The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I am now confused.com. Eye pressure test this morning said "high" one this afternoon says "low!"

Pah!

still chuckinitdarn but having had a mugadecaf I may now return to some work on items which scale to 4mm being representative of 1 foot.  

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

13 hours ago, AndyID said:

Maybe it's because of snow-fall. They are saying we might get some later this week, ...

11 hours ago, pH said:

We're taking visitors up to Nelson, BC later this week. The weather looked fine for all-season tires, but the forecast for one of the passes is now showing snow on Sunday when we're coming back. ...

Given the frequency of precipitation since the Labor Day weekend at the start of September, I'm not too surprised by that. We did have a lovely sunny day on Saturday, but that's the only truly "nice" day I can remember for a while. A "chance of showers" was forecast for this morning. Well before dawn, the blinds started clattering with a front moving in and sure enough when I eventually got out of bed, everything was damp and soggy, even though the rain had stopped. Now it's just a dreary, heavy overcast.

Locally, snow levels on the weekend are forecast to drop to 3,000'.

Happy birthday to the birthday boys, John and Ian.

• Like 18

Evening from a soggy and foggy NE Scotland, we did venture out briefly, SWMBO to nurse drac for routine bloods then shops, put lotto on and home for soup and an afternoons muddling. Much laying of grass, quite therapeutic, added some brambles and fixed, stink of hair spray now!!.

Best wishes to the Birthday boys

• Like 15

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring again,

Down at the moorings weekly hire boat users are supposed to get a 20 minute -half hour instruction on the boat and the broads rules. Sadly a great many don't pay attention. On the dashboard of every hire boat (unless the previous hirer has nicked it) is a screwed on plate with the boats  air draft on it. These often actually add 6 inches to  the height of the boat:D.  When they book, hirers are also often directed to boat hire videos available on the net.

As you approach each bridge there is a height board on the right hand side showing todays clearance. For your delectation the picture  is the lowest normallly navigable bridge that at Potter Heigham.

Some boat yard owners like Len Funnell who owns the boat seen yesterday, have deliberately chosen to build their boats much taller than Wroxham and Potter bridges, as these two medieval bridges are the most likely to cause damage. However that limits you, so you don't see the most pretty parts of the broads above those bridges. Also it means if you wish to see the southern broads then getting your timing right for low tide at the  Great Yarmouth bridge would be essential, and the current there is up to 4 or 5 knots..

If you any of you choose to visit the broads I'd advise hiring a "bathtub" boat that can get under all the bridges, most of the time.. (picture 2). That boat is owned by the Richardson family, who are the biggest hirer on the broads and did take some bookings via.. Thomas Cook...

Time I went to the lab... it's raining outside

ricb-bh1358_ex116[1].jpg

1007606[1].jpg

Is a local pilot still required for Potter Heigham?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Debs. said:

Average it out; you're fine! :mocking_mini:

Todays the day I see the eye doc about my YAG procedure and tomorrow for a follow up.  Always used to go once or twice a year but I've already seen him three times so far!  I shall soon have the finest eyesight for one my age!:biggrin_mini:  Although there wasn't a lot wrong before!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 19

Evening from the Berlin branch of ER,

Easy journey from Prague, the hotel is part of Ostbahnhof (simples) so we've travelled U 1- 4 and some Straßenbahn (including an extension into West Berlin).  Chris has gone to bed, Bill will potter out for a final beer.  Some Stadtbahn tomorrow morning, then home.

Guys, you realise that (a) Chris forgot to bring his RMWeb password, (b) logging into a strange PC is at the limits of Bill's competence and (c) German#s use the qwertz keyboard.

Bill

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Guys, you realise that (a) Chris forgot to bring his RMWeb password, (b) logging into a strange PC is at the limits of Bill's competence and (c) German#s use the qwertz keyboard.

Didn’t try his mobile phone to log in then?

• Funny 15

22 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Evening from the Berlin branch of ER,

Easy journey from Prague, the hotel is part of Ostbahnhof (simples) so we've travelled U 1- 4 and some Straßenbahn (including an extension into West Berlin).  Chris has gone to bed, Bill will potter out for a final beer.  Some Stadtbahn tomorrow morning, then home.

Bill

16 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Didn’t try his mobile phone to log in then?

Chris and technology are immiscible! Bit like oil and water. Bill, I commend you on 'mastering' the qwertz keyboard; I only have qwerty and azerty variants both at home and work! (I have used the qwertz before, though!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

Is a local pilot still required for Potter Heigham?

For hire boats a pilot is required for both Potter heigham and Wroxham bridges. However quite regularly some idiot tries it without the pilot. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

For hire boats a pilot is required for both Potter heigham and Wroxham bridges. However quite regularly some idiot tries it without the pilot. 

Do boats normally go at that speed (or apparent speed) approaching bridges on the Broads? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 3

If it's the same pilot, ask him about the family that turned up with a Saker Falcon on board, he was telling folk the tale years later and yes it was me and my family, Richardson's generously allowed us to bring my falcon as getting a neighbour to feed one whilst we were away wasn't an option, they were all scared lol. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t done much today. I went next door to do a few minor tasks for our neighbours who went away for a week but phoned yesterday to say they would be away longer. Mainly I watered houseplants and investigated the fridge for anything that wasn’t going to last. 

I did go down to the shops. I hadn’t driven my car since the battery was replaced and I wanted to set up everything as I liked it. Some settings seem to be stored in volatile memory while others are not. I almost needed the manual but just about managed without.  

Dentist tomorrow. Just a check up.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I think I spoke too soon this morning when I said it wasn’t raining, within a few minutes of my first post, it started and didn’t stop until about 5 o’clock this evening. Although we’ve had a lot of rain, it hasn’t been very heavy, just constant. There were lots of big puddles about, but thankfully no floods, but the bottom of our road wasn’t far off, it had water covering over 60% of its width!

It’s been a very busy day here at BSW towers. This morning I deferred the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix until this evening, so I could carry on working in the cellar. I managed to fit the architrave and 90% of the skirting boards before dinner. I only have 2 small pieces to fit, but they both need profiling for the corner joint, so I’ll do them tomorrow, as I knocked off for the day at dinner time. 

Evie has requested chicken curry for tomorrow nights tea, so after dinner I made a large batch (3 litres) of curry sauce. So that’s some for tomorrow nights tea, the rest is now in the freezer. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Quite good but does it beat "Welshman in 12-pint cider-binge goat death ride"?

That was over 13 years ago and was probably on par for the Swansea area.

Of course, the goat might not have been killed if it had been wearing a seatbelt.

Just lucky it didn't happen in the Maesglas tunnel, otherwise conspiracy theorists would have had a field day.

• Like 9
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I was expecting hoping that one of the idiots would fall in. Goodnight all.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3