The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just starting to cloud over here, just as predicted in the weather forecast which also predicted a lot of sunshine for most of England, though the cloud will stay in the SE until lunchtime. As I briefly mentioned last night the clubhouse will be closed for 2-3 weeks, its even been suggested that some members could do some modelling in the meantime. Talking of underpinning thats something I wouldn't want to do on a Venetian property, that is why such properties are cheap. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings all from LBG where the clouds Phil reported are starting to give way to blue skies.

Yesterday's 11+ was sat along with all the children. Apparently there was nothing about anxiety in the EHCP so the panel rejected the request made on Younger Lurker's behalf. I quoted relevant passages from the EHCP back to the LEA, well aware that they were not going to change their mind. Really the school should have been responding far more swiftly but the SENCO did nothing beyond the bare minimum. Fortunately, Younger Lurker was unfazed and told us it was easy. Whether that was easy as in I could do all the questions and think I got them right, or it was easy as in it was all too hard to think about but it was multiple choice we don't know.

The LEA response was useful in that it allowed us to modify the piece we have written as to why a particular school is our preferred choice. That has been posted today, and the school SENCO has no part in it - which is probably for the best as in our opinion she is overstretched, underqualified, and with a tendency not to put herself out to get to understand the children she is supposed to be dealing with; a key pre-requisite if you ask me.

Advice to Dom; unpack as soon as you can; the longer you leave it, the greater the danger you'll not get around to it and the packing boxes will be used in your next house move in umpteen years' time or to take the same contents to the tip!

John; I wish that I had been given your advice on dissertations when I did mine. I deliberately chose a subject area that had a paucity of primary source material (7th century Northumbrian church history) and was thus free to use my imagination to paint connections between the various Anglo Saxon royal houses, the monasteries, the bishops and the Saints. St Wilfrid's career became part of an insidious plan by the Northumbrian royal house to exercise power over the church by getting relations into high places. Mind you, I think my tutor would have been put off by the error on the second word - "seventeenth" instead of "seventh" which I had not spotted.

Reading back that synopsis makes me think it might be quite fun to re-read it with a mature and critical eye. I haven't looked at it since 1988!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Mine was in organo-phosphorus chemistry, guaranteed first class travel on the Northern Line at 6pm.  After a while one gets used to the smell of bad eggs times ten, courtesy of an ineffective fume cupboard, other people don't.  My media search was simples, trace the history of everyone involved in the PhD completed a decade earlier, plus their immediate contacts.  I found two new references, which were incorporated in my dissertation.  Remember this was in the days when an Elliott was the most modern computer and who was going to spend time on a dissertation basically recording why there were no alternate routes to di-phosphorous tri-ethylene.  Happy days.

Bill

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Is there a happy "mid day" greeting, bit late for morning...……………..(I have been doing some of the "G" word before being rained off, first time I have grown some trench celery, it looks fab, just need to taste it now). A small amount of muddling took place yesterday, need to get a move on then weathering can commence.

DSC02644.JPG

Celery is one of my favourite vegetables - not any of the flavourless sh!t that is imported from Spain but REAL celery grown in Real soil that has a distinctive texture and flavour. Well done. My taste buds have to wait until the real stuff appears in the local outlets from October to December.

• Like 15

From another post, the church has decided not to renew the crib set this year.  We will stay with Robert Loggio and Dorothy McGuire (who are in good nick) plus Tom and Jerry, the ox and ass.  Jerry in particular needs a session with the pollyfilla then my modelling paints, probably weathered wood and rusty rails.  As Flavio wrote, I need to retain the patina.

To stop you hunting the references, Robert Loggio and Dorothy McGuire were Joseph and Mary in "The Greatest Story Ever Told".  Yes, our crib set are blond haired and blue eyed!  The animal references are more obscure, Mungo the donkey came to our Palm Sunday service.

Bill

• Like 8
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

John; I wish that I had been given your advice on dissertations when I did mine. I deliberately chose a subject area that had a paucity of primary source material (7th century Northumbrian church history) and was thus free to use my imagination to paint connections between the various Anglo Saxon royal houses, the monasteries, the bishops and the Saints. St Wilfrid's career became part of an insidious plan by the Northumbrian royal house to exercise power over the church by getting relations into high places. Mind you, I think my tutor would have been put off by the error on the second word - "seventeenth" instead of "seventh" which I had not spotted.

Reading back that synopsis makes me think it might be quite fun to re-read it with a mature and critical eye. I haven't looked at it since 1988!

The critical thing that I need from my students is evidence, not flights of fancy. Evidence is a rarity sometimes.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

Tesco has been shopped. lunch has been lunched, and the local 'paper has been read.  the latter includes some words from the local green nutter about 'car free' s Sunday this coming weekend and leaving the car at home.  i think I shall do my best to comply and take the Good Doctor's car instead should I happen to venture to Tesco for the 'papers so it means I won't be driving my car.

And this afternoon I have 'discussed' the car insurance renewal with the admiral's Welsh branch.  We have a multicar policy for the lad and myself and they were looking for an extra £100 on top of last year's total of £620, including a 21% increase on the cost for my car (and a less than 9% increase for the lad's Mini Cooper - odd difference there). Negotiations and threats to cancel all our policies with Admiral (i.e. cars, household, and travel) got the renewal cost down to £607.26.  Agreeing to a lumped in renewal date for household and the cars got the renewal down to £560.  Seems insurance companies are rather like double glazing salesmen in that they offer you their 'best price' and then cower into submission when you speak to them nicely and utter a few veiled threats    Result

Time for sudoku I think as herself has finished her crossword so teh 'paper is available to scrawl on.  Have a good day one and all.  And what fabulous celery TB, nicely blanched too.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1