The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

Busy day today just had dinner and sat at the screen mainly getting all the legal documents that that turned up via email today printed out at least the flat purchase is on the go the buyer of the house has started to drag her heels all due to the ##cking estate agent she's #issed off with him as well the smarmy little #wat.

I cleared all the switches of the control panel of the layout along with as much wire I could safely remove without damage took most of the day plus all the other electrickery bits.

Coffee time now and a bit of Telly before bed :superman: H.P. Printer :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A couple of E-bay purchases this afternoon. One is a can motor attached to a (plastic) gearbox, the gears are bright yellow and the box is clear plastic. According to the paperwork its for instructing how gears work. the other part of the package was some model scaffolding. The whole lot cost me about £8 including postage so I'm well pleased.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most, other times of day are available.

I used to be away from home a lot working in the Defence Industry. I got fed up and moved into the Building Services Industry. I then spent nearly as much time travelling in the UK as I had done travelling the world...pah!

Totally worn to a frazz for some reason.

Time for some  eyelid insection  so

Goonight awl!

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning I managed to get 2 coats of undercoat on the rear of the stairs and also on the architrave around the storage area door. I got the first one done straight after breakfast and the second a couple of hours later just before I stopped for dinner. In between the coats drying, I got everything ready for laying the new flooring, which will probably now start next week as I still have to topcoat behind the stairs. I also checked my flooring calculations again, I need 20.5 sq m of flooring and I bought just over 23.2 sq m, so hopefully I’ve bought more than enough. 

After dinner I decorated the cakes I made yesterday, once they were done, I just had enough time for a muggertea before setting off to pick up Evie and Max from school. 

Goodnight all. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

A nice bright sunny day so Mrs Stationmaster decided that we were going to the pictures - which was useful as on the  way I popped into WHS and acquired the latest issue of MRJ.  And the film - well it was the Downton Abbey one which includes one or two almost convincing train shots and offers the amusement of working out how all the various sub-plots will end (hardly a strain) because they're bound to turn out the way you expect with everything compressed into a couple of hours of feel  good movie rather than spread over several weeks of tv 'angst and suspense. 

Then off for nosh in the nearby Clombian/Turkish owned Italian restaurant which this week seems to be staffed by a new batch of Polish folk.  The cook is Polish too I think but he's not bad with pasta give him his due.  The Good Doctor joined us for the meal part so we didn't have to walk back up the hill.  Meanwhile the lad's electronic communication device seems to be working (but might not be the one that was recently washed) and he has managed to find himself a suitable hostelry with some decent beer in Graz.  Tomorrow he's at the official opening of the new offices there but it seems they have also dropped him in for manning the company's stand, or whatever it is, at some recruitment event aimed at school leavers  - I hope the school leavers' English is better than his German (which isn't even the Austrian version).  This, I presume, is what is being officially opened tomorrow -

https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2019/02/multi-million-euro-investment-in-it-security

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, TheQ said:

Oops we are delayed going back to the old lab.. When doing some electricity supply changes, they found the Lab had been wired wrongly in the first place...

Investigation of the full problem is required, then contracts raised, then the work done.. 

So are all your measurements for the last 40 years now suspect?

• Funny 15

On 16/09/2019 at 22:12, Robert said:

Neither do I, and I guess that is the problem - nobody really does!

I do, but everyone thinks I'm nuts :) (Can't imagine why :) )

It's pretty simple really. Renewable energy (solar, wind, tidal etc) is great but without some means to store the energy a lot of what could be captured isn't.

The trick is to use that excess energy and convert it into hydrogen. That is a very inefficient process but who cares about efficiency if the energy was just going to waste anyway? (I think they are doing just that in Orkney.)

The other thing you do is use the excess energy to liquefy nitrogen. There's quite a lot of that about.

You use the liquid hydrogen as a substitute for diesel/petrol, either in a fuel cell or even in an IC engine (many are scared to death of hydrogen, but that's just a load of nonsense - petrol is just as bad, or even worse).

Fuel cell technology has a lot of problems and it might never be viable on a large scale, but you can use hydrogen in an IC engine quite easily. The snag with IC engines is, like all heat engines, they are not very efficient so they produce a lot of low grade waste heat. That's where the liquid nitrogen comes in. It sucks in the waste heat and produces high temperature nitrogen gas to drive a turbine (a bit like a steam engine.)

Even without the hydrogen step you can use liquid nitrogen to recover a lot of the energy that would otherwise be wasted from a diesel/petrol engine.

Yes, it's a bit more complicated, but it's one way that might work.

Comments, with a self-addressed envelope to:

Horace Batchelor,

KEYNSHAM, England.

Spelled K-E-Y-N-S-H A-M

Edited by AndyID
Beats me!
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Nobody seems to do anything with my proposal that we use it to pump the water back up Niagara Falls.

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Nothing wrong with that if there's somewhere to put it.

See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pumped-storage_hydroelectric_power_stations . This is a worldwide list of pumped-storage schemes with a generating capacity of 1000MW or more.

There are a few in the UK. See the notes in this table - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroelectricity_in_the_United_Kingdom . 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

Good morning one and all

This morning sees the last appearance of John Humphrys on the Today programme after 32 years.  By common consent, he is one of the finest broadcast journalists of our age and few can match his ability to emulate the rottweiler when let loose on recalcitrant politicians.  His conversation with David Cameron this morning is bound to be interesting.  (What?  You didn’t know?  It’s in the Radio Times!)  Not widely remembered is that as a young man he was the first reporter on the scene at Aberfan.  His distinguished career deserves to be marked by a long and happy retirement and I for one wish him just that.  I don’t envy whoever is appointed to take his place.

