The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Got to prepare dinner soon as I will be off out to the SEERS meeting tonight. Track night tonight so will have to get there early otherwise it can mean a wait for a track to be free. Tea is ready for pouring so its be back later.

• Like 17

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Venice is a most enjoyable and atmospheric place. As an aside, Venice is loosing a lot of its native population, which means entire Villas (not just apartments) on the canals are going for a song. I was quite tempted.... Just think, for the same price as a pokey little flat in Shoreditch you can buy a Palazzo in Sestiere Cannaregio or Sestiere Castello in Venice...

I'd be more inclined to think about the ever-rising cost of preventing it sinking slowly into the lagoon ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

4 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Celery is one of my favourite vegetables - not any of the flavourless sh!t that is imported from Spain but REAL celery grown in Real soil that has a distinctive texture and flavour. Well done. My taste buds have to wait until the real stuff appears in the local outlets from October to December.

I was a bit premature lifting it, not ready yet, still too bitter to eat raw, will be ok in soups and stews, I'll wait until bonfire night before lifting the next one.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Busy week.

Golf report from a few days ago

Thursday - North West Seniors League President's Day at Berrington. Individual scores counting towards a team score.

We finished a creditable 3rd. (My own score matched the average of our 10 scores to count out of 12.

Friday - Captain's Day out at Kirkby Lonsdale - the day promised to be very, very wet, passing through two distinct weather systems on the way there, but was sunny from the first tee.

I finished in 4th place.

Two days of golf where I felt I played quite well, but results didn't show it.

Hockey report.

A home 2-3 loss against Widnes Wild (they were the winners of the league below last year but there wasn't any relegation/promotion).

The Hawks are a late team to form for this season and a number of them hadn't played together, but were starting to gel and it was only in the 3rd period that the Hawks started to really play and the last 5 minutes was an all-out assault on the Widnes defensive zone, but credit to them, the Wild resisted for a well deserved win.

I didn't manage to get to the return match on the Sunday, but a 10-5 win for the Hawks shows that things are coming together.

Problem is the next match that I'll most likely see is 6 weeks time (holiday/exhibition/work commitments)

Unless we go to an away game.

Much modelling has also been done,  including submission of an article to a magazine regarding one of my projects - although you'll have to look elsewhere on RMw for that....

Back to the golf.

Club singles knockout final today.

After two semi-final losses in the past few years and a defeat in the final last year, I was looking to take it one further.

A hard fought game with holes swapped and halved - with nothing more than one hole between us until I go 2 up after 13.

Managed to throw away a half on the 17th that would have given me the 2&1 win. 

So 1 up on the last tee. Opponent misses a 6 footer to win the 18th to send the match into sudden death.

Game over, job done.

Very happy.

There may be a mid-week celebratory beverage consumed later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Her indoors has completed  booking our next adventure. Roll on 2020!

Lawns mowed, tidying up done. No Test Match viewing as our sky box is poorly. After waiting a week repair man will be with us tomorrow morning.

Time for a mugadecaf and ...sleep!

Night all. Positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing

Baz

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Doctor Knee's place called to tell me my exoskeleton knee-brace had arrived. I did the 1.5 mile circuit with Shona while wearing the brace and it does seem to work. There were none of the twinges I've been getting recently.

The brace is designed to transfer the load from the dodgy cartilage to the "good" side. The only problem is I'm not sure any of my trousers will go over it so I may have to wear my kilt instead.

For skiing I might have to buy some tight fitting legging things and wear the brace on the outside. Should be a good conversation piece on the lifts. "Ho yes! Burglared it up when I went off-piste last season at St. Moritz."

A knee brace was mentioned to me today as a possibility if things don't improve/ get worse.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The other thing they could do better (or would it mean giving away trade secrets) is for the narrator to tell us more about what they are using to do what they are doing (e.g. "XXX is cleaning the paintwork with a 5% solution of methylated spirits diluted with water", mind you I suspect that a lot of the chemicals they use are only "available to the trade" and require all kinds of special handling). As today's programming goes, the Repair Shop doesn't "dumb down" as much as many other programmes, but it could be more informative....

This programme may answer a few questions . . . . . . . .

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/salvage-hunters-the-restorers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

56 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I think we're supposed to "downsize" at my age, but we seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Most of what is in the view is an undeveloped one-third acre lot across the street. We've been very fortunate because it has remained undeveloped since we bought this place in 1995. Panic set in when the owner put the vacant lot up for sale in August. MrsID was particularly alarmed at the prospect of having to look at a house where none had been for 24 years so after a fair bit of hand-wringing and financial jiggery-pokery we bought the vacant lot.

This also means that I'll be able to fell the trees that are blocking our view of the lake. 24 years ago they were only a few feet tall and we had a great view. We will plant small trees to replace them. The lot also comes with a boat slip on a community dock. We were sold a boat slip along with this house, but as it turned out we were stiffed! The boat slip is transferable to our existing lot, but we'll let our kids decide what they want to do when the time comes.

56 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We have the trees abut no lake but which is better than the back of another house.  My moving days are over after the last episode; couldn't face that disruption again.  Why should we, the house is all ours in a nice area and as its a three BR which is just right for my wife and I so no real need to downsize.  What would I do with the layout anyway?  There are important things in life!:)

Brian.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Track night went well, I tested a couple of items one of which was taken out of the box for the first time despite being purchased three or four years ago, despite that it ran perfectly.

1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

This programme may answer a few questions . . . . . . . .

https://www.questod.co.uk/show/salvage-hunters-the-restorers

I have a couple of wooden chairs that are about 90 years old and with an interesting history, they were church pews sold off when the church was rebuilt. I might get in touch with them to see if they can be restored.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2019 at 14:57, Gwiwer said:

...snip... (I often suggest crossing the road into Bushy Park) with free-roaming DEER :O  "Oh my - you have DEER ..... how CUTE!!!" a ...snip...

Hmmm, that would not impress me, I have my own:1536588796_Deerinyard-002.JPG.5b3452c5a26b9013af689fb82c919c0f.JPG:

• Like 19