The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Here for example is a sunset from Newport, Oregon.

Thanks for sharing. I've not been to the coast for two years now and I am 'Jonesing' to get back to a favourite spot. Now that the summer 'high season' is over, hotel prices will have dropped, particularly mid-week, and presuming I have some free time (which at this point seems likely) I should head out there.

While I enjoy a stormy day at the coast, today would not be the day. It is more than soggy - dark and rainy. It is amazing just how much the weather has changed in the last two weeks since the Labor Day long weekend. While this is appropriately seasonal, I am missing the crisp, cool, fine weather we normally enjoy at this time of year. (In truth, yesterday was a nicer, dry and partly sunny day.) Today it feels like we have jumped directly to November.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

Had to dash out early :secret_mini:for a rendezvous hence the quick post earlier.

Sods law I have contacted several women at the week end didn't hear a dicky and 3 of them came back on this morning accepting a date heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

the weekend is going to be busy  :wub:.

must get on :superman: S.T. Elfmoves :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, 81C said:

Sods law I have contacted several women at the week end didn't hear a dicky and 3 of them came back on this morning accepting a date

Like buses?

It sounds like a nice problem to have.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

I don’t look at the fuel economy gauge on my car around town. It all looks better when some long distance motoring is added. It is petrol 4 cylinder 2 litre and somehow has 290 horses hidden in the four cylinders. 

Tony

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t look at the fuel economy gauge on my car around town. It all looks better when some long distance motoring is added. It is petrol 4 cylinder 2 litre and somehow has 290 horses hidden in the four cylinders. 

Tony

I only have 200 horses but the jalopy looks nothing like a horse box!

• Like 8
  • Funny 6

Hopefully it turned out all right.  I have spent many an hour at emergency facilities (A & E ?) with my wife and can sympathise, but it has to be and its good that there is always someone around in an emergency to help.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 12

42 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

And yet you are a lot closer than us!!

Indeed I am. I could be in Newport in about two hours and about 15 minutes less to Pacific City. A bit sad isn't it.

Instead I met with my insurance agent this morning to hear her explain why my homeowners insurance is going up 20%. This afternoon I have a telephone meeting to finalize wording for my will. Not as much fun as watching the ocean with a craft beer at hand but still things that need doing.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Daughter Charlie is incommunicado - washed her phone.  In the washer. Full cycle.

26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

... whether it would survive an encounter with a washing machine I don't know but the lad's i-something or other seems to have survived its encounter with one last week reasonably well up to now (once it had dried out of course).

Some of the very latest Apple and Samsung 'phones can be immersed in water. Whether they would reliably survive a washing machine I cannot say, but they are advertised to survive falling into the pool. Before the spill/splash proof and immersion proof 'phones, opening the 'phone and burying it in dry uncooked rice for a day or so was an approach to try to dry them out if they were inadvertently immersed.

If I remember correctly Samsung introduced immersion proofing on the Galaxy S7 "Sport" model and standardized it with their Galaxy S8 series. Apple's latest commercial (with provider Verizon) running presently on US television focuses on selling robustness of the iPhone 11, attacking it with toys, vegetables, cake and water, amongst other things.

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

As is usual when Sheila partakes in the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, we spent a lot more money than when I go on my own. I’m sure we need all the extra stuff, to be fair though, some of it will be gifts, but I’m sure we didn’t need to buy all that stuff today. Mind you, we went in a couple of other shops whilst we were there, which does mean that Sheila doesn’t have to carry it home with her, so a few brownie points earned there. 

This afternoon I commandeered the kitchen and made a dozen red velvet cakes. This is the least amount that I can make when reducing this recipe to a single egg. 

After tea it was deemed necessary that a trip to Waitrose was required :o................but at least it has got it all done in one day. To be honest, I think I’d rather have gone tonight and not tomorrow morning, as it now means I can carry on in the cellar. 

Goodnight all 

• Friendly/supportive 18

Good morning one and all

I went shopping for guide books yesterday.  Of the rather poor selection on show I bought two.  One was a Rough Guide to Prague, the other a booklet of another brand to help me get round Berlin.  I have always liked the format of the Rough Guide.  It makes it quite easy to find important landmarks with the aid of well-drawn maps.  I have already located the hotel, the main station and a convenient metro station in relation to the rest of the city.  There is a handy explanation of the travel network and ticketing arrangements, both of which are of paramount importance!  There will be much more to discover as the visit progresses – pubs for starters.

Rather too many apologies for absence have been submitted for tonight’s Area Group meeting.  I should not complain because at least those concerned have taken the trouble to apologise.  Some of the group flatly refuse to make the trek to Bedford, mostly because of the indifferent performance of the M1.  It took me an hour and three quarters to get home from Harpenden last time so I can see their point.  Despite the numbers or lack thereof, we usually have an interesting conversation, which to be honest is not always confined to the subject of model railways.  Why would it be?

A jiffy bag arrived yesterday.  In it, at last, was a copy of Ben Moss’s album, with a very thoughtful note of thanks for attending both launch events.  It is called “Lost Lands” and will spend no time in the hessian bag before being put in the car and given top priority to be played.  The car will not turn a wheel for a week or so, thanks to my rail-based holiday!

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

A quick good morning all. Off to see 2 branches of French Officialdom

1st to the tax office to set up a standing order for my income tax

Then on to another town to try and sort out the pkanning isues for our bathroom.  Coffee to finish now.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14