The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

POETS, and I'll be relieved to POE :)

Yesterday continued the wholesale re-work of existing reports/dashboards and addition of a few new requirements that need designing.

Not sure "why", as it's just a normal weekend best I can tell around here, but, several of the folks I work with at the client are taking the day off today - certainty of some thumb twiddling time to occur before I depart for JFK.

Dorian won't make it here before I leave, but will be safely off the coast (100+ miles or more sounds like) when it does pass by. Even so, it's overcast and expected to be that way most of the day, and all the NY beaches are posted as closed all weekend due to rip current and high surf advisories. Doubtless that'll not stop some foolish folks venturing out "because they can"...

16 and cloudy driving in only managing 20 for the high with some light rain later, expecting to be OK for my getting out of here - certainly hope so.

Tally ho!

• Like 19

19 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Greetings all from a cloudy but currently dry LBG.

Last night's trip to the micropub was good. I bumped into the guy who did our central heating. Apparently Mrs Lurker's recommendations of his work have given so much business he felt he had to buy me and my mate a pint. It would have been rude to turn it down. He was in the curry house too when we got there, but we bought our own curry!

There are reorganisations upon reorganisations at our place. I hope it's not a case of rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

Best wishes to all, especially John and Sandy

Which one? please reveal all. 

Today's useless trivia, all 4 micropubs in Sidcup start with the letter H. Hopper's Hut. Hackney Carriage, Halfway, Hanger. The carriage is our favourite. 

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

It's raining!I

Right on cue. It is past Labor Day.

We are expecting (light) rain this weekend. We missed the thunderstorms suggested for yesterday, though they did appear in various locations in the state. High temperatures will also drop back into the low 20°Cs. (It was 33°C yesterday.) Along with (American) football season, Autumn is here.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Kingzance said:

As to events in a green area of Manchester, least said I guess but I am praying for three days of rain in that location, even if it affects Brian's swimming.

Brian, you beat me to it with your reply!

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Once I'm in the water, I can't get much wetter! 

However, I recall a song by The Barron Knights, entitled I'm a Nut, which asks the question: "Is it wetter under water if you're there when it rains?"

• Like 6
  • Funny 10

12 hours ago, chrisf said:

Good morning one and all

Other distractions of late include several silent phone calls.  What is the point of these, other than to irritate?  My knee-jerk reaction to them is now to dial 1572 and block the number.  Sometimes I try to call back and ask why a silent call has been made to me.  All too frequently a recorded voice tells me that the number I have called has not been recognised.  Also this week I have taken a couple of calls which can be nothing but a blatant scam.  A sultry female voice would have me believe that she is my internet service provider and that my internet will be discontinued unless I press 1 now.  Ooh, I’m so scared.  I’ve tried blocking that number too but the calls still gets through.  I suppose things would be even worse if I were not ex-directory.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Latest on this problem, I now get calls from myself and from our number, I don't dare pick it up!  Although there have been many decrees from the powers that be about doing something about this kind of call, nothing ever changes and nothing appears to be done about it.  It isn't much use  as its probably a machine somewhere rotodialling millions of numbers randomly until it comes eventually to yours.  Comcast basically throws its collective arms up and blames current technology.:ireful:

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 19

13 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Latest on this problem, I now get calls from myself and from our number, I don't dare pick it up!  Although there have been many decrees from the powers that be about doing something about this kind of call, nothing ever changes and nothing appears to be done about it.  It isn't much use  as its probably a machine somewhere rotodialling millions of numbers randomly until it comes eventually to yours.  Comcast basically throws its collective arms up and blames current technology.:ireful:

Brian.

Brian,

We use Spectrum and it includes the option to use Nomorobo for no extra charge. Nomorobo blocks the calls after one ring. I'd say it filters out about 80% of the junk.

Andy

Edited by AndyID
typhoo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Just back from a couple of days in darkest Yorkshire*. I had to go up to see some people from the K&WVR so Jill and I decided to make it a break away. We spent several hours after getting to Haworth yesterday going up and down the line looking at some projects they have under consideration, which was informative as well as enjoyable apart from the frequent sight at the head of the train of an Ivatt 2-6-2T painted bright red (!?). Then we did the culture bit and went to the Bronte museum in Haworth where I learned a lot about the family, which was not difficult as I knew hardly anything about them beforehand. We stayed in a pub in Haworth where I did some quality assessment on Timothy Taylor's produce and this morning went to Skipton Castle for a history lesson. That was followed by making our way up the Midland line through Hellifield, Long Preston** and Settle, with a few stops at stations en route, then across the Forest of Bowland through Slaidburn and by degrees back to North Hipposhire. All in all a pleasant sojourn and despite the slight tendency towards railways, Jill enjoyed it all.

Back to the niffnaff and trivia tomorrow.

Have a good evening etc. everyone, with thoughts for those with troubles, especially for HH's eye problem and for John and Sandy. 

Dave

* Actually I really like Yorkshire

** Didn't manage to find your old layout though, Jamie     

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

** Didn't manage to find your old layout though, Jamie     

It's in the village hall. Set back about 100 yards to the south of the A65 opposite the pub IIRCthe maypole. Turn keft by Rohan books.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Couldn't find any stockist of waterproof MDF so I had to fall back on hardboard. The old hardboard underlay is in one piece cut from a 4X8 sheet except for where it goes round the wash basin pedestal and the toilet where various offcuts were shaped to fit. As I could only fit 2X4 sheets in the car I purchased 3 of that size and had one cut lengthwise to make 2 1X4 pieces. The bathroom is 5 feet by 5' 3" so the two full boards and one of the half boards will cover most of the floor and the other half board can be cut to fit around the loo and pedestal. I might even have a new floor covering, I have found a forgotten roll of Cushionfloor that should fit and as the old covering is getting a bit tatty thats going to be replaced. Incidently that covering replaced the carpet that was fitted in the bathroom when I purchased the house. When I lifted that old carpet I found that a piece had been cut and fitted inside the wash basin pedestal. :wacko:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

That's me....Dangerous Bob. I take no prisoners!  :butcher:

There were certain officers that never seemed to take any prisoners we called them gurkhas.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

I actually managed to find all the cucumbers I was instructed to pick yesterday and am told that the two the size of baby  marrows are my fault because they will get that big in 24 hours and obviously they hadn't previously been missed by the  Picker In Chief. (which is nonsense because I had a job reaching them and the Picker In chief has got shorter arms than me - but I decided not to remind her of that fact).  She duly visited Sister Drac this morning so we now await the results - they are doing a Vitamin B12 test so the outcome of that could be very interesting. 

Some of the nuisance calls can br great fun - the Microsoft 'help' people who want to take over your 'puter get really hacked off if you answer 'yeasssss'  to everything they tell you to do or ask you,  while some of the female callers don't seem very keen to be treated to a lot of heavy breathing (due to my cold you'll understand).  Mrs Stationmaster however tends to be very direct with some and tells them to go forth and multiply - or words to that effect - rather unladylike but by golly it hacks them off.  Best one I ever had was some bloke who I told to get lost getting his 'supervisor' to call back to ask why I had told his minion to get lost, so I told him to get lost as well, he did.

Off to Pigs Hill tomorrow for the exhibition at Steam where Baz will be in evidence (and possibly others of our number?).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 18