The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

In spite of a reliance on tourism, especially from the US, there isn't much evidence of a bilingual society unless they were all being bloody minded.  

Quebec City is not, and does not claim to be, a bilingual society!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Gdb...plasters ready .. just in case.

Nice to have Mike and Dr Station Cat along to helprun the layout today.

Tired but after a couple of pints in the Glue Pot and a curey now time to catch up on my sleep.

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

a couple of pints in the Glue Pot and a curey

Curry cures many things but I've never heard it called a curey.  Must have been those pints :jester:

And with that - good night.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pH said:

Quebec City is not, and does not claim to be, a bilingual society!

The guide today showed us that in Quebec the stop signs state Arret but on the Plains of Abraham which is a national park they say Stop and Arret. 

The tour today was in English and English speaking guides were available at the various sites we visited. They did all mention English was not their first language. 

Tomorrows tour of the countryside is early morning so afterwards we will have an afternoon to wander. 

Tony

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I had a good old spend at the Wakefield show today, I had rather a long shopping list and I was able to purchase almost everything on it, as well as a couple of things that caught my eye, but the most I spent on a single item was £20.00. I did have quite a bargain on the members sale table, picking up 6 second hand Lenz decoders, 4 gold and 2 others for a total of £25.00. I also bumped into Chrisf and we had a brief chat before we both went our separate ways. Tomorrow I will have a lot of stuff to put away, but that will have to be after I’ve washed the car, as it is in need of cleaning, having not been done since May, when it was serviced. 

Goodnight all. 

• Like 17

59 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The guide today showed us that in Quebec the stop signs state Arret but on the Plains of Abraham which is a national park they say Stop and Arret. 

The tour today was in English and English speaking guides were available at the various sites we visited. They did all mention English was not their first language. 

Tomorrows tour of the countryside is early morning so afterwards we will have an afternoon to wander. 

Tony

If they are not actually a bilingual society, then a lot speak English, usually with heavy accent which is better than my French so we get by.

Brian.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

James Wolfe was much more successful in 1759 on the Plains of Abraham than were Benedict Arnold and Richard Montgomery on New Year's Eve in 1775.

On a personal level Wolfe and Montgomery had the same fate - each of theme died at the gates of Québec.

Despite having earlier captured Montreal, Montgomery is largely forgotten. Had Arnold and Montgomery succeeded it could have greatly impacted the subsequent prosecution of the war. Arnold of course would later be instrumental* in the defeat of John Burgoyne (attacking from Canada) at Saratoga in 1777, leading to the French entering the war.

* His superior officer, Horatio Gates would claim the credit and then lobby the Congress to replace Washington as commander in chief. His career as a general ended with his horse carrying him as fast as possible away from Cornwallis after being defeated at Camden, South Carolina in 1780. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare, 

Now light,   had about 6 hours sleep. ,

Plans for today,  rig mast, weigh boat,  take pictures,  mast down,  sand insides, fill where required, maybe first coat of bulge paint. 

Snooze button time... 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a land that makes no pretence to be bilingual.  However  many people answer in English if I make a reasonable attempt to ask in French.  

It is certainly getting autumnal and the nights are closing in. Our neighbour across the road now rides his mower tractor round the garden at 7.45pm rather than 9pm. Allegedly it's his way of calming down after a row with his Mrs.  We've chrstened him, "The Night Mower". I'm sure that could be a book title.  He rides for a couple of minutes. Then it goes quiet for 10 minutes, 2 minutes more ridi g, 10 more minutes of quiet then a final burst of noise.   

Anyway, much ivy was cut off  the wall yesterday morning and hopefully the mayor will be happy. Despite lower overnight temperatures the pool was still 26 when I got in to give it a hoover.  We had a walk round the village after tea, going scrumping. Some friends whove gone back tothe UK have told us to take as many as we can from their garden.

Today Le Chasse resumes after it's summer break, I believe that it's only for Pheasant shooting this month. I just hope that no peasants get harmed after their customary lunch break.

Off to the market this morning then out for lunch at some friends house.

Good to here a positive day of news from John and Sandy. The situation in the Bahamas sounds terrible.  The less said about the cricket the better.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Enjoy Swindon those of you who are going I've too much to do today to swan off after being away for a few days laundry etc  

I've got to search out some suitable venues to take the new lady to, gardens and the like google here I come.

Enjoy your day :superman:Ivor Stiffen :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining so I'm off to get all the stuff required for cleaning the car. 

Back later. 

• Like 14