The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

... my car averages about 18 MPUSG

Mine is similar Brian.

When my daily commute was 1.6 miles each way, I was lucky to get 15 mpg over a full tank. My current commute is about 3.6 miles each way and with this distance the efficiency rises to around 18 mpg. Anytime I have a highway journey, efficiency goes up really quickly and if I go to the airport and back (30 miles each way) I'll average over 20 mpg for the tank - including short commutes for the balance of the tank. I should note that the car is 16 years old and I suspect some of the horses have run away.

Highway driving over the mountains for 150 miles, starting close to sea level and ending up at at an altitude about 3,000', the car will get 25 mpg. (The pass summit is at 4,816'.) The (mostly) downhill return trip over the mountains, results in 30 mpg. This is with the same vehicle, using the same fuel and the same driver with the same right foot.

As Brian notes these are US gallons (0.83 Imperial gallons or 3.79 litres). 18 miles per US gallon would be 22 miles per Imperial gallon. As they say "your mileage may vary".

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mine is similar Brian.

When my daily commute was 1.6 miles each way, I was lucky to get 15 mpg over a full tank. My current commute is about 3.6 miles each way and with this distance the efficiency rises to around 18 mpg. Anytime I have a highway journey, efficiency goes up really quickly and if I go to the airport and back (30 miles each way) I'll average over 20 mpg for the tank - including short commutes for the balance of the tank. I should note that the car is 16 years old and I suspect some of the horses have run away.

Highway driving over the mountains for 150 miles, starting close to sea level and ending up at at an altitude about 3,000', the car will get 25 mpg. (The pass summit is at 4,816'.) The (mostly) downhill return trip over the mountains, results in 30 mpg. This is with the same vehicle, using the same fuel and the same driver with the same right foot.

As Brian notes these are US gallons (0.83 Imperial gallons or 3.79 litres). 18 miles per US gallon would be 22 miles per Imperial gallon. As they say "your mileage may vary".

Dang 'mericans with their big V-8's!

We had one of the slightly naughty VW diesels. It consistently did 50 MPG (US gallons) between here and the airport. We really liked it but we couldn't resist the buy-back offer.

But here's the thing. At 50 MPG it was emitting a comparatively small amount of the greenhouse CO2. Half as much as a  25 MPG vehicle. What it did do was pump out more NOx during harsh acceleration than it should have, but NOx is really only a problem in high density urban areas, and it decays fairly quickly, unlike CO2 which never decays.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think the public should understand the basics before they allow the politicians and the major corporations to tell them the answers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Good morning one and all

Something silly happened yesterday, involving Virginontheridiculous Trains.  When I checked the fares from MK to Manchester I found that the off-peak return with senior railcard was £23 and the advance ticket was £69!  I asked the obvious question of “customer resolutions” at Virgin, so far without response.  Later in the day I had another go.  This time the advance tickets were shown at a far more respectable £9.25 each way.  The upshot of that is that I will be attending the Manchester show on 7th December.  I wonder what the reply from Virgin will say?

Much of today will be spent refining the packing for my trip to Prague etc with Bill.  I rediscovered a battered old suitcase into which I used to cram all that I needed for a fortnight in Switzerland.  It is therefore suitable for accommodating the clobber for a week away and will be less unwieldy than the rather shapeless holdall that I had first selected.  For a start, it has wheels.  I would rather trundle than lug, I think.

I have been musing about mobile phones, on and off.  I replaced mine back in January but have not made anything like full use of it.  Call me old-fashioned if you will but I tend to switch mine on only when I want to use it.  Not for me is the purposeful stride with phone clamped to ear or eyes trained on screen and colliding with everybody through not looking where I am going.  You have my full permission to hold me to that!  On last year’s Swiss trip at Christmas I could not help noticing that practically the whole group had the railway timetable loaded into their phones.  Perhaps I am not as venturesome as I should be.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning All,

A sure sign that Autumn is approaching, is the fact that we only have twilight at the moment!  Having said that, the weather appears reasonable if somewhat cloudy.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

I don't know what the answer is, but I think the public should understand the basics before they allow the politicians and the major corporations to tell them the answers.

Neither do I, and I guess that is the problem - nobody really does!

I drive a Ford Focus with the 1.0 litre Ecoboost engine and I get 57mpg constantly.  I don't do enough mileage to justify diesel (the fuel is cheaper in Germany, but tax is much higher)  War is being waged against Diesel vehicles at the moment and there are plans afoot to ban diesel cars from many towns.  Having said that, electric cars are not the alternative.  They might be fine for pottering to and from work - but long journeys are a major inconvenience - the individual countries can't even decide on a common plug and there is no universal payment system.  That is before we get to the issues of electricity supply and the materials required to manufacture the batteries.  It's all very well to say we need to replace the internal combustion engine - but there has to be something viable to replace it with.

Anything that is good for the environment needs to be implemented, but it really should be to improve the environment.  The cynical side of me can't help but think that many of the environmental issues at a political level are just a way of making more money.