Seven of us turned up for Area Group last night.  As I feared, the pub quiz proved something of a distraction and we must find a way to avoid it in future.  Different venue, different night or what?   Decisions, decisions.  Some mischief was had by muttering blatantly wrong answers, which is always fun

I will be heading for London this afternoon to spend the evening quietly before setting off tomorrow morning for mainland Europe.  All being well, I expect to be back here this time next week, knowing a bit more about Prague and Berlin than I do now.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Morning All,

It is a rather chilly morning in this part of the world.  However, there isn't much cloud, so it will probably warm up a certain amount later.

4 minutes ago, chrisf said:

This morning sees the last appearance of John Humphrys on the Today programme after 32 years.  By common consent, he is one of the finest broadcast journalists of our age and few can match his ability to emulate the rottweiler when let loose on recalcitrant politicians. 

Not sure about that to be honest.  I think many politicians have been given an easy ride by him of late.  Particularly when they share his opinions.

Although it is fair to say that he has been present for a very long time, and I will always have fond memories for the today programme.  My Mum listened to it every morning.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Nobody seems to do anything with my proposal that we use it to pump the water back up Niagara Falls.

I thought that the falls were nearly turned off when the tourists aren't there by putting most of the wzter through the hydro-electric power station under the Canadian falls. 

Anyway good morning all. It's on 12 degrees but sunny again. Leaves are changi g colour and some are falling.  The Sunflower crop is being harvested and that just leaves the maize to be cut. Autumn us on it's way.

The builder turned up yesterday afternoon and dropped various materials  off.  He's due at 9.30 this morning and I will be required as sureveyors assistant to help him nark his lines and datums out. Apart from that I will be jroning and then bench making in the shed.

Thoughts with all those that ail.

Chris, I hope that your trip goes well.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining but the skies are a pale grey colour, but no precipitation is forecast. Once Sheila has left for her Zumba class my initial tasks will be to replace a failed light bulb in the kitchen, change the water jug filter and clean out the filters in the dishwasher and washing machines. After that I will head back down to the cellar and continue the on going work. Powering up the new sockets and fitting shelf brackets are top of the list of tasks down there.

Enjoy your day, back later. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

I will be heading for London this afternoon to spend the evening quietly before setting off tomorrow morning for mainland Europe.  All being well, I expect to be back here this time next week, knowing a bit more about Prague and Berlin than I do now.

There is a bit of the wall left in Berlin next to the basement wall of the old SS building and a new museum. Well worth visiting  - horrific as just how many of their own they killed let alone all the other well known atrocities. https://www.topographie.de/

A short walk form Potsdamer Platz or Anhalter S Bahn where there is the remains of the old terminus that was heavily bombed.

K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M is where some of my first Airfix model building kits came from as there used to be a good model shop there back in the late 60's / early 70's.

Morning from a sunny Surrey. Currently working on a couple of Florida east Coast locos upgrading the sound decoders with iphone 4 speakers.

The first of the small tables now constructed . The PC temporarily on there will be moving to another. These are being built to height that they can be slid under the layouts when set up once the items on the top are removed.

Excuse the shadows created by the sun streaming through the window

20190919_093652.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

So are all your measurements for the last 40 years now suspect?

No, but it explains why some sockets were unusable due to noise, more worryingly all sockets in a lab are supposed to be one phase... These weren't, even though they were labelled as such.. Very dangerous...

This mornings post seems to have gone astray, there must be someone looking at another thread somewhere  very confused with my posting.

This morning hasn't gone well either, I've lost about 2 hours work , I set all the instruments up as normal, did several tests,  carp answers.. is it the instrument or the test equipment?  Check every thing over, Take the setup all apart. reconnect it all, set up again.. and so far it's working this time, although I can see no difference in the set up from before..

And other things going wrong, My sailing compatriot is still in hospital, He phoned up last night sounding Very carp, he's caught an infection.. Dangerous places these hospitals, they make you ill..

I sympathise with ChrisFs meeting, the sailing association meeting I used to chair, was often held in a hotel. We would be sat down one end of the lounge when a wedding party would come in and be very noisy, some times before their party,, Sometimes After!!! having been up all night..

Time too.. take the next measurement

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

There is a bit of the wall left in Berlin next to the basement wall of the old SS building and a new museum. Well worth visiting  - horrific as just how many of their own they killed let alone all the other well known atrocities. https://www.topographie.de/

A short walk form Potsdamer Platz or Anhalter S Bahn where there is the remains of the old terminus that was heavily bombed.

K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M is where some of my first Airfix model building kits came from as there used to be a good model shop there back in the late 60's / early 70's.

Morning from a sunny Surrey. Currently working on a couple of Florida east Coast locos upgrading the sound decoders with iphone 4 speakers.

The first of the small tables now constructed . The PC temporarily on there will be moving to another. These are being built to height that they can be slid under the layouts when set up once the items on the top are removed.

Excuse the shadows created by the sun streaming through the window

20190919_093652.jpg

Decking boards usefull for lots of things ...

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

I will be heading for London this afternoon to spend the evening quietly before setting off tomorrow morning for mainland Europe.  All being well, I expect to be back here this time next week, knowing a bit more about Prague and Berlin than I do now. Chris

Chris,

Not much more about Berlin, other than U-, S-, and Straßenbahnen.  24 hours isn't long.

Looking at the food store, I can bring cheese, onion & pepper and avocado & tomato sandwiches.  And bananas.

Bill

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3