beans a power of good (as well as the weeds and the jungle).  

We came across the hand gel sanitiser thing on our Hurtigruten trip and it struck us as an excellent idea in view of the way - as Ian said - norovirus can quickly get a grip (and even la grippe?) on lots of folk confined to a ship.  Oddly the passengers hailing from the USofA seemed to regard it as an unnecessary interference and didn't like queueing for their 'hand gelification'  before entering the dining room three times every day or when they had been ashore.  Presumably it is also used on the big cruise ships as some of them have none too good records when it comes to norovirus outbreaks.  I would agree entirely with Tony's views expressed above and what Matthew had observed - some passengers on the Hutrtigruten simply did not appear to understand some very basic factors when it came to personal/public hygiene.

But infections happen on land too - such as the lad collecting a free issue of compylobacter on his way back from Morocco although he probably picked it from a meal in Spain or France so care is needed everywhere.   His Austrian colleagues have now invited him to visit them again at the Graz establishment so presumably as the local beer did him no damage so he'll be off there again in a few weeks time.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But infections happen on land too

Matthew got norovirus one Christmas while staying in a ski hostel in British Columbia. He said it wasn’t very nice but the other people in his room were very kind. Many of the other inhabitants (most were from Australia)  were more interested in white powder that wasn’t frozen water. The hostel hot water failed. His two friends ended their relationship while skiing. Matthew was quite relieved to take the bus back to Calgary.  

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

There seem (on the ships we have been in) to be crew members whose entire job seems to be wiping down any surface that could come into hand contact, door frames, handrails, lift buttons. There are even phone sanitizers (as in Hitchhikers Guide...).  I hope people are better informed now. I remember on the only cruise we went on with Matthew he commented it seemed that a lot of older male passengers did not seem to wash their hands after using the lavatory. When we went to the Canary Islands last year that Captain, as part of the safety drill, did a public hygiene speech. Some passengers seemed offended. 

Tony

On our cruises hand sanitizer has been much in evidence at every entrance to dining areas. On a P&O one we did in 2007 they didn't allow passengers to serve themselves from the buffet for the first two days.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

I always carry the Gel touch wood not had a dose of the trots since.:good_mini:

When I worked for a food company I trained staff in basis hygiene you'd be amazed at the foolish attitude by some members. :punish:

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I is going to be a Grandad NHN..... :wub:

Start saving noe Neil they are very very expensive and appear to have the ability to open wallets from well before birth.  Congratulations.  Our little bundle of joy will be here in about a fortnight.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3