Have a good day everyone... 

• Like 15
  • Agree 4

Given that tomorrow is bin day, this afternoon I thought I would shred and bag the contents of the small 'to be shredded' box. I didn't know that my wife had done a clearout of various files and, in addition to the box, there were two large plastic bags full. So, some hours (in total) later, there are six large paper bags full of shreddings in the recycling bin. I had to stop a few times as the shredder was actually overheating! It was an exercise in, if not nostalgia, at least remembering. How else would I have found out how much I'd earned in 2002? - one of the files cleaned out had been tax returns and supporting documentation.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

A sunny but chilly morning up here in the North West Leeds Highlands  today.

I have been detailed to do some cleaning duties (multiple items requiring the use of Brasso) and have to collect part of my prescription..yes the uk is short of some drugs already.

Tony, I hope you are feeling better today.

John, sandy and Debs, hope you have a good day today

Rick, I hope SWMBO is Ok.

AndyRam..hope you keep the blackdog back in its kennel.

To everyone else in feeling less than 100% have a good day.

Now for my mugatea!

Carpe Diem!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a sunny Charente. We had an interesting  day yesterday. The major battle with the Ivy has been won, a few minor mopping up operations to finish but the Marie wall is clear.  We actually abandoned the work whenthe temp got to 34 and tools became too hot to handle.  Then we inspected the pool interior which was at a steady 28.  Later however the mayor called.  Very pleased with the war on the Ivy but potentially bad news about our planned disabled friendly  bathroom.  I now have to go and talk to a planning officer in Saintes, about 30 miles away. Our co tractor was due to start tomorrow so he's not happy either.

Anyway Beth is off shopping and I'm goi g to finish the remaining small bits of Ivy along with some other small jobs.

Thoughts with Rick, John, Sandy and Debs and others in need.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

By the time I went downstairs to the cellar the sun was out and it turned into a lovely sunny day. Once I’d finished my tea I thought I’d make a start on the sockets, so I fitted 6 double and 1 triple socket. They are still not powered up yet as I still need to break into the ring main via a socket in the large room, but access to this particular socket is slightly impeded at the moment, but it won’t take long to clear. However, I prefer to do jobs where power is switched off, when I have the place to myself, as I can’t be doing with the “how long is the power going too be off for” questioning. So, I’ll do that little job on Thursday, when Sheila is at her Zumba class. As I was wiring up the sockets, I noticed that I haven’t yet painted the back of the stair risers or the risers of the treads, so I need to get that done before the flooring is fitted. 

After dinner I cut and fitted the architrave around the door to the under floor storage area, something that it’s never had before and made a start on the architrave round the main door, again, something that was never there before. 

D6DBD92C-85EA-4D28-8152-61899BA963F4.jpeg.1095cf5167e3352656265a712b413b9d.jpeg

After tea for a swim in Salford Quays, the water was a little cooler than last week, but is was very calm, but not quite Mill pond calm. However, due to staff shortages, they could only put 1 safety boat on the water, so swimming was restricted to the small lap (300m). Also my goggles steamed up almost as soon as I got in the water, so I couldn’t see where I was going and I kept swimming past the marker buoys. However, I still managed a mile in 33 minutes.

Once home, I hung my wetsuit up to dry and put my towel in the washing machine, before pouring myself a bottle of Doombar. 

Goodnight all. 

Make sure you fuse the new wiring you can't just bung that lot in.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,,

An odd nights sleep, 3 hours then 2 then 1 hours sleep.. Not helped by finding a hard, Ben, Throw the ball, throw the ball Collie, Toy in a painfull place on the sofa..

Very chilly out on patrol, it was cloudy all day so no sun and then it broke up to the clears skies around sunset.. Misty over the marshes this morning but not elsewhere.

On two of the possible routes home, the road works have disappeared so that could be useful. Also on the route home they finally demolished the remains of the old abatoir. So now they can start building the old peoples accomodation and houses.. is there a connection with the use of the site?

The softwear man will get his ear bent this morning, no not the IT man, the technical softwear man for the major systems..He went round doing updates yesterday.. This morning some of the major systems won't run as they're looking for something no longer used...

Going home last night I needed fuel, got to the petrol station to find it jam packed..  Too many panicking I think.. What many don't realise is OPEC had reduced production some time back, to force up the value of oil.. There is plenty of slack in the system at the  moment.. 

Saying that I also needed to refuel the landrover this morning, fingers didn't want to work in the cold undoing the tiny padlock..

Well, While typing this I've approved the major system, with no backup of the boss as he's on holiday, I'm now measuring the first of 3, 1 G Ohm Resistors. The first of which is finally settling, something is electrically noisy out there..

Time to... Take the first measurment..

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue, with just a few white fluffy clouds about. I’ve already hung out my wetsuit to take full advantage of the sunshine and I’m now waiting for Sheila to finish her breakfast then we will both be heading out to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. Once home, the shopping will be put away and I will then make some red velvet cakes, as requested by Ava for tomorrow nights dessert.

