The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

29 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The teller at the bank looked at our account and told us as long as we receive a monthly standing order of at least $1,000 we could upgrade the account and get the cashier's checks for no fee.

Our bank waived almost all fees on our accounts once we officially became 'seniors' i.e turned 65. It works well on digital processes, but we sometimes have to remind human cashiers.

29 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Since I got my knee brace I've been able to resume the paw patrol with Shona. The brace is not exactly a thing of beauty but with it I can walk and use stairs again with no hesitation at all.

I play soccer (association football) in various over-60/over-65/over-70 leagues and competitions. The amount of hardware being strapped on in changing rooms before games is impressive!

• Like 16

Interesting story (at least I thought it was interesting) at the title company.

We were dealing with a lady there called "Elsie". MrsID's mother went by Elsie although it was actually short for Eliza. It's not a common name in the US so when we were done we asked where she got the name. Turns out her mother is Norwegian and she married a US Air force guy who was stationed in England. Her mother couldn't speak a lot of English and an English lady called Elsie was a great help to her, so Elsie got that name when she was born - in England.

I asked her if she'd considered getting a UK passport and she said she had thought about it. She actually could have dual nationality recognized by the US. Generally the US does not recognized dual nationality. Once you are "naturalized" that's it but in Elsie's case she was a minor when she was naturalized, and a minor can't renounce their citizenship.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a plae that looks as if it's going to be sunny agaain.  The builder made a cracking start yesterday  and got the foundation trenches dug and the mass concrete mixed and poured. I helped a bit with the marking out. Beth and I are both very impresed with his work rate.  I even got some work done in the shed and got the top frames fitted to my new work bench. It was helped into place with a sledgehammer.  I was pleased  with the results.

I'm off shortly to pick up the builder and head off to the builders merchants. Over here it's common for the customer to buy the materials  directly as that saves about 20% Due to French law.  I'm happy with that as I've got a loyalty card for the place in question.

Just a thought about the Rugby world cup. With the Japanese taste for whale meat, are Hippo's wise to travel there......

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Funny 8

It's an easy job to register for NHS organ donation, all my kin are aware and I carry a card in my wallet.

Easy peasy.

Good luck for whoever gets what.......some organs......like my brain have been rarely used......... whilst other bits have suffered decades of abuse to the extent where they are worn out or will soon start to dry up or leak.

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A sunny start here and another fine, warm, dry day is forecast.

Not much to report. Fencing repairs went OK with no mishaps or injury. Shopping was shopped.

Some domestic tasks to do today.

Still not muddled, mojo has not been found.

Rugby World Cup starts today so I may be watching the box quite a lot over the next couple of weeks.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, it’s Friday so that means a trip to the Trafford Centre is on the cards, as well as Asda. As is the norm, my return journey will be via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner.

Not a lot else to report, enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,,

Not a good nights sleep less than 4 hours, brain went into overdrive and wouldn't shut down, It spent many hours thinking of various things, though mostly about reducing the weight of the hull.

I don't think they want my organs... "Being Susceptible to malignant Hyperpyrexia under Anaethesia", means I have a 50/50 chance of dying if given the types of anaethetic normally used in hospitals.. Not the best Time to be giving one of my organs to someone else who's already under anaethetic....

GOF.. This morning lot's of GOF, not fatchy pist and mog...

This has taken about 1.5 hours to type as the waiting time between measurments for what I'm doing is short..

Time too...next..

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Early trip to moreasons while her indoors awaited a visit from the Gasman. He will be here in the next ten minutes as the automated job card creation system had sent him to somewhere else first.

Not much sport for me this weekend. I have a game to umpire on Sunday in Nottinghamshire. Early start for me as they hope to start early...as in 11 am.

Hoping all of our travellers return safely and best wishes to all who ail be it physically or mentally or both.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I agree with Brian, the off-cuts box at various DIY emporiums is a source of some usefull bits. I will shortly be laying the new bathroom floor covering. Along one side an inch or so above the floor runs the water and drain pipes, they run about four inches both out from the wall and above the floor. In the off-cuts I found two four foot lengths of 9mm ply about five inches wide, ideal for boxing in the pipes. Tomorrow I will be visiting the Shenfield show, allways a good show and usually a very good club stand.  

• Like 16

Morning all!

The sun is shining here in Leicestershire - bright and blue skies everywhere I look.

Can't wait for the weekend!

Have worked my rest day for the last 2 or 3 weeks but tried to use up my annual leave so booked tomorrow off - was a nice surprise.

First midwife appointment today, which is great but scary as we're actually having a child; it seems to become more real as each week passes.

But it's also a shame as the list of "things I need to do" is becoming ever longer as the day grows shorter.

Must find time to fit some modelling in though!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Greetings all from LBG , where the sun is shining and it is one of those lovely crisp days that characterise the end of summer and the beginning of autumn. Sadly I have to be in the office!

Good to read the news from Sir Topham. Having been down the route he has described in previous posts I can only wish him and Lady Topham a smooth pregnancy.

Best wishes too to John and Sandy and to our missing ERs.

The weekend holds little in the way of excitement - the lawn needs a haircut and so do I, although I won't be using the bosch mower on my bonse.

I didn't get a chance to comment on Darren Stevens' exploits yesterday but I believe he is the second oldest person to score a double ton and take a five-for in the same match, second only to WG himself. And Kent's 443 win was fairly high up the record books too (4th biggest county championship win by runs).  Sadly if the likes of Trevor Bayliss have their way, Kent wouldn't be a first class county any longer. so I had better enjoy it while it lasts!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

After a busy yesterday attacking the front hedge either ennui ir something I'd eaten left me well and truly reminded that I might either have eaten the wrong thing or done too much after eating it so a rather painful and occasionally upset tum somewhat marred my evening.  The biggest problem was missing out on the freshly cooked bread & butter pudding but there mighht be enough left to warm up this evening.

Still a little on the fragile side today but a bacon sarnie has certainly filled a hole and helped restore my equilibrium;  if in doubt have a good fry-up but if you can't do that a bacon sarnie isn't a bad substitute.  The Good Doctor is deputising in conveying the management to the trainspotting branch of Waitrose so the sudoku has not yet arrived.   But yesterday's codeword is unstarted so will be my next task,  and as various are aware an important booking has been made.

Enjoy the rest of your day and may those travelling eastwards, be it on sea or on land, have a pleasant journey.

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. 

At last we are aware we are on a ship. Force 10 wind , rough sea, 21 knots.  Ship still incredibly stable even up here on deck 13. Just had lunch which was down on deck 2 which was good for wave watching. 

We have caught up with the storm which the captain claims to have been chasing across the Atlantic. Aditi was sitting on the balcony in the sun this time yesterday. 

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The brochure arrived from inside track today, theres still a few holidays to come this year  but I have already made plans for the dates concerned, but next year...

14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Uncle Grafton who is a well seasoned traveller, has told us to to keep the natives at bay by using Nippon.

Don't the Japanese like their whale steaks well seasoned?

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

At last we are aware we are on a ship. Force 10 wind , rough sea, 21 knots. 

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

It's already arrived in Cornwall. Blue cloudless skies, but horizontal trees...

I assume these are the remnants of the former Hurricane Humberto. It sideswiped Bermuda a day or so ago.

In it's wake is Hurricane Jerry - now a category 2 storm. Fortunately Jerry will likely avoid landfall in Caribbean and the Bahamas but might take a second shot at Bermuda where such storms are rare - though Shakespeare's "The Tempest" is based on a storm that was probably a hurricane, encountered by a rescue mission to resupply the Jamestown Colony in 1609 that shipwrecked in Bermuda. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9