The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A letter has just arrived in the post from a company called Bluecrest screening offering me a complete medical check up 'For the all inclusive price of £129.'. Question is why pay £129 when I can go to my GP and get it done for free? I received another letter from my credit card company asking for my mobile number, the latest of many each a bit more insistant than the last. This is despite my telling them that I do not have a mobile, though they do say that other arrangements will be made for those who like me do not have mobiles. The reason they say they require a mobile number is to confirm on-line transactions.

Not just online transactions. Last week in Berlin I received text messages with confirmation requests every bloody time I tried to use one card. Annoying, but I can see the reasoning behind it. Card companies now have to meet this new PSD2 standard of protection. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

A p*ss up in a brewery is something that GTR would not be trusted with. Hate them with a passion (far worse then estate agents type of thing) now and my other half is now on a bus from Purley as no trains heading south via Redhill due to either:

1- signal failure

2 - points failure

3- trespassers

They are the online / train announcement being given to her. I know that today it's unlikely to be their fault but many often are such as Mondays shortage of crew maent that her train avoided Redhill despite it running on time. 

I bought her a half of Lewes Castle Brown but its getting warm so I may have to drink it and get her another when she eventually makes it. Another claim this week for Delay Repay though its a pittance for the hassles she gets virtually every day.

Aa good say for me as me and brother dismantled one of mum's sheds that was leaning precariously. Today was the first time we had the door  open since. Mum moved in over a year ago. Had to rip the door off!

Earthquake!

20190905_121943.jpg

I thought dorian had got here.. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 15

8 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Piss, Couldn't, Up, Brewery etc, etc, etc.

Whilst I often have cause to imply this sentiment, most people understand that "it's a very sober brewery"!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The credit card that the company needs my mobile number for I use very rarely and only for Paypal transactions. I am considering doing away with it altogether. My credit card usage is minimal anyway, I don't bother remembering the the pin numbers which means I use credit cards hardly at all. Now time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

One of the excursions tomorrow is "explore archipelago by Zodiac". I wonder if that will go ahead. We will be ashore looking at some exhibition about what happened when First Nations people met the French. 

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The credit card that the company needs my mobile number for I use very rarely and only for Paypal transactions. I am considering doing away with it altogether. My credit card usage is minimal anyway, I don't bother remembering the the pin numbers which means I use credit cards hardly at all. 

It has been the stated wish of several Chancellors of The Exchequer that this nation moves away from any form of cash transaction and banks even charge their business customers to take the proceeds of their commerce. Looking at the impact of the Indian government’s withdrawal of large denomination banknotes and its impact on savings shows clearly that the small saver is someone to be screwed. Many years of seeing how governments attempt to sneak in their nefarious schemes - of which their cashless society is yet another - mean I am extremely wary but I also recognise the need to keep both debit and credit cards active. The consumer does have some small improvements in redress against failure when goods or services have been purchased using a credit card too. I still prefer to pay for small purchases (a pint in the pub, half a dozen eggs, a bottle of milk etc.) and leave gratuities in cash.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8

Many years ago my boss organised a trip round Marstons in Burton for the local agricultural discussion group, on the way back he was complaining about the number who hadnt bothered to come. I pointed out that no one could say that he could not organise a p-up in a brewery!

Thoughts with Sandy &John

Night awl

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2