The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

4 hours plus 1 plus 1 not so good the nights sleep, at least no gifts from Ben, " I've got lots of toys" Collie..

Very chilly on patrol, and the forecast for tomorrow mornings patrol 2C..

Signs are up for more road works, some I can't avoid as they are on a bridge I have to use to get home, unless I want a ten mile diversion. BT are digging a trench ..

Email, from the company, I have to attend a meeting to they can "reach out" to to us.. only if they've got long arms they are 5000 miles away...

My Sailing compatriot is due to be freed today, with wheel chair and a special walker, since he can't use his right wrist this is one you lean on with your arms.. Quite how you lift it I don't know..

He does have a problem... His parents house has a gravel driveway..

Work today.. 2 X 1Gohm Resistors, 1 unit with ten temperature controlled resistors, one Shunt of the set that I did the other day, that the person denied he had... two "instructional videos / question things... Company financial integrity (i have no dealings with finance) and one on safety..

Time to take the next reading.. 1.0003599 GOhm...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,,

The sky is mainly blue ,the sun is shining and a fine, dry day is forecast.

This means that "I must be getting along, lots to do, Perks GDB must be about it!"

First task today will be fence renovation. I have feather edge board, nails, hammer, measuring tape and saw. (Oh, and plasters)  What could possibly go wrong? :scratchhead::banghead:

I will also be trying out my new TomTom later. Set it up yesterday and it took about an hour to do various updates. I'll see how quick it is to recalculate a route when I deliberately ignore it. I do this quite often with sat navs just for the hell of it. :D Perhaps I should get out more. :rolleyes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Baz. I've also been using Waze for a while. It  was excellent on my old Samsung phone but is not so good on my current Moto mobile and has let me down a couple of times and the sound disappears, usually just when you don't want it to. I'm fairly sure it's the fault of the phone, not Waze.  I'm thinking of changing to an I-phone in the near future.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a dull start to the day here in England’s northwest and a bit cool, 7C according to the app on my phone. Once I’ve finished breakfast I’m heading back downstairs to the cellar and will once again start splashing paint about as I tackle the under stairs area. I’m only working until dinner time, as I have 12 cakes to decorate before carrying out the school run, as we Ava, Evie and Max coming round for tea. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oops we are delayed going back to the old lab.. When doing some electricity supply changes, they found the Lab had been wired wrongly in the first place...

Investigation of the full problem is required, then contracts raised, then the work done.. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit chilly last night/this morning but now warming up nicely. Got in a bit late last night after the SEERS meeting in which one of the members gave a very interesting talk on his railway themed trip to Cornwall. He went with a company called Inside Track http://www.railwayholidays.com . He did mention that a couple of years ago he booked with them for a European trip. They were due to go by Eurostar but when they arrived at St. Pancras they found that their train and the following one had been cancelled. Their courier took them to a private room in one of the watering holes at the station and all drinks and food was on the company. He then charted an aircraft from London City Airport to take them to Frankfurt and a coach to take them on to their final destination. In all they arrived there at midnight only six hours late so apart from a slight loss of sleep the rest of the holiday went as planned. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

My Sailing compatriot is due to be freed today, with wheel chair and a special walker, since he can't use his right wrist this is one you lean on with your arms.. Quite how you lift it I don't know..

He does have a problem... His parents house has a gravel driveway..

That sounds like either a gutter frame or a puplit frame, like a tall zimmer.  Beth used both of them when recovering from lising the use of ger legs for 4 months. Her eventual recovery was quite quick. It caused both of much amusement when she progressed from a puplit to the gutter in less than a week.

I hope that your friends goes on OK.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I will also be trying out my new TomTom later. Set it up yesterday and it took about an hour to do various updates. I'll see how quick it is to recalculate a route when I deliberately ignore it. I do this quite often with sat navs just for the hell of it. :D 

Mrs NB is a very good navigator.

I do not deliberately ignore her, for fear of the consequences...….

700 mile road trip soon! I have no problem with about 500 of it, so just 200 miles of Sat-nag......

