The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Our daughter in California booked a week-long Cannibal Cruise on the S S Norovirus to Mexico next spring. They invited us to join them. MrsID is going. I'm giving it a miss.

I have usually checked to see which cruise lines have had ships impounded by the CDC. Some seem to occur more often. The ships we go can't be faulted in their attempts to maintain hygiene. 

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I have usually checked to see which cruise lines have had ships impounded by the CDC. Some seem to occur more often. The ships we go can't be faulted in their attempts to maintain hygiene. 

Perhaps it's a specialty of Cannibal Cruise Line? (I don't see them, or Carnival for that matter on this page.)

I will say the Dutch seem to have a proclivity for it.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Tonights club meeting was cut a bit short and will be the last for at least two weeks. I mentioned some time ago that the clubhouse had subsided. We were told on Monday that they were going to underpin the building starting next Monday. We had to empty the two rooms affected so that the work can be carried out. Now time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening to most (other times of day available to those outside the UK)

Phone call at lunchtime meant I umpired a cricket match today. Very tiring as I umpired 90 overs on my own.

Quick visit to the model railway club tonight to hand some items over.

Dom, glad to hear the move has gone well.

Hope Sandy gets her scan asap. Follow up treatment should help her, hopefuĺy.

Positive thoughts to all who ail or are missing!

Baz 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the rain this morning was ceaseless, stopping just before dinner, but as we had Ava, Evie and Max coming round and I was on the school run this afternoon, it didn’t give me anytime to take the shelving outside to do the sanding, as I had to pack up early, so I could have a mid afternoon muggertea before heading out for the said school run. 

However, the day wasn’t wasted as I managed to get the final 2 coats of varnish on the stairs and I was also able to test, cut and fit (temporarily) the shelving that I acquired last week. However, I seem to have more shelving than will fit in the area I’d got planned, so what isn’t used in the cellar, will go into the shed or workshop instead.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps it's a specialty of Cannibal Cruise Line? (I don't see them, or Carnival for that matter on this page.)

I will say the Dutch seem to have a proclivity for it.

Carnival are well and truly there.  They own the following cruise lines/brands, some of which appear on that list rather frequently -

Carnival Cruise Line

P&O  Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

Princess Cruises

Seabourn Cruise Line

P&O Cruises Australia

Carnival Australia

Carnival Cruise Shipping (Hong Kong)

Costa Cruises, Italy

AIDA Cruises, Germany 

When I was working for Lloyds Register and was out in Aus in 2005 I had to turn down joining one of our Shipping Inspectors on an inspection/audit of the QE2  because I already had a meeting arranged elsewhere.  Net result was he held the ship in Sydney for an extra 2 days for various remedial stuff as he found alleyways blocked with gash, watertight doors jammed by rubbish or on purpose and various other faults - and all he was doing was mainly a maritime safety compliance audit visit;  that was six years after Carnival had taken over Cunard.  One of the other chaps in the office did regular inspections and audits on pilgrim ships from the Far East to Saudi and they regularly had a better record than the QE2 returned on that occasion.

• Informative/Useful 16

25 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Carnival are well and truly there.  They own the following cruise lines/brands, some of which appear on that list rather frequently -

Carnival Cruise Line

P&O  Cruises

Cunard

Holland America

Princess Cruises

Seabourn Cruise Line

P&O Cruises Australia

Carnival Australia

Carnival Cruise Shipping (Hong Kong)

Costa Cruises, Italy

AIDA Cruises, Germany 

When I was working for Lloyds Register and was out in Aus in 2005 I had to turn down joining one of our Shipping Inspectors on an inspection/audit of the QE2  because I already had a meeting arranged elsewhere.  Net result was he held the ship in Sydney for an extra 2 days for various remedial stuff as he found alleyways blocked with gash, watertight doors jammed by rubbish or on purpose and various other faults - and all he was doing was mainly a maritime safety compliance audit visit;  that was six years after Carnival had taken over Cunard.  One of the other chaps in the office did regular inspections and audits on pilgrim ships from the Far East to Saudi and they regularly had a better record than the QE2 returned on that occasion.

Great info. Thanks Mike!

My idea of the "right" cruise ship would be something not much bigger than the P S Waverley although I thought the DEPV Talisman was a bit more interesting.

Andy

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Great info. Thanks Mike!

My idea of the "right" cruise ship would be something not much bigger than the P S Waverley although I thought the DEPV Talisman was a bit more interesting.

Andy

Small ships are much more our thing hence our regular trips on a vessel which takes a maximum of 12 passengers and where the 'entertainment' is mainly jigsaw puzzles.

G'night all

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, AndyID said:

I found a US source for the phenolic-paper copper laminate. It arrived today and I ran a test.  Not too bad. I still need to make a lot of adjustments and incorporate auto-leveling software but this is a usable circuit board.

DSCN4636.JPG.4bdff8620899ceba312aeb4e3bc9cf6e.JPG

Andy:

Is it worth asking what the segments with one hole in them are for?  It doesn't look big enough to solder a lead to.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

We went to the pipe band's last outdoor concert of the season. Rain was forecast for after 8, but we had a few drops about 6:45. When there was thunder just after their first medley, SWMBO was up and away and I followed with the chairs. We were home just after 7 and I saw that the road was wet. Then big thunder bumpers.

I must have picked up the chairs the wrong way as I now have a sore lower back.

John Colby: when I was in university, there was a page translating phrases in academic papers. Something like:

"Smith's brilliant deduction" -- Smith was a student of mine.

"Despite Jones's efforts" -- Jones was not.

Do you have anything like that?

• Like 16

48 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Andy:

Is it worth asking what the segments with one hole in them are for?  It doesn't look big enough to solder a lead to.

Hi David,

I'm glad somebody is paying attention ;)

Good question; there is a six pin dual-in-line optocoupler integrated circuit installed there but two of its pins are "no connects".

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

Good morning one and all

I remembered to water the tomato plant yesterday.  Some of the branches could do with being tied up but despite the systematic neglect to which I have subjected the poor plant it has produced a few nearly red fruits already.  The area surrounding the pot needs removal of triffids as a matter of urgency.  If I decide not to go to where I am supposed to be on Saturday it may get done then.

So where am I supposed to be on Saturday?  Pride in Milton Keynes.  At the second time of asking the organisers have now told me that there will be no parade.  That is a pity, for I get quite a buzz from proclaiming my allegiance by marching with large numbers of others.  Several members of the local LGBT group may be going and being an old git it will cost me nothing to get there on the bus.  We shall see.

The saga of the unavailable tablets reached ludicrous proportions yesterday.  One of the ladies at my local pharmacy has taken it upon herself to track down the tablets and, for all the good it will do, has involved the GP surgery.  She phoned me to say that a pharmacy on the edge of town had some in stock.  Unfortunately that pharmacy had no knowledge of this when I phoned to check.  I found it difficult to keep my annoyance out of my voice when I spoke to my regular pharmacy.  I do not take kindly to being badgered and have already said that I will contact the oncologist who first prescribed them.  I dread to think what will happen next.

There is ironing which demands my attention.  It should try asking nicely.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17