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Hope your feeling better Tony and best wishes to other ailing ER's. Robert, I didn't realise that electric/hybrid cars had different plugs for different countries or do you just mean to plug into the mains? If its the latter its only a simple matter of carrying an adaptor plug. I will try to make more progress today on the modelling room, I might even be able to reach the far corners of the room for the first time in ages.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, chrisf said:

I have been musing about mobile phones, on and off.  I replaced mine back in January but have not made anything like full use of it.  Call me old-fashioned if you will but I tend to switch mine on only when I want to use it.  Not for me is the purposeful stride with phone clamped to ear or eyes trained on screen and colliding with everybody through not looking where I am going.  You have my full permission to hold me to that!  On last year’s Swiss trip at Christmas I could not help noticing that practically the whole group had the railway timetable loaded into their phones.  Perhaps I am not as venturesome as I should be.

Best wishes to all

Chris

I used to be very much in that camp Chris. I only got a mobile in the first place when Mrs Lurker was pregnant and she thought she might want to call me. Of course, having it turned off defeated that a bit but I had a desk phone. Eventually my old boss realised that asking me to use my personal pay as you go phone to call someone in the Ivory Coast would use my credit up very rapidly, and however angry she got, I wasn't going to be able to make him another call. I was given a company blackberry, and later an I-phone. I have it switched on all the time. I find I use the apps like the National Rail one, the BBC website, the weather app, Spotify, even RMWeb more than I use it to make calls. But it also has my work e-mail...and that gets used more than anything. I have also found that I use for taking photos - something I never did regularly when I "only" had a camera. Here for example is a sunset from Newport, Oregon. I don't use social media - I always said Facebook would lose its cred the day I joined up....

IMG_1495 (002).JPG

• Like 18

Greetings all from a sunny LBG. Politics is swirling around the office. I shall try to remain out of it but some people are seeking to let things go wrong to prove a point. Not our team but the fallout will inevitably affect our year end progress. I don't look forward to that.

Today's first task was a delay repay after Southeastern's "massive points failure at Lewisham" last night. Our train had got almost to New Cross when it stopped and waited. And waited. And waited. Eventually our driver got out of the cab, walked back along side the track and into the other end and drove us back to London Bridge, which inevitably involved some wrong line running and loud blasting of the horn. After about an hour we were back waiting at the same platform we had originally set off from at London Bridge. Eventually we proceeded out of the station, across the Thamelink lines,  the driver carefully explaining he was on a bidirectional line and we would have to wait for an up service to cross, before heading back round via the Lewisham loop and then on to Sidcup. By my reckoning we were about an hour and 20 late, for a nineteen minute journey.

What was particularly irksome was that I only missed the preceding train by about minute!! It was pulling out as I got to the top of the escalator. And that was because I was just checking on Darren Stevens' exploits at Headingley before I went!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Hi Lurker

The musing was prompted by a messenger post from a friend, who has concluded that social media is not good for mental health - largely negative, he says.  After I reminded him that he and I came together through social media he mentioned screen time apps, which appparently tell you how often you use your phone.  Reading between the lines I think that he has had a bit of a fright.  His latest port of call on the road to Damascus is  to spend less time using technology, which will take a bit of doing given that he works for Amazon.  He and I will discuss further when I return from my imminent holiday.   My chief beef about mobiles is that some users give them absolute priority, to the point of interrupting face to face conversations to make or take a call and presenting traffic hazards when they don't look where they are going.  I suspect that we shall just have to agree to differ.

Chris

Edited by chrisf
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Checked out new eyedrops.

The instructions say.

"Use twice daily.

Do not use if you are diabetic as the eyedrops can mask low sugar levels"

Obviously the non linked up NHS has a lot to answer for. Either that or some doctors can't read!

Ni Brasso used today so far. We went shopping.

At the Garggia outlet store they had a reconditioned Ferrari Red espresso machine. It is now awaiting a reial go having parted with far too many  muddling tokens.

Back later...

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Chewsday...

Yesterday all quiet on the eastern (Long Island client) front. So it goes.

Evening spent dismantling the railway. Six sections down, six to go. Of course, it's odd to attempt to dismantle intact when there is absolutely no way they will ever be put back together in the same configuration! :O 

Several of the sections can/will be used, but others with multiple tracks (was a 4-track mainline in most places) on them will have to be repurposed into the new space <sigh>

More of the same this evening, the Mrs is pushing to get it all out in the next couple of days so the company that are going to come in and dispose of whatever we leave and then deep clean the place so we can rent it, can get started sooner than later.

Warming trend here at present at 21 and partly sunny getting the newspaper, expecting a high of 30 today.

Carry on.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

My chief beef about mobiles is that some users give them absolute priority, to the point of interrupting face to face conversations to make or take a call and presenting traffic hazards when they don't look where they are going. 

Chris, surely this is individual behaviour, rather than the technology itself?

There are some clear benefits to Smart 'phones - but as always there are unintended consequences.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9