The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all, with rain forecast for the next few days I decided the "G" word was in order, so after watching the England rugby game I attacked a holly tree and surrounding hedge with loppers and shears, as it's Sunday I thought I'd give the chain saw a rest until a week day lol. My 6 packets of grass arrived in the post yesterday, so once the precipitation starts, so will some muddling.

G'night all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The work in the cellar today went as well as I’d hoped it would, I managed to get the floor cleaned of paint drips, splashes etc. Actually it wasn’t that bad, I’m not a messy painter, but no matter how careful you are, there will always be the odd drip or two, especially in the hard to reach areas, as was the case under the stairs. Once I’d done that, I swept and then vacuumed the floor before measuring and cutting the waterproof membrane. As the sheet I had was 3m x 4m and the room is only 3.6m x 1.7m and after a bit of trimming of one of the stair stringers, I was able to fit it in one piece! I then made a start on laying the cork underlay and this was almost completed when I was called upstairs for dinner. 

After dinner, I completed laying the cork underlay and then made a start on putting the flooring down. The instructions state to work from the left to the right, so I started in the area at the bottom of the stairs and fitted the contents of one box and made a start on a second before I knocked off for the day. Hopefully, I’ll get most, if not all of it in tomorrow, after which I can start fitting the architrave and skirting boards.

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Popped into town this afternoon, quite busy but theres a lot of rebuilding going on. 

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Further to my last, I have now inspected the hi-bar wagon and can confirm that it was in the NQP sale as it had........................a dented box!

I went to an event where Oxford Diecast had a stand. They were selling off some damaged models for £1 each. Among those models that I bought was a van in perfect order but with a cracked perspex box. Other models had just come apart and only required re-assembly.

• Like 16

Morning All,

It is absolutely throwing it down this morning!  Not that we don't need the rain.  However, it made for an unpleasant drive to work.

Fortunately, I managed to get the lawn mowed over the weekend.  Although that turned out to be a longer job than I expected.  Earlier in the year, I bought a new mower because my previous one was on its last legs.  On Saturday, it started fine but as soon as any load was placed on the engine, it cut out.  The grass wasn't that long, but everytime the engine stalled.

Having stripped down the engine, I discovered (believe it or not) that the carburettor on these new Briggs and Stratton engines is made of plastic!  Fortunately, stripping everything is reasonably easy and I discovered that the main jet was very slightly fouled.  Having cleaned it, and reassembled everything the problem was solved.  Reading up on the Internet subsequently, it appears this is a common problem because the main jet is so small (almost half the size of the main jets on typical small engines).  In order to keep emissions down, they run these engines as lean as they can get away with.

Oh well - time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I really hesitate to suggest this but it isn’t a left hand thread by any chance? 

I carefully inspected the thread And I am trying to turn it the right way..

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just got up to find out what rising early was all about.

I suppose I will find something to occupy myself with between now and the Wales v Georgia kick off time.

Unfortunately, as it's not raining, it may well be work that involves gardening implements and one of the big green bins.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I carefully inspected the thread And I am trying to turn it the right way..

I can sympathize with your dilemma, as I had a similar problem with one of these multi tool cutters, where I couldn't release the cutting blade from the tool.

In the end, I had to strip the thing down (because the case was plastic) and apply some heat to the offending part(s).

The retaining screw was an M6 hexagonal cap head which had to be replaced as it was pretty chewed up and a decision was made to remove the cutting tool after every operating session.

This action seems to have cured the  problem.

The PH and I suspect that the heat generated when cutting assisted in the seizure, especially after repeated heating and cooling over a period of weeks.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The right way for the Nut was left.. HH suspicions on his tool are probably correct, mine had been in use much of the day..

Mooring awl. Inner temple hare,

After taking a couple of pink pills I had a solid 5 hours sleep in bed followed by a long gap and then another 1.5 hours.. Ben was given a small dose of calpol last night... he slept well as well. We suspect Arthur Itis.

Just as I went to sleep it started Chuckingitdarn, but it can't have been for long as there were dry roads this morning except for the odd puddle.

I see Thomas Cook has gone bust, I've never had a package holiday so it won't bother me, but it's sad to see a great name go, I suspect when the wreakage is sold off, someone will buy the name ... According to the TV this morning after paying the Hotel but not anything else, TC only made £188 per custormer, not enough  to pay for taxes , flights and 22,000 staff. 

As a comparison, A holiday on the broads for 4 can easily cost over £2500 for a week in August, the top of the range boat over £3200.

Time to.. wander down the lab and see what's waiting for me..

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from an overcast  and damp feeling Charente.  It chucked it down yesterday morning and may well rain again this afternoon  then most of the rest of the week. We watched the rugby yesterday and I then spent some time tidying in the shed. After dinner, that included plum crumble, we had a pleasant walk in the fields behind the house.  A highlight was a rather surprised deer that suddenley bou nded up out of the sunnflower stubble before running off towards the nearest woods.

This morning the builder has already  turned up to try and get the floor slab laid before the rain comes.  Beth and I are heading for the woodshed to tidy it up and cut some more wood to length ready for the winter. Then we'll have somewhere to put the 3 stears that we are going to buy.  I'm the cutter and general kabourer. Beth is the very neat stacker.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

After some overnight rain, the sun is now shining and we have blue skies with very little cloud. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is getting ready for her Zumba class. Once she’s left, I’ll head back downstairs and continue working on the cellar floor. I’m hoping to get most of it down today, if not all of it! 

Not a lot else planned for the day, other than swimming later this evening.

Back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Bit damp here but hey ho!

Yes it is a great shame losing a very old business. It is a concern that the same people who we bailed out have managed to force companies out of business for their own prosperity.

Today is a potential fill in the tax form day. Pah! Compared to what has/is going on in Dudders' french village this seems very boring but it still needs to be done, along with filling in my Umpires Report for yesterday.

Such is the wild life I lead!:jester:

Grasp the day!

Positive thoughts to all but especially to those who ail!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

John - I'm pleased to see that Sandy appears to be holding her own, and I've read back all the blog pages that I missed while away, as it and virtual greetings are just about all I can do to assist you at this difficult time.  I do like your choice of music, and the name of Herbert Howells takes me back to a time when I was young, when he was an adjudicator at the Ayrshire music festival, which was held annually in Ayr, and was for school choirs.  My late father was a music master, and taught at the same school that I attended.  (You might recall a few years back my surprise and delight to find that he also taught Jock 67B and helped to instill a love of classical music in him).   I was a choir member for a few years, and we were adjudicated by Mr Howells, whose opinion of our efforts now escapes me, but as we came very near the bottom, it was probably not that good!!

Well it has to be generic greetings to everybody else, and as I've not had any PMs, I do hope that means that it all bodes well with all my fellow Ers.

Today is LASAR after a visit to Barclays in the hope that they can provide a statement without any of the IT "issues" which seem to infect their systems.

Back tomorrow, hopefully.

Regards to all

Stewart

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Today will be a washing day, whatever the weather but it would be helpful if it doesn’t rain. 

I don’t think there are other plans lurking but I sure I will find out soon.

Have a good day. 

Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning Debs:)

As i was talking about the broads this popped up on one of their forums.. I didn't know whther to put this in driving standards:wacko: it costs about £2500 a week to hire..

the bridge height is slightly lower the other side.. It's also one of the taller bridges on the broads..

• Like 10
  • Funny 4