Busy, busy.

Catch up properly later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Update. There are no deck restrictions, just a please use the handrails warning. I stood on the open observation space just below the bridge and most of the breeze seemed to be from the speed of the ship, approx 21 knots. 

Clocks go forward an hour at noon. 

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Well my interactions with French Offiicialdom have had mixed results.   I started off at the tax office, proving my ID so that I could set up a personal space to set up a direct debit for my income tax.   I already have a direct debit with the same fiscal number for my Tax Fonciere (A sort of rates equivalent), so can't understand why.   However having done it I now can't either create or get into my espace personal and that's not a type of car.   Anyway after that I set off from The Danglies, to get to Saintes.   I was a bit early so just had to sit on the station for half an hour, how sad.   Then went to see the lady in the planning department.   A few things were lost in translation but eventually we got a result.   For some reason we couldn't have our en suite where we wanted it because the end wall would be less than 3m from the neighbours wall.  However it transpired that if we extend the roof of the en suite to butt up against the wall to make a sort of covered passageway round it, then we are fine.   I then asked how long do we have to wait till we start building.  The reply was "today".  I could have kissed her but thought better of it and quit whilst I was ahead.  The end result is that the builder starts in the morning and has already brought some stuff up..   That's a result and I seem to have earned some brownie points.    

Also a parcel with a 3D printed coach has arrived.  On first inspection it looks well.  

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Also a parcel with a 3D printed coach has arrived.  On first inspection it looks well.  

Now that is intriguing... 

But I'm bracing myself for disappointment. It's probably a Modelu figure to sit on the bench at Lancaster City FC's ground.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Now that is intriguing... 

But I'm bracing myself for disappointment. It's probably a Modelu figure to sit on the bench at Lancaster City FC's ground.

It could be a very lonely figure sitting there at Giant Axe.   I have taken some pictures of the object and will put them up on the layout thread. I am afraid of the awl.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy HUMP day!

Yesterday managed to dismantle three more sections of the layout and transport all dismantled ones to the new place - that was enough for the day :O

Today was ALREADY given advanced "warning" from the east coast client that a new CFO has been installed and they (the finance dept.) are expecting some changes to the reports - quelle surprise - and most notably/quite likely, a reversal of much of what has been undertaken the past couple of months. I DO wish these financial folks would all stay on the same bloody page with each other :rtfm::butcher::triniti:

More layout dismantling later, should see the end of it today.

21 already first thing, but overcast and threatening. expecting 29 and thunderstorms much of the day apparently.

Tally ho.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land.  I've been looking at the Inside Track website and I'm considering taking one or maybe even two of their holidays next year. I've always wanted to visit the Isle of Man for one thing. Only thing is they haven't published next years brochure yet, theres still a few trips this year to go.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Oregon Coast ...  they do sum up the changeable conditions this August

Our August was more changeable that usual. Inland it is usually invariably dry, sunny and can be hot. This year was milder and we had rain on several occasions. The coast is always changeable - except in winter when it is usually stormy.

When Vancouver explored the Pacific Northwest, (like Cook) he wintered in Hawai'i. Unlike Cook, he wasn't eaten by the locals. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

... a new CFO has been installed and they (the finance dept.) are expecting some changes to the reports - quelle surprise - and most notably/quite likely, a reversal of much of what has been undertaken the past couple of months. I DO wish these financial folks would all stay on the same bloody page with each other

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. They can be counted on to put their "stamp" on things.

For you it is excellent job security, no? Some extra frequent flyer miles and hotel points etc?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

For you it is excellent job security, no? Some extra frequent flyer miles and hotel points etc?

Indeed, every "new boss" wants their own stamp, my boot print somewhere would be good :)

Frequent flyer points - not needed, with Jemma at Delta now although it's "standby" we pretty much fly anywhere free so long as there's seats :) The worst part, not that we'd complain :) is that returning from UK/Heathrow is the most expensive as the airport tax is highest and we have to pay those!

I'll take the hotel points, but am getting pretty tired of travelling so often so that's also something I'd not really miss...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17